Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #61
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,095
They are not. The G650x lugs have less material available to machine into than the F*GS lugs do. I have a pair of RXV forks I was planning to attach to my 650 but I think I'll need to swap out the lugs completely. I may just use the stock RXV lugs and put on the a dirt bike mud guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K
Do any of you guys know if the 800 fork caps (bottoms) are the same as the ones for the g650x series?

Anybody have custom fork bottoms made?

Cheers.
D
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #62
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
They are not. The G650x lugs have less material available to machine into than the F*GS lugs do. I have a pair of RXV forks I was planning to attach to my 650 but I think I'll need to swap out the lugs completely. I may just use the stock RXV lugs and put on the a dirt bike mud guard.

I'm pretty confused by these posts. The Caps are on top. Fork bottoms are the feet and it has a bottom adjuster.

Are the G650X the Marzocchi Shiver forks?

I believe the HP2 may have a version on some years....
Old 09-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #63
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

The bottoms are also called lugs. The f800 and g650x shivers do not have adjusters on the lugs (bottoms). Both just have a hex head bolt on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
I'm pretty confused by these posts. The Caps are on top. Fork bottoms are the feet and it has a bottom adjuster.

Are the G650X the Marzocchi Shiver forks?

I believe the HP2 may have a version on some years....
Old 09-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #64
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
100mm of air-oil space (100 mm from top)
Are you measuring the 100mm from the top of the inner fork tube or to the top of the outer tube where the cap threads on?

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #65
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
Are you measuring the 100mm from the top of the inner fork tube or to the top of the outer tube where the cap threads on?

Since it was done by Ed McCoy at McCoy's off road in Carson City I am not really sure what measurement he used. I would think the same as every other shop.

W do you know?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #66
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Top of the outer tube, no spring, all inner parts down.
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #67
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W-
Top of the outer tube, no spring, all inner parts down.
Awesome, thanks!

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #68
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Hi ,

I want to convert my F650GS twin to a 800. I read most of the posts on this subject but still not sure what to buy ... I'd buy the stock 800 forks if any of you swaped them .

If not, what should I buy and how will the bottom of fork fit with my abs? Is there a way to fit the abs sensor to any forks?

thx

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #69
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
The 800 forks are bigger in diameter than the 650. To fit the tubes you need to also change out the triple tees. Your forks are damping rod design and the 800 are cartridge. I doubt the innards can be adapted even if they fit.
If you are set on doing this, I would look for the whole front end off a dirt bike, including the wheel.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #70
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

The suspension and wheels is the main difference between the two and the suspension is not great anyway. I'd suggest getting RXV forks and putting them on your 650. Does the 650 has a single front disk? If so, you are golden. Triple trees from an 800 may be needed.

Then call Woody and have him send you spoked wheels of your liking. A little more narrow than the 800 and 18" rear seems prudent to me. That would be an excellent ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000
Hi ,

I want to convert my F650GS twin to a 800. I read most of the posts on this subject but still not sure what to buy ... I'd buy the stock 800 forks if any of you swaped them .

If not, what should I buy and how will the bottom of fork fit with my abs? Is there a way to fit the abs sensor to any forks?

thx
Old 09-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #71
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
The 800 forks are bigger in diameter than the 650. To fit the tubes you need to also change out the triple tees. Your forks are damping rod design and the 800 are cartridge. I doubt the innards can be adapted even if they fit.
If you are set on doing this, I would look for the whole front end off a dirt bike, including the wheel.
Yes , I know they are totally different. I was gona buy some forks from a KTM 950 adv with forks , trees , wheels , rotors etc....but the problem was the abs ... I'm on a tight budget and to mod everyting including buying another spoke rear wheel , I was wayyyyyy over what I wanted to invest. So now I,m looking for another solution ....

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 09-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #72
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
The suspension and wheels is the main difference between the two and the suspension is not great anyway. I'd suggest getting RXV forks and putting them on your 650. Does the 650 has a single front disk? If so, you are golden. Triple trees from an 800 may be needed.

Then call Woody and have him send you spoked wheels of your liking. A little more narrow than the 800 and 18" rear seems prudent to me. That would be an excellent ride.

Yes , single disk... is 21/18 a better setup that 21/17?

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #73
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Hi,
This worked becausee our forks and the RXV forks are the same size and produced by the same company.

If you are looking to improve the 658 forks you can try racetech gold valve inserts or you can try to rework the front end to accept a different fork tube set up.

What outside diameter are your fork tubes at both of the tripple clamps? Once you know that measurement you can see if there are some older dirt bike forks that might work. If there are then you just find a full front end from that bike - forks, wheel, brakes and bake lever (or use the BMW lever). Hope that makes sense.

As far as 21/17 vs 21/18 the 18 is more common. If you are having a set made why not get what most other non-BMW bikes have.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #74
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi,
This worked becausee our forks and the RXV forks are the same size and produced by the same company.

If you are looking to improve the 658 forks you can try racetech gold valve inserts or you can try to rework the front end to accept a different fork tube set up.

What outside diameter are your fork tubes at both of the tripple clamps? Once you know that measurement you can see if there are some older dirt bike forks that might work. If there are then you just find a full front end from that bike - forks, wheel, brakes and bake lever (or use the BMW lever). Hope that makes sense.

As far as 21/17 vs 21/18 the 18 is more common. If you are having a set made why not get what most other non-BMW bikes have.
I already put in Ricor Intiminators in my stock tubes...very satisfied with them but my needs are changing and want more travel and clearance...

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #75
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Ill be selling my Aprilia RXV forks in the coming 2 weeks. Moving to 50mm forks.

Forks and headstocks complete.

Drop me a line if interested.

I am based in Amsterdam, Netherlands but can post anywhere. These things are heavy though, so shipping might cost will be around E100 to the US;

http://www.tntpost.nl/voorthuis/pakk...et-buitenland/