Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #46
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Hey Ricky! No Sommer fetish here, I only order from them what I cannot get elsewhere. I am of the opinion, that there are many tuners out there, that are as good or better then Sommer, I just don't know of any that know KTM's as well. I am a bit concerned that if I had someone else port my LC4 head, I might end up with good peak hp numbers, but with a loss of low end and midrange. I can't back it up, but I think Sommer does a lot of work for dreamers, like me, and thus milder street based tuning, unless one pushes for the big hp. I just want 58-62hp, with good throttle control down low and a strong-midrange. (No bored and stroked hand grenade for me.) If I actually decide to port the head, I will seak out some US based tuners, and give your friend a call, before making a decision. One of are ADVrider brethern stationed in Germany had the Sommer port job done on his pre-high flow ADV, and he was very happy, seemed to feel it made more power everywhere.

cool I'm glad we are on the same page,,
do you self a favor call dale at (510)223 9052..(no personal business exept for the fact that this guy is by far the best *mecanic*aka engenier that work on bikes) and see what his sugestion are,,,
when he rebuild my Husky 610,,he sat me on a chair and ask me more questions about my riding style and my personal desires than my sicologist will..even better the bike came out of the shop exactlly the way he describe it,F^^ink perfect...
I'm not saying he is the only choice but for sure one of the best,,read this little tread about Dale if more "Mecanics" were like him, the competicion will be far stiffer..

I also agree,,the SOMMER guys are great fellows with a million hours R&D research on KTM's so is pretty much a sure bet..just a expensive one(well dale is not exactlly cheap)

what ever you do, make sure to take some pictures,,I love to see all this trick shit taking place..
Old 11-27-2004, 02:52 PM   #47
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Quote:
Didn't KTM used to make a 20l (approx) "mini" rallye type tank? I have a second 28L tank that I bought to use on an EXC, but I really want a 18-22l tank, something ligher with less of a footprint, as I can make up the difference by adding a Baja designs rear tank, and/or a conformal tank.
The set-up you're referring to sounds rather like the older KTM rally bikes, pic here (www.ktm-lc4.net)

You can buy a 18L tank for the LC4-E. Here's what looks like one on a MXC (http://www.griessermotosport.de)

Cheers.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #48
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad

Is there a kit to do the oil filter modification relocation on a standard LC4?
You might re-start the 3rd oil filter thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50077
Old 11-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #49
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640

You can buy a 18L tank for the LC4-E. Here's what looks like one on a MXC (http://www.griessermotosport.de)

Cheers.
wow that Bike look really nice,,were can you find the headlight fairing?

ian sound like you know your stuff,,that for the links.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:23 PM   #50
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
were can you find the headlight fairing?
I guess the dealer http://www.griessermotosport.de would be a good place to start.

The good thing about being enthusiastic about your KTM is that you get to learn German as a side effect
Old 11-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #51
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
It looks like they nested the airbox into the fuel tank, no idea why. (Heck I'm not even sure it is a fuel tank.) The pump is behind the bend in the fuel hose.
This has got me thinking - have an 18 litre tank on my LC4-E but sometimes it's just not quite enough. I'd like a bit more fuel capacity but don't want to buy the bigger tank or fit side tanks. Is it possible to fit an underseat tank without too much modification?

Still can't see the pump...
Old 11-27-2004, 04:54 PM   #52
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
I found an 18 litre tank today. Wondering if I can leave my mask/fairing intact, and maybe velcro it to this tank. Way down on the priority list, but the price was right. Most times the 28L is a liability.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #53
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
I found an 18 litre tank today. Wondering if I can leave my mask/fairing intact, and maybe velcro it to this tank. Way down on the priority list, but the price was right. Most times the 28L is a liability.
I assume you have a LC4-engined Adventure. If so remember that the seat probably isn't compatible with the 'newer' style 18 litre tank - at least my seat has a V-shaped 'notch' in it where it mates with the tank.

However - a better choice for seat compatibility might be the older style 18 or 20 litre tank like the one shown here (anyone know the true capacity? - I seem to remember another contributor to this forum having one on an 620 RXC).

I say might because I don't know for sure - never needed to try it, but I went through all this with a dealer when I considered 'downsizing' the Adventure I used to own. But I was going to fit a single headlight without the fairing.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:57 PM   #54
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
I assume you have a LC4-engined Adventure. If so remember that the seat probably isn't compatible with the 'newer' style 18 litre tank - at least my seat has a V-shaped 'notch' in it where it mates with the tank.

However - a better choice for seat compatibility might be the older style 18 or 20 litre tank like the one shown here (anyone know the true capacity? - I seem to remember another contributor to this forum having one on an 620 RXC).

I say might because I don't know for sure - never needed to try it, but I went through all this with a dealer when I considered 'downsizing' the Adventure I used to own. But I was going to fit a single headlight without the fairing.
This is the older style tank. It is almost as wide as the 28L tank, so isn't a gainer there. It appears to match up with the mask, but lacks the threaded inserts. It seems like a major to undo the lights, support frame, etc... and you still have a big pig. A partially filled 28L gets the weight lower, right?

Probably best to keep the original configuration on the land yacht, and buy a dirt bike. I do so enjoy the look on people's faces when this tanker with a fairing and turn signals passes them! I need to up the spring rates for offroading. WP 50 Extreme. Anybody got a set of .48s or .50s laying around. Any Husabergers out there?
Old 11-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #55
DevDel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapiti
Most times the 28L is a liability.
IMHO,the tank itself is not a liability. If you run it part full, it actually carries the weight lower than most other options.

Its all the steel, wiring, gages, and headlights w/ subframe that make an ADV640 a liability. That's 20+ pounds, as high as you could possibly get it on the bike.

Dev

I type to slow, rapiti has seen the light! It's almost impossible to make the ADV into a supercross bike!

DevDel screwed with this post 11-27-2004 at 06:07 PM
DevDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 06:21 PM   #56
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head Fred
IMHO,the tank itself is not a liability. If you run it part full, it actually carries the weight lower than most other options.

Its all the steel, wiring, gages, and headlights w/ subframe that make an ADV640 a liability. That's 20+ pounds, as high as you could possibly get it on the bike.

Dev

I type to slow, rapiti has seen the light! It's almost impossible to make the ADV into a supercross bike!
Well, there was this 620 SX aluminum subframe for $50 and if I take off the blinkers and buy a carbon fibre slip on, that should make me as fast as a CRF450, right?

Cheers Dev
Old 11-28-2004, 03:45 AM   #57
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Do you remember your header section part number, and how much clearance did you have between the accel pump and Akra?

How many miles on your ADV?
Mack, don't know the part number, just ordered the system from my dealer. AFAIK there was only one Akra set up available at the time - I didn't know that they did a different header for the Keihin. There is very little clearance between the Akra and the carb - 5mm at the most.

10,000 miles on it at the moment.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:59 AM   #58
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTiM
Mack, don't know the part number, just ordered the system from my dealer. AFAIK there was only one Akra set up available at the time - I didn't know that they did a different header for the Keihin. There is very little clearance between the Akra and the carb - 5mm at the most.
I may be confused, pretty sure there are two different collectors. I had thought the difference was for Mikuni Vs. Keihin equiped bikes, but the two versions might be for the e-start Vs. kick only. Pageing KTMax to a white courtesy phone??
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #59
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
you know what call me Crazy but i rather work on it that Ride it, Is not like I'm a exelent mecanic or fabricator but I have far more skills on that field that i have as a rider..with me a bike like that will be a waste,, like Giving Truffles to a Pig or something like that.

Maybe I'm on the right place, just not at the right time...

For now lets RIDE
I think this post needs to be in the index for all those FF muttering ceaselessly about "the best"...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #60
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,608
sweet

sweet bike!!!

firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote