Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #331
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Yes, you need the damper, top cap, and lower plug with comp. adjuster.

I did not use a spacer and ended up with 275mm travel total. Will see how this effects handling since ride height should be the same as before.

The diameter will be identical to the donor legs, but depending on the casting the depth will vary. I did the following:

Bore leg 1.112" Diameter Thru All

Bore leg to 1.242" Diameter stopping 0.375" up from previous bore.
I'm headed to a machine shop that I have used a lot to talk about the project. But I see you royally screwed this up epicx. You machined in inches and not millimeters!!!!!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #332
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Haha try and find a metric shop in the us ;)
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #333
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Those links are going to prove invaluable to me once I start playing with the setup! Thanks!
Glad my tuning tips cheat sheet is helpful. Once you get them set up you'll find you only make slight adjustments for road vs off road. For me it was 2 clicks less compression for off road... but then again I'm not the most agressive off roader around these parts. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #334
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Haha try and find a metric shop in the us ;)
I can name several my company deals with all the time.

when almost anything automotive is metric it's not difficult.

besides metrics easier.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #335
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Can anyone tell me how to remove the damper rod from the internal tube on the Shiver forks?

I am not sure of it's name, but its a metal tube that the damper rod goes into. Looks like the piece that stops it from sliding out unscrews off of the tube, but I dont wanna try it unless I am sure
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #336
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
I can name several my company deals with all the time.

when almost anything automotive is metric it's not difficult.

besides metrics easier.
I agree, but I have a hard time finding places that will take a metric drawing. They all want inch tolerances.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #337
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
Can anyone tell me how to remove the damper rod from the internal tube on the Shiver forks?

I am not sure of it's name, but its a metal tube that the damper rod goes into. Looks like the piece that stops it from sliding out unscrews off of the tube, but I dont wanna try it unless I am sure
Check out this manual, I'll need a photo to say for sure what step you're at.

http://www.americanbeta.com/sites/de...e%20shiver.pdf
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #338
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
I agree, but I have a hard time finding places that will take a metric drawing. They all want inch tolerances.
You could do what I did to our Fabricator.....He wanted inch and fractions

I gave him metric with decimals, Inch with decimals, and inch with fractions. It's easy with cad.

If I had been a real ass about it I would have dimensioned to a 1/32".
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #339
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

So forks arrived, apart, and ready for machine shop....

Only problem, is finding a damn shop to do it!!! I went to 4 local shops, and called another 4 and NOT a single one would or could machine the forks...

So, I called up Dale at J-B Machine(thanks to Gangplank) and he was very helpful and knew exactly what I was talking about. So, they are being shipped out today and should hopefully be done next week. Shipping was only about $20... Had I just done this in the first place, I would have saved $20 in gas driving all around town.

So, if you are planning on doing this, J-B Machine has the proper tool and know-how to get it done. Should only cost $100
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #340
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Only problem, is finding a damn shop to do it!!! I went to 4 local shops, and called another 4 and NOT a single one would or could machine the forks...

So, I called up Dale at J-B Machine(thanks to Gangplank) and he was very helpful and knew exactly what I was talking about. So, they are being shipped out today and should hopefully be done next week. Shipping was only about $20... Had I just done this in the first place, I would have saved $20 in gas driving all around town.

So, if you are planning on doing this, J-B Machine has the proper tool and know-how to get it done. Should only cost $100
Sweet!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #341
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:

LOL!! Yes Dale is the MAN. The first time he did mine he made a collar for them. The second time he did them for another inmate this year he had to make the collar again b/c it was years ago. This time he game me the collar to hold on to..... So..... today I get a call from him "Hey can you bring that by the shop a guy in Sacramento just called and...

Guess I know who it is. LOL!!! you owe me a beer sometime. Ha!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #342
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Got my forks last night. Got one apart and met with the machine shop. They are going to start sometime next week. Also, pretty sure that I have a short soft Husky spring with a big spacer. Going to have to do a little more comparing, but more than likely going to buy a pair of stiff Aprilia springs.

Thanks again for the disassembly instructions EpicX!

DoWorkSon, sounds like you are steaming along as well. I also need to take sag measurements on F800GS before pulling the forks off. This will help with the spring decision.

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #343
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

DSJ's Shenanigans
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #344
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:

I dropped off the fork holding collar yesterday so he should be all set to make it happen.

By the way:
Tips for shipping forks = a hard plastic gun case works well.
Tips for the machine shop work = give them the stock fork bottoms + one of the donor fork feet + one of the adjusters. Ask them to make the two donor forks be able to accept the bottom adjuster and use the donor fork bottom as the guide of what it needs to be like. With that any good machinist should be able to do the work.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #345
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I dropped off the fork holding collar yesterday so he should be all set to make it happen.

By the way:
Tips for shipping forks = a hard plastic gun case works well.
Tips for the machine shop work = give them the stock fork bottoms + one of the donor fork feet + one of the adjusters. Ask them to make the two donor forks be able to accept the bottom adjuster and use the donor fork bottom as the guide of what it needs to be like. With that any good machinist should be able to do the work.
Thank you sir, Next time I am up around the Tahoe/Reno area I will buy you a pitcher.

Shipping them in a nice hard plastic gun case, with both forks, donor fork, and the rebound adjuster.

Stoked to get them back, revlaved and installed... especially since I have an Elka shock being made at the moment. Gonna be a fun summer of riding