User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
GSbiker OP
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,510
3 Point Log Splitter

I am in the market for a 3 point log splitter. Looks like there are many on the market. What do I need to know before purchasing? The tractor is a 27hp Kioti without rear hydraulics.

GSbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Rear hydraulics can be added.

You can also drive some splitters with a PTO

Personally I would prefer to run it from the existing hydraulics - if they are sufficient volume and pressure, but the PTO might actually be more efficient? I am not sure - I would have to see the numbers and look at what speed the pump needs to turn at. The nice thing about the PTO driven pump would be you could size it accordingly whereas the existing hydraulics are WYSIWIG.

Additionally I would go for:

1) Splitter than can switch from horizontal to vertical

2) A wedge that is 4 way - at least optionally.

3) A high/low volume/pressure valve - this allows you to move the ram fast until it gets to the wood, then you can switch to low volume and high pressure (some do this automatically) to move slower but with more power.

You should have plenty of power to drive a PTO splitter, not sure about your hydraulics though.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
GSbiker OP
new and un-improved

Thanks for the reply. From what I can find out on the internet, the hydraulics on most small tractors will work but the recycle time is very slow. PTO pump is preferred.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
pnhd65
renaissance man

Oddometer: 323
I don't know how much wood you have to split each year, but I'd rather use a splitter with it's own motor, than use up engine hours on my tractor.
pnhd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65 View Post
I don't know how much wood you have to split each year, but I'd rather use a splitter with it's own motor, than use up engine hours on my tractor.
I am the opposite. One less motor to maintain. If I can have a tractor that: mows the grass, cuts fire wood, moves gravel and dirt, plows the driveway, runs a brush hog, etc; and only have to maintain one motor, I'll be a happy camper.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,927
Just keep in mind that if you go that route (3 pt) that you have a very long implement hanging off the back of the tractor. Driving around with it can be tricky- like if you wanted to go through the woods to do some splitting.

My dealer talked me right out of it. Rent once a year.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #7
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Talking

The 3 point splitter I have has the beam across the width of the tractor, so no issues with length. It also can split vertically.

If you run a PTO pump, you are going to need an oil supply and a filter. Most PTO pumps are 10 GPM+ flow. A bit on the high end for a typical splitter.

The tractor hydraulics will have sufficient pressure but will be a bit slow. 4" cylinder will be about as big as you want. But, if you are splitting by yourself, I find the slightly slower cycle allows me time to stack, get the next log, etc. so it actually works out. Almost never wait for the splitter if I am doing other things while the splitter is cycling.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #8
PeterTrocewicz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Most splitters run best with at least 10gpm. The speed of the splitter will vary with the gpm output of the tractor and the size\stroke of the cylinder.

Most tractors put out about the same pressure, so the tonnage of the splitter will also vary with the size of the cylinder . You will need more tonnage if you are splitting gnarled fenceline hardwoods than if you are splitting straight softwood. 20 ton is good for most conditions.

Your tractor will have open center hydraulics, so do not buy a splitter made for tractors with closed-center. The difference is the valve: some valves are convertible and some are not.

Whether you decide to go with a pump kit or a set of rear remotes is up to you, but the advantage of a power-beyond kit is that the remotes will b there for other equipment, but your tractor may not put out enough for the splitter to work at its rated speed. If you do go for putting rear remotes on, their may be issues with matching the couple style. there are 2 main types, poppet and ball, and they do not play well together.

I am the tech/warranty advisor for a manufacturer of wood splitters as well other equipment
PeterTrocewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
GSbiker OP
new and un-improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
Most splitters run best with at least 10gpm. The speed of the splitter will vary with the gpm output of the tractor and the size\stroke of the cylinder.

Most tractors put out about the same pressure, so the tonnage of the splitter will also vary with the size of the cylinder . You will need more tonnage if you are splitting gnarled fenceline hardwoods than if you are splitting straight softwood. 20 ton is good for most conditions.

Your tractor will have open center hydraulics, so do not buy a splitter made for tractors with closed-center. The difference is the valve: some valves are convertible and some are not.

Whether you decide to go with a pump kit or a set of rear remotes is up to you, but the advantage of a power-beyond kit is that the remotes will b there for other equipment, but your tractor may not put out enough for the splitter to work at its rated speed. If you do go for putting rear remotes on, their may be issues with matching the couple style. there are 2 main types, poppet and ball, and they do not play well together.

I am the tech/warranty advisor for a manufacturer of wood splitters as well other equipment
So, what brand do you work for?

I have been looking at this splitter. http://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/30...-log-splitter/ It is a 30 ton horizontal-vertical with a PTO pump and tank.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
GSbiker OP
new and un-improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I am the opposite. One less motor to maintain. If I can have a tractor that: mows the grass, cuts fire wood, moves gravel and dirt, plows the driveway, runs a brush hog, etc; and only have to maintain one motor, I'll be a happy camper.
I gotta agree. The little diesel in the tractor should last a long time. After the log splitter will come a chipper/shredder and then a pressure washer.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
farmrider02
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I don't split wood yet but the Dr Rapid fire is what I would go with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66YcaJfqhI

If you have to go three point, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjl4VWQFQkw

farmrider02 screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 08:13 AM
farmrider02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 AM   #12
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,373
3 Point Log Splitter

After a lot of thought I bought a separate splitter last year And have never regretted it. I use the tractor with forks and a pallet to move the rounds and hold the partial splits while I'm working and it works great. Roll the rounds onto the pallet at ground level, move the pallet into place, roll em onto the splitter , make the first split, roll the off side split back onto the pallet , continue working with what's left. Far less lifting and a much better use of the tractor.
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker View Post
I gotta agree. The little diesel in the tractor should last a long time. After the log splitter will come a chipper/shredder and then a pressure washer.
Chipper/shredder can certainly use higher power and the mobility of a tractor to move it around - the one on my 8HP BCS just can't handle the large limbs left over after the thinning operations I had done, and couldn't handle the volume either. Not sure even a PTO chipper could either, but it would do a lot better than the one I have now.

As it is, I am going to burn most of what was left - I would have liked to have chip it all up, but that would take months without a very large unit that is the size of a large truck (the piles are the size of a small house).
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,494
Are you going to use it in the rain?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
GSbiker OP
new and un-improved