Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #121
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I just bought a set of internals for mine! It was the set I almost bought before that doesn't have the top caps. The guy just randomly responded to an email I sent him back in March.

Gangplank, would you PM or email me the number for Mike G. so I can order me up some fork caps?
Sent ya an email.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #122
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

I've been pondering these solutions for a few days now.

I'm fully convinced that any fork with enough travel (stock or more) that is valve tuneable can be put to use in the F800 stock tubes.

Requirements:
Enough travel - stock or more

Tuneable/adjustments - obvious here but compression and rebound are what you want. Preload is nice if you can get it but set your sag properly (spacer and spring adjustments) and you can get it very close to the right range for both loaded/unloaded up front.

Size - 46mm or less. Ours are 45mm and going up one is probably the max. It is the indide diamater of the tubes that will limit things. I don't know the measurements of ours (inside diamater) but if you know that and compare to any donor forks that are withing a mm you should be ok.

Bottom adjuster (often compression adjuster on dirt bikes) just has to be not so huge that it can't be fit via machining into the bottom lug or bottom foot of the BMW fork. Can't imagine that being an issue but for sure someone will try and find one that is too big.

Top caps - Here is the big issue. The beauty of the aprilia RXV forks is that they are a Marzocchi shiver 45 and b/c of that the top caps fit perfectly. Many other bikes run a Marzocchi shiver 45 fork. It is a very common and very good fork. The BMW F800GS has a Marzocchi 45 but it is a cheap-o version and not the Shiver 45.

According to the Moose Racing Fork Seal specs on ebay the Shiver 45s are used on:
Make: GAS GAS, HUSQVARNA
Model: EC125, EC200, EC250, EC300, EC450, MC125, MC200, MC250, MC300, MC450, SM125, SM200, SM250, SM300, SM450, CR125, WR125, CR250, WR250, SM610, SMR610, TC610, TE610, SMR510, TC510, TE510, SMR570, TC570, TE570, SMR450, TC450, TE450, TC250, TE250
Years: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Style: FORK AND DUST SEAL KIT

Now take that for what it is worth, and I don't have time to check every one of those to match the travel length but again, all you need is more than the BMW (230mm = 9.05 inches) it can be shortened easily with a spacer or spring by any good suspension shop.

Now, if those aren't enough models to search for a pair of forks on other forms, ebay or junk yards.....

The other option - use any fork with 230mm of travel. Take the internals out and have the bottom foot machined to fit the BMW fork. Any machine shop can do it.

Top caps? Use the stock BMW ones and have the machine shop machine the BMW stock top caps to add the adjustments as needed. It really isn't that hard when you think about it.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #123
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
Awesome write-ups and work Gangplank, but I am too lazy! The extra money for a pre-assembled and pre-tuned kit is worth not having to deal with the work, the running back and forth from machine shops, the stress in hoping they get it right, the ripping everything apart and putting back together, etc, etc. IMHO. It may have been easy/doable for you and -W-, but I don't have the time or machining knowledge. Not to mention how hard it is to find a set of used shiver 45's that aren't on a bike being used! I've been searching for months and have not found a single set of used marzocchi 45mm forks for sale in the US.

Springs and oil does the job for riding the bike how it was intended to be ridden.

For those pushing and breaking the bike's limits, this DYI "siver'd fork conversion' or the Ohlins kit or the traxxion kit or the bitubo kit are priceless.

PS Not trying to downplay your fork conversion or be a dick in any way shape or form so no need to take it that way or get aggressive. Just posting my experiences and viewpoint on the subject.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #124
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Guess that is why those companies can charge so much for what you get....

Adding more to the list: "2004 THROUGH 2007 GASGAS EC,DE FSE 125/200/250/300/450 WITH 45MM MARZOCCHI FORKS. ALSO MANY LATE MODEL HUSKY'S AND BETA's."

Thanks to 'Flagger info and link that led to the above additions.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #125
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Awesome write-ups and work Gangplank, but I am too lazy! The extra money for a pre-assembled and pre-tuned kit is worth not having to deal with the work, the running back and forth from machine shops, the stress in hoping they get it right, the ripping everything apart and putting back together, etc, etc. IMHO. It may have been easy/doable for you and -W-, but I don't have the time or machining knowledge. Not to mention how hard it is to find a set of used shiver 45's that aren't on a bike being used! I've been searching for months and have not found a single set of used marzocchi 45mm forks for sale in the US.

Springs and oil does the job for riding the bike how it was intended to be ridden.

For those pushing and breaking the bike's limits, this DYI "siver'd fork conversion' or the Ohlins kit or the traxxion kit or the bitubo kit are priceless.

PS Not trying to downplay your fork conversion or be a dick in any way shape or form so no need to take it that way or get aggressive. Just posting my experiences and viewpoint on the subject.
All good. I'm not gonna bash ya. To each his own I suppose... I know how good my forks are. So does the other inmate who took it for a ride. He had a KTM 990 and likes my BMW front forks better. Just say'n. Never ridden the bitubos or solid gOhlinds so I wouldn't know. I do know that on sport bikes unless you buy the top of the line Ohlins they are as good as other suspension and no better. Yes the top of the line race stuff is worth it for racers. For most of us... its overkill.

For my money this conversion is money well spent. I saved enough vs. Ohlins to be able to buy an Elka shock. LOL! Oh, and I just found another set and sent them off to someone who contacted me about it... If he decides not to get them I'll let people know.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #126
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
I think it's awesome that you and -W- did the research on it and you guys will be the gurus on the F800GS fork conversion, that's for sure. I'm not going to completely x myself out of doing it I guess... I just can't find a dang set of Shiver 45's!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #127
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Forks

I found my donor forks (2000 WR250) on huskycafe.org two minutes after I started looking for donor forks. $50 shipped. Came from Minnesota. Then *I* decided to buy new caps from my local BMW dealer so that they would look nice. Look new, actually.

Rode the bike today.

I *love* my shivered forks. I really do! Especially when I adjusted the compression two clicks.

:-)
Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #128
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
I found my donor forks (2000 WR250) on huskycafe.org two minutes after I started looking for donor forks. $50 shipped. Came from Minnesota. Then *I* decided to buy new caps from my local BMW dealer so that they would look nice. Look new, actually.

Rode the bike today.

I *love* my shivered forks. I really do! Especially when I adjusted the compression two clicks.

:-)
Great to hear Olyrider. I knew you'd like them. I'm did the same +2 clicks on compression and just recently added a few of rebound to slow down the rebound. So dialed in.

BTW it really isn't hard to find them once you know what models to look for. You can check various websites to confirm the fork type and travel. The racetech website has some, others are on various spec sheets, http://racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx (sometimes you get lucky and the racetech gives you the spring rate too which is nice but not for all).

Here is another set on ebay from a husky TE610. I can't guarantee those will work but my guess is that they will.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Husqv...item1c1c2bfe06

And another set off a cannondale from early 2000's but cost a lot more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARZO...item19c3aa4039
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #129
Gaspare
Almost dirt rider

Oddometer: 62
Work in progress...
Öhlins springs kit & TE610 forks to start.
We’ll see in a while...
Really hope to find the proper shims setting at the first shot; pity it’s a too precious information to be shared by the [workshop] owner.

I had Bitubo kit before, now sold to a friend since the warranty period is far away to expiring.
Why this change? Well: on the tarmac is really more than enough, but off road… seems simply not designed to.
So, I thought about the mid-term reliability with this use, too, and the evolution is an evidence.

cheers to everybody helped me in this, down here.

PS - so far we 2 desperates in Italy playing like Frankenstein with Shivers on 8'GS

Gaspare screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 07:00 AM
Gaspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #130
Bootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Thumb

well done Gaspare,...well done!
I'm sure it will be great.
yo
g
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #131
B-B

Oddometer: 127
noob moto suspension question; when I see these caps some are marked R on both, and some have C and the other R. Whats the difference, does that mean the ones with C and R one shock handles compression and the other rebound, and one the ones with R on both that there's another Compression setting elsewhere? If I wanted to have both shocks adjustable for both C and R as well as preload, what options are out there?

B-B screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 07:13 AM
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #132
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

What brand forks ate those? Typically forks have one adjustment at the top & one at the bottom. On my shiver'd conversion forks it's rebound on top & compression on the bottom. Both forks have both adjustments.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #133
B-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
What brand forks ate those? Typically forks have one adjustment at the top & one at the bottom. On my shiver'd conversion forks it's rebound on top & compression on the bottom. Both forks have both adjustments.
says they are 98' Husqvarna TE610 forks

The reason I ask is I believe the Ohlins USA cartridges are setup this way, with one shock rebound and the other compression. I'd prefer both adjustments in both shocks; so it looks like I'm either going to attempt this shiver conversion or the Cogent Dynamics setup.

B-B screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 07:28 AM
Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #134
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Don't think those will work for this conversion. They look to be standard telescopic forks not the upside down Marzocchi Shiver 45mm.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...e610e%2099.htm

If they are on the list posted above I'm guessing they use the same size fork seal but are a different fork type. Not sure what year Husky went to the marzocchi shiver. Check around the interwebz for the specs and info.

Gangplank screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 11:42 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #135
B-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Don't those will work for this conversion. They look to be standard telescopic forks not the upside down Marzocchi Shiver 45mm.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...e610e%2099.htm

If they are on the list posted above I'm guessing they use the same size fork seal but are a different fork type. Not sure what year Husky went to the marzocchi shiver. Check around the interwebz for the specs and info.
Ya know, the eye works in weird ways. I shoulda seen that right away; instead I see the stupid "C" on the cap