User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #31
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
"Put the wrench down, and back away from the bike, with your hands in the air!"

KTim, we are both looking at the same area. Makes me think! I have always thought the handling and weight bias of the ADV, could be improved by installing a composite conformal tank in between the rear subframe rails, say 22L tank up front and 8liters in the subframe tank. Didn't KTM used to make a 20l (approx) "mini" rallye type tank? I have a second 28L tank that I bought to use on an EXC, but I really want a 18-22l tank, something ligher with less of a footprint, as I can make up the difference by adding a Baja designs rear tank, and/or a conformal tank.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #32
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
I think it was 18 or 20 litres. What are the rules for the class they were running? That may hold the answer. I can't explain the big fuel line, except to gain a bit of "unmeasured" capacity. I have never heard of vapor lock on these bikes, so insulation is out. Wondering...
Old 11-26-2004, 05:36 AM   #33
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
No wonder they didn't win... thats the only headlight they used ? What happened to the 2 huge CIBI lights the Honda guys usually run ?
I read they had a chase helecopter the whole way?? (with lights i'm assuming)
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:07 AM   #34
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Yeah, that's no Super Oscar, for sure. One of my brother's buddies had a nighttime stint on their XR650, and he says it is safer than daytime (as long as the lights work!) The HIDs really show the relief of the land better, and when the Class 8's are overtaking, you can anticipate their arrival more safely by their massive arrays of stadium lights Apparently, SOP is just to pull off when they are near. I suppose the elite bikers don't worry about this. Is there an account of the race from the Katoomers perspective?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:19 AM   #35
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
it sure looks like an extra tank. notice the fuel pump behind the rear master cylinder?.
And the airbox/tailpiece sure looks like a modded DukeII unit
that would leave space under it for at least a gallon+ of fuel.

dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:50 AM   #36
Mack

I've been wondering where the battery is, might be a sealed unit on it's side in the rear fender area. I am considering a Duke/SMC airbox and downsized/relocated battery, but the battery location and durability of the battery box having me chasing my tail at present. (Not sure the Kehin needs the larger airbox as badly as the BST, but with engine mods I expect it will. This Baja bike seems to back that theory up, for best performance these highly tuned factory LC4's all seem to run dual exhausts, and large airboxes.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #37
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Hmmm, I've got a Super Oscar in the garage left over from my endurance racing days. Anybody need one ? Maybe I should sell it to them for their next attempt ?
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #38
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
it sure looks like an extra tank. notice the fuel pump behind the rear master cylinder?.
And the airbox/tailpiece sure looks like a modded DukeII unit
that would leave space under it for at least a gallon+ of fuel.

Is that a vinyl external cover over the bottom of the "airbox"? Why?

I don't see a fuel pump behind the master cylinder, but I might be blind.

Mack, could you make the RH side cover bulge like the one on the exhaust side, and make a battery box there strong enough to make up for the vulnerable position? There might be other locations, but that one comes to mind. Then what? a '96 Duke airbox, and low dual exhausts?
Old 11-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #39
Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Is that a vinyl external cover over the bottom of the "airbox"? Why?

I don't see a fuel pump behind the master cylinder, but I might be blind.

Mack, could you make the RH side cover bulge like the one on the exhaust side, and make a battery box there strong enough to make up for the vulnerable position? There might be other locations, but that one comes to mind. Then what? a '96 Duke airbox, and low dual exhausts?
It looks like they nested the airbox into the fuel tank, no idea why. (Heck I'm not even sure it is a fuel tank.) The pump is behind the bend in the fuel hose.

Rapiti, same idea here on the battery. Cutting out the mount for the toolbox, should allow for an adequate battery to be mounted there.

My plan is purely hypothetical, depending on my job situation and selling a bike. If I persue a 60+hp engine, with good reliability, strong low end torque, and hopefully good throttle response (control). This will be my plan:

TwinAir supermoto air filter
SMC/Duke airbox
Kehin FCR-39
Sommer Red Head porting, 32mm valves (4hp)
Rallye cam
Brisk plug
Akrapovic ti system

Any airbox from a factory 17" rear wheel equiped KTM motard should work, as the battery is mounted above the rear tire on these bikes. *Excepting the LC4E SM

I think the single Akra system will be plenty adequate for a 625cc LC4 without the "uber" airbox of the 660 Rallye.

Another impediment to this project becoming a reality, is a surprising lust on my part, for the new Duke 990. Hopefully it will pass.....
Old 11-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #40
rapiti
IOR Veteran

The Duke 990 is something else. However, I find myself drawn more to the 950SM, probably for reasons of perceived versatility. It seems like it would be way more fun than the 950Adv, on or offroad. Hell, for a couple of grand, you could probably have an Adventure kit and convert it for long trips. The Duke seems like it is into Tuono territory. How do they compare?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #41
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Well thank you very much Mr Mack would you please and stop posting lists like this

Mack wrote:
TwinAir supermoto air filter
SMC/Duke airbox
Kehin FCR-39
Sommer Red Head porting, 32mm valves (4hp)
Rallye cam
Brisk plug
Akrapovic ti system

You've started some now! I had just decided that I would not spend any more on mods to the 640 and then in a year or two go to a 950 and then you come up with a list like that - highly irresponsable (and just before Christmas too!)
Old 11-27-2004, 04:57 AM   #42
Mack

Mmmmmm, 25% more hp.......... You know you want it!

Ktim, at least in your case, the exchange rate has not increased the cost of the Sommer "Red Head" by almost $100usd. (At these exchange rates, I am curious to see if the US bound 2005 LC4's become vaporware. Mate, it is time to visit the USofA.)

I think the porting job, possibly the larger valves, and Brisk plug would really pay off nicely, considering how one typically uses a bike like the ADV in Europe, and the fact that that you already have the Kehin FCR and full Akra system.

My biggest objection to my list of mods after the cost per hp factor, is the Akra ti system. It is the cornerstone for all the other mods, without it, the rest is a waste of time. The repairability issue of ti in Mexico, cost @ $1k usd, (likely higher as I want the Euro "Kehin" header) and the issues of spark arresting and db levels. Do you remember your header section part number, and how much clearance did you have between the accel pump and Akra?

How many miles on your ADV?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #43
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Old 11-27-2004, 07:08 AM   #44
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Ktim, at least in your case, the exchange rate has not increased the cost of the Sommer "Red Head" by almost $100usd.
Sometimes you guys sound like you know everything and sometimes I'm not so sure..what is up with the Sommer fetish (I just want to know)

shops like EDCO have the best reputation,for example My Friend dale Lineweaver... yeah the guy (mecanic,engenier, builder and tuner ) that keep winning all the flat track races on a Husaberg from 98'(i believe) agains the whole KTM brigate takes his heads to be machine there..

one thing is sure I think Dale knows a thing or two

Oh,,also remenber "Racing" top end power is very porpuse build very focus and not exactlly the most flexible and friendlly.
this guys at the track don't really care since the are top out from the starting line,personally I think for trail riding a more flexible powerband is far more useful, but then again I'm not even close to a paris dakar racer, when maybe some of guys are just waiting for scot Harden to call you and go to Race.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 11-27-2004 at 07:16 AM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:28 AM   #45
Mack

Hey Ricky! No Sommer fetish here, I only order from them what I cannot get elsewhere. I am of the opinion, that there are many tuners out there, that are as good or better then Sommer, I just don't know of any that know KTM's as well. I am a bit concerned that if I had someone else port my LC4 head, I might end up with good peak hp numbers, but with a loss of low end and midrange. I can't back it up, but I think Sommer does a lot of work for dreamers, like me, and thus milder street based tuning, unless one pushes for the big hp. I just want 58-62hp, with good throttle control down low and a strong-midrange. (No bored and stroked hand grenade for me.) If I actually decide to port the head, I will seak out some US based tuners, and give your friend a call, before making a decision. One of are ADVrider brethern stationed in Germany had the Sommer port job done on his pre-high flow ADV, and he was very happy, seemed to feel it made more power everywhere.