ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #541
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 454
Stock BMW is 60mm, RXV is 100mm, I split the diff with 80mm and it works well. 7.5w Motorex.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #542
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERU View Post
Hello guys .

My Ohlins 0.55 springs finnaly came and i will put them on the bike hopefully tomorow. So, i'm 80 kg with riding gear and i wish to have that "plush sensation" anyone talk about.
How much air should i have in the forks and what oil weight ? I'll use Motul since it's the best oil easily available here.

Thx.
When i did mine I went with 100 air over oil as recommended with the forks. If you want it more plus add more air, if you want it more stiff less air & more oil generally works.
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #543
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: North CA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Stock BMW is 60mm, RXV is 100mm, I split the diff with 80mm and it works well. 7.5w Motorex.
That's what I did. Seems to work good for me
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #544
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERU View Post
Hello guys .

My Ohlins 0.55 springs finnaly came and i will put them on the bike hopefully tomorow. So, i'm 80 kg with riding gear and i wish to have that "plush sensation" anyone talk about.
How much air should i have in the forks and what oil weight ? I'll use Motul since it's the best oil easily available here.

Thx.
Mr. Ed McCoy setup mine with 5wt Maxima Oil at 110mm with 0.49 springs and 25mm preload.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #545
ERU
Adventurer
 
ERU's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Bucharest
Oddometer: 38
Wink

Many thx.
I just instaled the springs today. My suspension guru used Motul 10w and he let 90 mm air at my request.
I get her to some country roads this afternoon and the improuvement is major but i think i want it more soft so i may remove some oil from the forks first to see how it's going.
The biggest problem i have now it's that i want a good shok for the rear end .
I'm considering a rear shock from a KTM 990. Does anyone try that ? Or any "cheap " alternative to 1000+ squid aftermarket shocks ?
__________________
Adventure is not a cable channel.Freedom from the prison of pavement.
The beaten path is for beaten people.Pain is momentary.
Giving up is forever.Rest when you're dead.

WINDRIDER
ERU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #546
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: North CA
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Mr. Ed McCoy setup mine with 5wt Maxima Oil at 110mm with 0.49 springs and 25mm preload.
About how much did that revalve/setup from McCoy run you?
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #547
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer
 
epicxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 645
I like my Elka rear shock - was maybe $850? I forget now. Differ t animal though - very sensitive to correct spring and preload.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #548
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
About how much did that revalve/setup from McCoy run you?
Apologies for the delay in replying. Somehow missed your question.

If I recall correctly it was $450 for parts and labor including springs and re-valve. I'll check the invoice later tonight and confirm.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #549
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
I like my Elka rear shock - was maybe $850? I forget now. Differ t animal though - very sensitive to correct spring and preload.
+1

The Elka shock is a great addition along with this fork work.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #550
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
I know where you can order an Elka shock on a discount :-D. Hit me up if you want to order one through the group buy.

I had my forks done through Ed as well. If I recall it was $300 for the labor & revalve + about $120 for the springs & a couple bucks for the spacer, etc.
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #551
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer
 
epicxcrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 645
I did all those suspension mods and its been a street queen since the move to Seattle. Can't wait to REALLY try it out.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #552
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 454
Happy to report that a thorough beating through CO and UT proves the conversion is a great transformation to the front of the bike!

NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #553
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer
 
Gangplank's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 2,294
Nice!!
__________________
Ride more, bark less
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #554
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 1,334
Has anyone found a rear shock brand that can be ordered longer than stock to match the added travel with the Shivers? Elka and Ohlins told me no. Only need 1" at the axle so an extra 1/4"-"3/8" of shock stroke would be good.

I've been running the .95 RT springs for a couple seasons. They are stiff but the .55 were too light for me (255lbs plus gear). RT now has .75 springs. My forks are in at Enzo Racing for a full service, minor valving changes and .75 spring install. Anxious to see how they feel with the changes.
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #555
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer
 
rmhrc628's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The high country VIC
Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Has anyone found a rear shock brand that can be ordered longer than stock to match the added travel with the Shivers? Elka and Ohlins told me no. Only need 1" at the axle so an extra 1/4"-"3/8" of shock stroke would be good.

I've been running the .95 RT springs for a couple seasons. They are stiff but the .55 were too light for me (255lbs plus gear). RT now has .75 springs. My forks are in at Enzo Racing for a full service, minor valving changes and .75 spring install. Anxious to see how they feel with the changes.
Tt ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014