Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
KrustyKustom OP
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 618
Expensive Coolers..experience?

I have always balked at the recent on the scene expensive coolers (Yeti, Pelican, Engle, etc). I have used the rationale that ice is cheap...why buy a $300.00 cooler? Then I thought if one could really get 7 to 10 days from a cooler of ice think of the functionality? On a several day camping trip to nowhere it would be nice to have a solid 3-4 days without needing ice or power for a fridge in the back of the Sprinter van.

Anyone have one of these high dollar coolers with any experience? Brother in law has a Yeti but never has tested it for multiple days. He just bought it for its additional robust construction.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
We have a huge inventory of cheap ($30-$80) coolers at work. They go on events and often have 50 people going through them looking for drinks. They die. 3 years is amazing, usually less. I am trying to get a couple of better coolers and see if they hold up better to uncaring user abuse.

Even my personal Coleman/Igloo extreme cooler isn't holding up that great and I am the only user. I ended up putting metal door hinges on it and am getting close to getting some Jeep hood latches.

My brother got a Yeti. He loves it. His wife didn't think it would work that well so she froze a half gallon of milk for a week long trip. It was 3 or 4 days before they could use the milk.

I have gone a whole level beyond that. I have an ARB Freezer Fridge. After owning it, yes I would buy it again. I use it for weekly grocery shopping (live in AZ and 15 minutes from a grocery store and an hour from Costco). I can buy stuff in the summer and get it home before it gets warm. And camping, cold dry food storage is great. Added a solar panel to the truck and that will keep up with it in fridge mode.

So yes there are good reasons for them. But not everyone needs them. Sometimes abuse, neglect, cheap and throw away when breaks or turns into a science experiment is a better choice. No cooler will survive neglect of storing while wet inside.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Not really hip on the expensive coolers in terms of cooling capability- but they are pretty tough. I like them because I can stand on them without them collapsing!

The best cooler I ever had for longevity of cooling was a modified Igloo cooler. I took one of their Max Cool coolers and lined the outside with self-adhesive automotive insulation (the kind with the aluminized face). I turned the insulation back to make a lip that covered the seam around the top of the cooler. If I pre-cooled it, ice would stay frozen for days- even in full sun.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,992
I balk at the prices, and doubt I'd ever buy one, but they do seem to keep ice longer. Me and a friend took a road trip several months ago, granted it was winter, but we kept one bag of ice in a Yeti for 4+ days. It stayed in the car the entire trip with groceries in it. Still had plenty of ice on the 4th day.

My cheap Igloo coolers won't keep a bag of ice overnight!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,001
May want to send a PM to this inmate. No experience myself though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Price is a bit much for me but people swear by them. My last hunting trip I bought a little block of dry ice and threw it in my big igloo with the regular ice and it worked great, we still had ice 4-5 days into the trip.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
May want to send a PM to this inmate. No experience myself though.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252781
I'm no cooler connoisseur, but these are the best soft-sided coolers I've come across.
Bonus if you can wait 'til the holiday season -- they fall out of the "expensive" category!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I have two Yeti's the 20 qt and 65 qt, rugged yes...amazing no.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,769
I have a 5 day Igloo. I've seen it keep ice for 7 only opened once a day to check the ice after day 3. I left it in there just to see how long it would stay after a weekend trip.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
Pelican Cooler

I bought a pelican about 4 months ago--and have used it a bit.
Of course it keeps ice way longer than an ordinary cooler---and has worked well for me. I'm thinkin' to get the full 7-10 days of ice you would need to pre-cool it and not open it much.
But I'm happy I bought it---I've got the smallest 35 quart one.
And yes----it was hard to spend that much money on a cooler---but saves me from running to the store for ice.
I found a couple wire baskets at Lowes that fit in there perfect to keep food out of the ice.

It's this one

I bought it to put in my sprinter van----I want to keep this traveling and camping van extremely simple--no AC---no refrigerator---no microwave--simple--simple simple. For just me and my bike---(it fits in the van)---this set up works well for me---it small and I can park anywhere and camp without anybody taken a second look at my van. I love this thing. 28mpg
I can be camped in this thing anywhere and nobody knows I'm even in there.
I can pee in a bottle---but do have to come out for number 2. I ain't puttin' in a toilet----simple--simple--simple.
I cook in it with a jet--boil--------again---simple.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 07:29 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,145
Thumb Canyon Coolers

Picked up a Canyon Cooler last month. Very nice high quality cooler and not as expensive as the Yeti. All the local Grand Canyon river outfitters endorse them and the company is locally owned here in Flagstaff. I too personally have not had a chance to test it for extended use, but I can attest to its quality fit and finish.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
KrustyKustom OP
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 618
Big Dog

I get your concept of simple. I have a hammock I hang in the sprinter and I love it. Back on the coolers again, the idea is interesting for extended ice storage. I suppose the ol dry ice block would work even better in one of the premium coolers. In looking at them I like the Pelican as well, I know the rest of their products are awesome.

In any cooler the hinges and latches seem to be the weak link. My old igloo brand marine coolers don't hold ice worth a flip but the hinges have held up well.

I never mind spending extra dough on something if it makes sense, like getting more miles or better service from something but the cooler discussion remains interesting. I use a cooler weekly and it got me to thinking.
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Picked up a Canyon Cooler last month. Very nice high quality cooler and not as expensive as the Yeti. All the local Grand Canyon river outfitters endorse them and the company is locally owned here in Flagstaff. I too personally have not had a chance to test it for extended use, but I can attest to its quality fit and finish.
I have seen the brochure on them, but none in person. These are the ones I am trying to get the office to try and see if the durability is better then the common ones.

As far as coolers in general, I will NEVER get a standard thin walled cooler. After having some of the 5-day extreme thick walled coolers, that is the only way to fly. Unless you are talking about a half day event, in which case you don't need a cooler, just a wash tub filled with ice for the beers. If you are doing anything more than 24 hours, the thick wall coolers are the only good choice.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,913
I figured this thread would come into existence here soon. I'm a cheapskate most of the time, but I took a plunge on a relatively expensive cooler recently- I got a frostbite cooler (cosmetic second) off of ebay, the price didn't hurt as much and the size was just what I was looking for (25 quarts, small by the standards of the high end coolers)

It works great for us, I don't regret the money at all- we took a two week road trip through southern utah and neighboring areas earlier this summer, and with lots of ins and outs and sitting in the back of a hot car, we added one block of ice every three days and it kept things nice and cool. The other benefit is it seems like it'll last damn near forever, not a couple years like the $40 coolers.

That pelican cooler looks really nice, that was the first one I saw and almost bought. Bit too big for the back of my WRX with all of our camping gear though.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have a yeti on my Boston Whaler and I can ice it up Thursday and fish all weekend and still have some pretty chilly drinks by late Sunday when washing the boat. I was a skeptic of the $ but they do work..
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: