User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
KTM LC4 Enduro Model History

Can any one lay out the history of the LC4 E. Major changes between years, years to avoid, years with special issues? If I can't find a really nice, inexpensive KLX 650c I’ll just have to save-up (foreign concept) and spring for a used KTM LC4 E.
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Where ya located?
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

in a galaxy far far away

durango, co,
another question, the ktm page says no lc4 enduros in usa. there are old ones here no? are we all acually talking about 625 sxc's?
obviously new to KTM and clearly confused
scott
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

drifting...

Help it is getting worse. I see on the KTM site the 625 sxc has turn signals and the write up mentions the trips to the ice cream store, but then I saw a dual sport kit to make it legal, what gives. I’m sinking here, I feel like a dumb American programmed to only understand jap bikes. Help! If I want a KTM dual sport that is mostly off road and isn’t the adventure which one do it want? There is a dealer in town but they just recently picked up the KTM line so their stock and knowledge is no up to speed.
scott
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
OzRider
Gold Coast. Australia.

Oddometer: 8
Thumbs down Ktm Lc4e

Same here in OZ at the moment.

In OZ we wont be getting the LC4e anymore. It has been replaced by the 625 SXC.

Here is me thinking that all you guys stateside got the best model line up from KTM. Looks like we are all in the same boat. The 625 SXC we get is fully road registerable. The only downside for me is that I wanted the 625 SMC which the dealers won't be importing into OZ, so I have to outlay about another $3000 for the motard wheel set up.

Simonl.
OzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:44 PM   #6
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
The extinct LC4 640 Enduro

You shouldn't have any problem finding a used LC4 620/640 Enduro on E-bay.They seem to turn up there with regularity from about 3 to 6K depending on condition.
The SXC does NOT come with the turn signals etc...in the USA so disreguard the typically misleading "official" pics and information. The SXC also does not have the hollow frame oil resevoir and front spin on oil filter. Despite its lower cost, these were the main reasons I passed on the SXC---Its Non-road legal stock status and smaller oil capacity (you can fix the former but, not the latter). I prefer as much oil capacity/longevity as I can get which is found on the LC4 Enduro and Adventure models. I was always an Enduro owner (1995 620 and 2001 640) but, then they stopped importing the Enduro into the states for 2003 but they were still available in Canada.
So, I ended up getting a 2003 Adventure and was not dissapointed because it is a better bike if you plan to go Loooooong range with cases and cockpit instraments and it can still can hang in the trails as long as you only fill the tank half way. If money is not an issue I would strongly recommend finding a 2003 model since they have the upgraded Main shaft bearing that occaisonally causes problems on SOME older models (although this can be upgraded if you need to save dough by purchasing an older model) and other nice upgrades like the oil site glass. I saw a cherry 2003 LC4 Enduro go on E-bay recently in West Virgiania for 5,900!!! I bought my 2001Enduro with Aluminium TT luggage and 240 miles on the odo for 5,000
Not sure how a 2003 Enduro got to West Virginia but, I know they were widely available in Canada. I hear we are only going to get about 100 Adventures for 2005 but, the price has gone up from the 7,100 I paid to
8,500. Have not heard anything about the Enduro models. I was hesitant to get the Adventure because it LOOKED so much heavier and less dirt worthy but, for the 200 dollar price difference when I bought mine, I'm glad I got the Adv because the fuel tank rules for long trips, the cockpit rules for GPS etc... and the Digital speedo trip computer is nice too. And the tail rack and hand guards also come stock. The thing I don't like about the 2004-2005 Adv is that stupid stick/rock/mud magnet LOW front fender and unhideable color. Orange is great on logos etc...but I'd rather my bike did not SHOUT and advertise: "I'm over here, come steal me!" when I have parked it in the bush somewhere and gone off for a swim. I guess you are an enduro man like I was but, don't be affraid to check out the Adventure. Like I said, I was not dissappoined when I converted, the only downside is the higher cost of the fuel cell and fairing if you crash big-time. Anyways, there are Enduros with low miles turning up on E-bay every week if ya gotta have one. So don't worry, just be patient and keep checking E-bay and this site and who knows, maybe KTM will quit being so cruel to the Enduro crowd and start importing some for 2005?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:49 PM   #7
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Edit: Mostly repetition, as Swampy covered it, looks like we posted at the same time.

Right around MY 2000 is a good place to start, the older stuff (620/RXC, etc) is good as well (espeically if you turn your own wrenches) but KTM has done a lot of updates to the LC4 platform in it's history, and these later bikes are pretty well sorted, as well as being plentifull in the used market.

Basically you have the 640 LC4E, this so called enduro, has the small front headlight, mid size tank, dry sump oil tank in the frame with a spin on filter, and weighs 20lbs less then the 640 ADV R. The 625 SXC is, IIRC about 20+ pounds lighter then the LC4E, (KTM says it weighs approx 290 but this is BS, I think they got tired of the Japanese blowing smoke when it comes to weight, the weights KTM lists for the other bikes seem to be pretty accurate.)

The latest LC4 sold in 03 and 04 was the 625 SXC, like I mentioned it is a bit lighter, and more dirtworty, the 04 was a really good bargain as it came with a Kehin FCR-41 MX pumper carb, which is a bit more responsive, rather then the Mikuni BST-40 Constant Velocity carb, the latter is a bit easier to tune and adapts well to alltitude changes. Your confusion about turn signals is understandable, all of these bikes, even the EXC racing four strokes can be had in street legal trim in most or parts of Europe. The website for KTM USA is often ported straight off the Euro site, then after the "Euro non-USA" info is posted it is sometimes corrected. (Of late KTM seems a bit better about puttin "USA only" or "Not USA." At least for some of the SXC/SMC models in 2003, they came equiped from the factory with all the Dual Sport equipment, but somewhere in the supply chain, wires were clipped, signals removed, etc. Some states are a definiite no as far as getting a street title for these bikes, others states make it pretty easy to do so, most states appear to be in a gray area.

Several ADVriders have mid to late 90's LC4's, IIRC, 620 RXC's, and they seem very happy with them, personally I cannot tell you much about those.

If you can find an SXC, and if you can get a good price on it, it is a pretty damn nice 80/20 (dirt/road) bike. I expect you would have better luck finding, and getting a good deal on an LC4E, in a good state of tune, with freshened up and properly set and adjusted forks and shock, the LC4E should work just about as well as the SXC, be a tad heavier, and a bit more foregiving when it comes to oil change intervals. (I never understood why KTM put the spin on filter on the SMC, and not on the SXC? But maybe I remember this wrong.)

Hope this disorgainised ramble helps, it's late!

Mack screwed with this post 11-23-2004 at 05:07 AM
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:01 AM   #8
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
http://www.bikez.com/brand/ktm.php
Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 AM   #9
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,745
Ask Jimmy Lewis if he still has his 620 up for grabs, he had it in the flea market some time back.
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
If you start looking at earlier LC4's, keep in mind the 96 and earlier years have no electric start.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #11
dagwood
Banned

I'd sell you mine (01' lc4E) nicely set up with spare tank (18 liter/12liter), plastic and assorted misc bits.
But I want to much and you'd have to come get it.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 PM   #12
fire_strom OP
Beastly Adventurer

my brain is filling up

you guys are great. things are much clearer. Dag-BC is a good place to visit and one always wants to bring somthing home when one goes somewhere. I'm heading to the fleamarket. I'll be back
scott
Old 11-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
Really, buy dag's bike.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 11-23-2004 at 06:44 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
you guys are great. things are much clearer. Dag-BC is a good place to visit and one always wants to bring somthing home when one goes somewhere. I'm heading to the fleamarket. I'll be back
scott
it's not in flea market anymore...it got bumped off after a month. You can see picks in the show us you're thumper thread.

I really should edit my sig line
Old 11-23-2004, 06:10 PM   #15
dagwood
Banned

or here;

here