No one said tiny houses have to be on land

That's nice!

Sausalito?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #228
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
One big advantage to tiny houses is that you can make them portable.

This one used to be an oil tank. Some wheels and a window and it's all good.

Of course if you don\t put wheels on it, you can still put it on a trailer if want to go some where else.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #229
RPKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
What about a house on a post

Have a look here www.logangate.com
RPKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #230
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,102
Some interesting stuff.

Living near Sausalito, houseboats are quite interesting, but I don't value living on water that much.

Some of those little trailer and such might make sense for some but to me they go far too minimalist for full time living. For ME there is a limit as to how much downsizing I can stand to do - I may make do with a shower instead of a tub, but I still want a decent sized shower and bath rather than bathing in a phone booth.

100 items total? Well, maybe if you don't have any outdoors to care for so you don't need a shovel, hose, etc.

Wife and I looked at an article/advertisment in the SF paper for a house in Fairfield, CA - The house alone is 22,000 square feet, the 80 acre property [70 of vineyards] includes THREE car barns [not in the total SF] and a 4 bed, 2 bath, 1,800 SF Caretakers residence! Indoor pool, and "Nana's Diner"...6 bedrooms, 10 bath. $22 Million, to live in Fairfield of all places.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #231
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,171
http://barges.apolloduck.com/private...x=USD&limit=10

Dutch sailing barges - very nice aquatic small homes
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #232
Icewalker
Conundrum

Very cool human interest story about living small. This guy got given lemons and ended up making lemonade.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/83410487.html
Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #233
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
the same almost story happened to someone at a job i had about 10 years ago. office manager's husband lost his business which took their house and they moved onto their 43 ' trawler style yatch. with the dog an parrot. then his hepatitus kicked in and he got a liver transplant after going through hell and back. she was running the show, and would run out of heating fuel in the middle of the night and shit like that.

edit: not to be dramatic (after reading responses), but this was through the winter in new england. name of the boat was "high life"

NOT!

romantic sounding yes, but after 25 practicality and reason need to sit at the table, too!

Mr. J screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 04:35 PM
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #234
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
The tiny house movement doesn't make a lot of sense when you think that a tiny house costs almost as much to build as a normal small house since a lot of the costs are in the initial building fees, and a tiny house has everything a small house has except space, which is the cheapest part of a house to build, since it mostly consists of a few incremental square feet of flooring and roofing.

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

Isn't at root the tiny house movement an urge to simplify? To make take our lives towards Thoreau's essence? I think most here (this thread) recognize that we too often become weighted down with our possessions. We have houses full of stuff, but what makes us happy is sharing a cup of coffee with a friend, riding a bit of twisties, hiking a trail...

So, since we know we have a tendency towards rank consumerism we attempt to lessen it by buying a smaller purse. Not as much room to fill with our crap.

But, there is the rub. It is still a consumerist desire. Like a Prius is a way to purchase our way into "green-dom" a small house, assuming you already own a house, is a new waste of resources. Real efficiency comes from using that which is already there.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #235
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker
Very cool human interest story about living small. This guy got given lemons and ended up making lemonade.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/83410487.html

I like the part about wanting to sail to New Orleans. I hope that he makes it. New Orleans is on my short list of places to live before I kick the bucket.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #236
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J
the same almost story happened to someone at a job i had about 10 years ago. office manager's husband lost his business which took their house and they moved onto their 43 ' trawler style yatch. with the dog an parrot. then his hepatitus kicked in and he got a liver transplant after going through hell and back. she was running the show, and would run out of heating fuel in the middle of the night and shit like that.

romantic sounding yes, but after 25 practicality and reason need to sit at the table, too!

Well ... I had an oil heater at a house once, and can relate to running out of fuel. And that's not just from living on a boat.

When I had my sailboat there were lots of liveaboards at the marina that I was at. Some seemed to live an idyllic life, and some seemed to have it pretty tough, like the couple whose boat sank in the channel and were living in the salvaged hulk.

But I'll tell ya ... we had some awesome parties there!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #237
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I like the part about wanting to sail to New Orleans. I hope that he makes it. New Orleans is on my short list of places to live before I kick the bucket.
I spent 8 months there. I'd need a house big enough to have a normal sized town inside with me. It didn't do it for me. But with the shotgun shacks, they've got a near monopoly on small homes ~ some well over 100 years old.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #238
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I spent 8 months there. I'd need a house big enough to have a normal sized town inside with me. It didn't do it for me. But with the shotgun shacks, they've got a near monopoly on small homes ~ some well over 100 years old.

I'll post this link again.

Interesting Atlantic Monthly article on new small houses (shotgun shacks) in N'awlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticMonthly
And then, suddenly, amid heroically overgrown lawns, you see a cluster of modern, colorful, and modestly sized homes, looking like a farm where they grow houses for Dwell magazine. These are the fruits to date of Pitt’s other project, Make It Right New Orleans. New Orleanians refer to these homes collectively as “the Brad Pitt Houses,” which gives them the pleasing ring of an ambitious public-housing project from the post–World War II years. But Pitt’s ambitions are not merely utilitarian. He hopes to offer displaced residents affordable, cutting-edge, radically green homes designed by name-brand architects like Thom Mayne and Frank Gehry. And he seems to be succeeding.

...In the absence of strong central leadership, the rebuilding has atomized into a series of independent neighborhood projects. And this has turned New Orleans—moist, hot, with a fecund substrate that seems to allow almost anything to propagate—into something of a petri dish for ideas about housing and urban life. An assortment of foundations, church groups, academics, corporate titans, Hollywood celebrities, young people with big ideas, and architects on a mission have been working independently to rebuild the city’s neighborhoods, all wholly unconcerned about the missing master plan. It’s at once exhilarating and frightening to behold.
]

and an article on the article (sorry can't find linkable pics---yet)

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 03:54 PM
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #239
Icewalker
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J

edit: not to be dramatic (after reading responses), but this was through the winter in new england. name of the boat was "high life"

NOT!

I could tell you about our lives many years ago - waking up every morning in the winter time with ice on the inside of the window

And I still look back on those days of not having a pot to piss in with fondness .... I guess it is all what you were bought up with.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #240
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
...In the absence of strong central leadership, the rebuilding has atomized into a series of independent neighborhood projects. And this has turned New Orleans—moist, hot, with a fecund substrate that seems to allow almost anything to propagate—into something of a petri dish for ideas about housing and urban life. An assortment of foundations, church groups, academics, corporate titans, Hollywood celebrities, young people with big ideas, and architects on a mission have been working independently to rebuild the city’s neighborhoods, all wholly unconcerned about the missing master plan. It’s at once exhilarating and frightening to behold.

Interesting comments. I've always felt that the Mayor and the guv'mint of New Orleans got a raw deal following Katrina. Presumably now their critics - who all seem to be of the libertarian/loonytarian mentality - will see that by leaving hands off that New Orleans was allowed to become a breeding ground for experimental housing projects.

Or something like that. Some people will bitch about anything.

Anyway, we can all hope for the best and for the success of the projects in New Orleans.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: