Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #421
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Why do you think so many manufacturers get their forks so far off intended usage?

The f8s forks are pretty average aren't they?
I'd say they are sub par. In fact I think they are probably the lowest budget stock forks I've seen on a modern bike. They compare to an entry level 500cc type commuter bike.

I would understand it on the F700gs at a budget price. The F800gs for the price they charge should come with a real upside down cartridge fork instead of a fake USD "pumping member". The stock forks are literally a welded steel tube with a steel plunger in it and a hole drilled in the tube. That hole is the dampening. No shim stack to tune. Just a plunger and a hole. That is why they can't handle any high speed/square edge bumps.

This fix is less than $700 if you get lucky. For maybe $200 BMW could have offered an upgraded fork. On a $10,000 MSRP bike?! They should at least offerered it as an option for $500 more. Dealer installed option. Half the people would buy it. Half wouldn't know any better.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #422
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
But then what would we upgrade to?

I agree they aren't great from the factory, but I'd say they are adequate for most people - and that's the box they (BMW) want to check.

I'm just glad it's actually possible to do the upgrade, instead of being stuck with some proprietary fork. The Shiver 45 is a great platform and it's easy to work on.

I've learned even more about suspension doing the mod, so it's not all bad I suppose. I guess that's a lame attempt to justify having to upgrade suspension on $12,000 motorcycle
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #423
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
I haven't ridden as much as I would like since I bought a Kawa Super Sherpa Sunday. But I've made a few adjustments that have helped. I am definitely still too soft. I am going to start with going up to the 10W oil and longer preload spacer. If that doesn't get me closer to the ball park, I'll just bite the bullet and get stiffer springs. But its still way better than stock, and I agree with DoWorkSon, I can feel the rear playing catch up now. I've compensated by increasing the damping a little.
The $120 for the springs is sooooo worth it! Do it!
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #424
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
The $120 for the springs is sooooo worth it! Do it!
Agree. Figure out what the right spring is for your weight to get you into the right SAG.

Your weight + 1/2 difference in weight between donor bike and BMW F800GS

Put that in as your rider weight using the spring rate calculator on the race tech website and BE SURE to use the donor bike as the one you are calculating it for. Or check both the donor bike and the BMWF800GS and see what the difference is and get something in the mid range area between the two.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #425
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Just bumped up the preload on the forks tonight and I like what I ..... Feel.

Also forgot to tighten the left caliper bolts completely and found them gone after a short test ride. Got lucky, no damage except to my pride and wallet.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #426
MAJTHUMPER
NW adventure rider

Oddometer: 16
Thumb got em' on

Hey all,

So the new forks are on the bike. thanks to gangplank and the nevada folks! I've only done a run around the neighborhood but hope to do some test and tune this weekend. Just put a new TKC 80 on the front tonight.

For info sake here are the specs on my version of this build:
donor forks were 2004 Husky WR125/250 Shiver 45 - $250 shipped
Had the machine work done by Dale in NV thru gangplank - $100
Ed McCoy did the build up thru gangplank - $463 including shipping
A little thanks and gas $ for GP brings total to about $965
Tech data: springs .52, oil 5wt maxum, air space 110mm, 1.5" spacer, stock preload. I weigh about 225 in gear plus boxes and other gear at about 50-60# most of the time.

Impression so far is they are much smoother than stock. I ran over the curbs like they weren't there.

I have other mods but this it the best / only suspension mod so far. next is prob a rear shock and steering damper. love new wheels but damn woody's are expensive. doing a high fender and looking at single caliper set up on front brakes with gafer. mod ideas never end right?!

here is the best pic... settings on top of the fork! they should have been there when I picked it up at the dealer...

thanks GP!
'00 BMW K1200 LT (loaded)
MAJTHUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #427
MAJTHUMPER
NW adventure rider

Oddometer: 16
pics/

ok so I don't see an attach option... wtf. oh well
'00 BMW K1200 LT (loaded)
MAJTHUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #428
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
This may be a stupid question (since I have a set of forks coming in) but will this work with the forks for the 2013 F800GS?
PatrickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #429
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
Patrick,
The 45mm Marzocchis will not fit in the axle foot in the new 43mm WP forks. It can be made to work but the fork caps will not fit either without a shim being made.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #430
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
Patrick,
The 45mm Marzocchis will not fit in the axle foot in the new 43mm WP forks. It can be made to work but the fork caps will not fit either without a shim being made.
Doh, thanks! I guess my memory isn't what it used to be. I'm slowly catching up on the other thread and got excited when I found this one (since the machinist and suspension experts are in my backyard). Heck, I found the other F800GS drop-in thread calling your factoid out (and a mental reminder that I have a quote from you! LOL!)

Ah well. If anyone is interested in a set of forks that will fit the older (45mm) forks and are in Reno/Tahoe (or in the San Jose area) then let me know!
PatrickM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #431
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Got some new springs on the way from traxxion, they were great on the phone and are doing a custom wound spring for me. Great people there!
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #432
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Got some new springs on the way from traxxion, they were great on the phone and are doing a custom wound spring for me. Great people there!
What rate springs did ya get? I had .50-.55 in my set & they worked ok at 185 lbs.

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #433
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

.8 kg/mm

Stock is like .5 - .55

These things are so under spring it's unbelievable.

You know I was thinking today that before I did the upgrades I remember riding and hating the stock suspension. There was nothing I could do about it though, nothing to adjust except rear preload and rebound. So, I just pushed it to the limits of the suspension and had a good time.

Now I can ride faster and harder, but I notice every deficiency and try to fix it.

Ignorance is bliss eh?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #434
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
.8 kg/mm

Stock is like .5 - .55

I think stock is under .50, just like the KTM 950 and 990 Adventures.

I am still very surprised at the high spring rates some of you guys are running, over in Orange Crush even the heaviest guys on farkled out and loaded down 990s are not going above .70, nobody even makes anything heavier....
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #435
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Guess I'd have to ride one and see why.. Maybe the wp damping is just that much better, though it could be that the engine weight is so far forward on the 800? Dunno

epicxcrider screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 05:24 AM