Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #46
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
... agreed (I can't remember where I saw that before? ... but I thought it cool at the time) ...

That's one of Adam Kalkin's grandiose designs. Way over the top, but handy for pulling out when someone thinks of an ISO house as being something that you'd see in a 3rd world nation.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #47
osii OP
Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer: 2,417
I've gone from 4500 to 1200 ft. I thought I was downsized.

I might agree that these new tiny houses may be better built, but I have seen no real proof of that. And even well built homes need work eventually. When you are talking about 8x20, you have a ton of options.

I guess the price is what really floored me. If they could deliver this for $9995, then we may be talking about something really revolutionary. But when I see the prices they want, it's just a rich guys toy. It's not really something practical that is ever going to take off. No one will buy that little 160 ft place when in this housing market, they can easily get something around 800 or 900 ft. for the same price. And especially when they can buy a nicer equipped RV for way less.

Hey Pirate, show us what $40k gets you in a late model motorhome or coach?

And like our over caffeinated Pirate says, you can always put a protective shell around an RV and it will last forever.

And it's the same with those cargo containers. They want all the money for those boxes. If I'm going to spend $40k, I can get something much nicer that a cargo container house built.

I'm getting a 18x22 shed/garage built on a concrete slab for under $6k.
osii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #48
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleRider
... agreed (I can't remember where I saw that before? ... but I thought it cool at the time) ...

Not necessarily "doing with less" but there is a woman who was building a house in SoCal out of a recycled airliner ... not as you would expect in that she was using the wings as roof (the front end of the fuselage, upended, turret-like) ... again, kind of cool

Ya know ... I saw that one.

You'll like this one (potential thread hijack) - the Cosmic Muffin. Mentioned in a Buffett song, someone bought a circa 1939 plane that Howard Hughes used for corporate purposes, and converted it into a liveaboard boat:

http://www.planeboats.com/

http://www.crazedfanboy.com/npcr/laflapcr178.html

Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #49
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Back at the turn of the Century (boy, was that weird to type. ) when I was full-timing it, I discovered the wonder of "park models." I think that was before they were cool, but for $16K, it sure would be nice to plop on a little acre somewhere out of the way.

http://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/AT/photos.asp
I looked at something similar to that at a local RV dealership. Attractive, comfy, nicely laid out and acceptably finished. (And even stayed in one of the two "log cabin" look-alike types at the first West Fest held in Buena Vista, CO.) Prominently posted inside was a notice that while these were designed to be very comfortable "2nd homes" and "retreats" they were not designed to be occupied full time. The disclaimer went on to mention that they were't fully vented like a regular home and would have moisture problems from full time occupancy. I'd imagine that the difference in cost to make them "full time-able" would be less than minimal . . . . . but still. I doubt that many people read the disclaimer or understood what it truly meant.

If you could comfortably live some place where the inside and outside temperatures prevented you from creating condensation when the heat/ac was on they'd probably be fine, but a lot of folks who've tried living full time in less-than-top quality RVs have found themselves in mold infested moldering piles of junk.

It's doable, as Pirate John has shown, but you have to be careful and you need to understand how moisture, and the control thereof, works. My in-law's 5th wheel rotted out from under them. Big mold problems. YMMV.

Edit:
The one I've mentioned above looked about like this:

Hannda screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 02:14 PM
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #50
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Gruuvy
I live in a Manufactured Home located in a Gated Community.

It's a freakin' trailer park with snobby ass neighbors who think they are better than the next set of idiots.

Trailers are great. Very effective use of space.

At the RV park that we are in there is an interesting collection of travel trailers and mobile homes.

Moral of the story is that my next door neighbors are retired at 57 or so and have a brand new mobile home with a permanently attached screened in porch. I'd estimate that their mobile home is about 60 ft. long and maybe 12 ft. wide.

It's VERY nice actually. Neat and clean as can be.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #51
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I looked at something similar to that at a local RV dealership. Attractive, comfy, nicely laid out and acceptably finished. (And even stayed in one of the two "log cabin" look-alike types at the first West Fest held in Buena Vista, CO.) Prominently posted inside was a notice that while these were designed to be very comfortable "2nd homes" and "retreats" they were not designed to be occupied full time. The disclaimer went on to mention that they were't fully vented like a regular home and would have moisture problems from full time occupancy. I'd imagine that the difference in cost to make them "full time-able" would be less than minimal . . . . . but still. I doubt that many people read the disclaimer or understood what it truly meant.

If you could comfortably live some place where the inside and outside temperatures prevented you from creating condensation when the heat/ac was on they'd probably be fine, but a lot of folks who've tried living full time in less-than-top quality RVs have found themselves in mold infested moldering piles of junk.

It's doable, as Pirate John has shown, but you have to be careful and you need to understand how moisture, and the control thereof, works. My in-law's 5th wheel rotted out from under them. Big mold problems. YMMV.

Yup. Very well said.

I looked at a Fleetwood Discovery RV once (very popular model) and it had a similar sticker in a closet. That's one reason why we swear by the older Wanderlodges - they were indeed meant to be used 24/7, 365 days a year.

With that said, I'd love to move out for a few months, pull EVERYTHING out, and clean and remodel a few things.

I put the flooring into the rear (industrial cork suitable for a restaurant) with the idea that we'd probably get about 5 years of service life out of it before I had to tear it out and at least reinspect the hardwood subfloor.

Regularly running the A/C and keeping the overhead fans running goes a long way towards keeping things pleasant.

That's just the nature of the beast. Between outside moisture and the inevitable water leaks an RV requires pretty constant maintenance.

Just like a house.

But at least when you get tired of the scenery or the neighbors you can fire up the diesel and head out.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #52
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Cool2 747 "Wing House"

article
Old 07-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #53
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Yup. Very well said.

I looked at a Fleetwood Discovery RV once (very popular model) and it had a similar sticker in a closet. That's one reason why we swear by the older Wanderlodges - they were indeed meant to be used 24/7, 365 days a year.
I see quite a few people (from construction workers here for a job to people who just have it as their only residence) staying in low end camper trailers at the RV parks during the winter. It gets cold here in the winter. And all I can think of is those little furnaces, and I'd assume a space heater or two, going like mad to keep the interiors of those campers warm enough to live in . . . . and the condensation running down the inside surface of the windows, then down into the walls where it's trapped by the small amount of insulation that lives there, and dripping on down to the base plate of the "wall framing" and then . . . .

I think if you were to live in San Diego in one of these things you'd be set for life.

Hannda screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 02:49 PM
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #54
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,899
What's wrong with taking a regular small house with crazy luxuries like... I don't know, an indoor bathroom and washer and dryer hookups and renovating / reconfiguring it?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #55
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux
What's wrong with taking a regular small house with crazy luxuries like... I don't know, an indoor bathroom and washer and dryer hookups and renovating / reconfiguring it?
Nothing. And I get the idea that the OP was heading in that direction ~ that he could build a wonderfully comfortable small house for what these guys want to charge for an 8x8 rough cedar sided trailer.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #56
osii OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
I think if you had were to live in San Diego in one of these things you'd be set for life.

???????
Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #57
PaleRider
gelande/strasse

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
I live in a Manufactured Home located in a Gated Community ... It's a freakin' trailer park with snobby ass neighbors who think they are better than the next set of idiots.
... I read an article about high-end trailer parks that kind of fit that description
Quote:
Trailers are great. Very effective use of space.
... which, in the whole sustainable discussion, merits mention. Many look to taking said "small home" and surrounding it with said "small ranch" ... so net, net is that attitude moving us in the right direction. Here in Colorado, every Tom, Dick and Yeahoo who moves here wants to "live in the mountains." When that means they carve up their mini ranchette, and for this discussion, add a mini house, and commute to the Front Range, is that really progress? I know where I stand - "more trail, less road."*

Huggie-Bear

*Colin Fletcher
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #58
Daniii
Banned

Oddometer: 22,718
When I was a bachelor, in the U.S.A.F., I lived in an Airstream trailer, on the beach, near Ft Walton. I'd do it again if I could also have a 3 car garage.

Oh, and there is that wife thing
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #59
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by osii
???????
San Diego has a nearly constant average temperature, easy to heat/cool - without the temperature extremes that can cause the condensation that rots away many trailers, motor homes and "park models" that are used as full time residences.

And typo in quoted post corrected. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #60
osii OP

had were to

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: