Oddometer: 41,400
Bump
Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #604
Icewalker
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinterc View Post
Well my wife and I have finished and moved into our tiny home. It's 204 sq' and loving it. Yes we did have to get a storage unit that was 10'x7' and are working on getting that even smaller. I built a deck on the back that can carry the mtn. bikes and the DR650 if and when we travel in it and the couch folds up to store all the the gear. We just posted the ABC interview on our blog that is located at clotheslinetinyhome.com

We have had great comments on it and I'm working on the pricing options that I will give out soon. My wife and I have worked tirelessly for 11 weeks to build it and are very happy to be living in it. There is more then plenty of room for the both of us.

Anyway just wanted to share a bit of our story here and if you would like more then come on over to our blog at http://clotheslinetinyhomes.com/

Shane
Didn't see this on the blog but then my powers of observation aren't always great. Any idea how much it weighs?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #605
Icewalker
Conundrum

This is pretty impressive IMHO

http://www.thousandhuts.org/

"
A Thousand Huts is a Reforesting Scotland campaign centred around the idea of the hut as a place, an experience, an endeavour, an ideal for all to enjoy. In contrast to many other European countries, Scotland has a modest historic tradition of hutting whilst in Nordic nations hutting is well established as a way of life.
Building huts with local timber can revive skills that all rural communities once took for granted and strengthen community resilience.
In Scotland, hutting is predominantly associated with a working class movement that developed early in the 20th century when small holiday huts began to be built on land close to Scotlandʼs main industrial cities. The best known of these sites is at Carbeth in Stirlingshire. Hutters in Scotland can be characterised as belonging to a number of groups:
  • Traditional hutters in hutting “colonies”
  • Individual hutters often seeking a quiet retreat
  • Alternative homes (Lunga etc and those who live in huts or dwellings of uncertain legal status)
  • Allotmenteers (urban hutters)
A Huts and Hutters in Scotland research study carried out in 2000 by the Scottish Executive identified a number of structural weaknesses in the sustainability of traditional hutting including an ageing population and poor legal safeguards."
Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #606
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
After spending a long weekend in a 150ish SF cabin I can honestly say, Fuck Tiny Houses.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #607
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
LOL. The point of a tiny house is that it's only for sleeping, cooking, and securing your stuff while you're out there.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #608
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
LOL. The point of a tiny house is that it's only for sleeping, cooking, and securing your stuff while you're out there.
That's what we used it for, and it still sucked!
300 S.F. would have been really nice, is that still tiny?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #609
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
This is pretty impressive IMHO

http://www.thousandhuts.org/

"
A Thousand Huts is a Reforesting Scotland campaign centred around the idea of the hut as a place, an experience, an endeavour, an ideal for all to enjoy. In contrast to many other European countries, Scotland has a modest historic tradition of hutting whilst in Nordic nations hutting is well established as a way of life.
Building huts with local timber can revive skills that all rural communities once took for granted and strengthen community resilience.
In Scotland, hutting is predominantly associated with a working class movement that developed early in the 20th century when small holiday huts began to be built on land close to Scotlandʼs main industrial cities. The best known of these sites is at Carbeth in Stirlingshire. Hutters in Scotland can be characterised as belonging to a number of groups:
  • Traditional hutters in hutting “colonies”
  • Individual hutters often seeking a quiet retreat
  • Alternative homes (Lunga etc and those who live in huts or dwellings of uncertain legal status)
  • Allotmenteers (urban hutters)
A Huts and Hutters in Scotland research study carried out in 2000 by the Scottish Executive identified a number of structural weaknesses in the sustainability of traditional hutting including an ageing population and poor legal safeguards."
That's all well and good, but they might want to plant some tree's first. Scotland (and Ireland) are strangely denuded of tree's given the climate, imho.

Perhaps like Iceland it was clear cut and the top soil in many areas has long gone so reforestation can't be supported
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #610
Icewalker
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
That's all well and good, but they might want to plant some tree's first. Scotland (and Ireland) are strangely denuded of tree's given the climate, imho.

Perhaps like Iceland it was clear cut and the top soil in many areas has long gone so reforestation can't be supported
Actually pretty close

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/fores...restation.html
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #611
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,989
http://www.busyboo.com/tag/modern-prefab-homes/

Check that site out if you've not seen it before.
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #612
Icewalker
Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
http://www.busyboo.com/tag/modern-prefab-homes/

Check that site out if you've not seen it before.
Kind of different from the prefabs I remember as a kid

Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #613
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
That's what we used it for, and it still sucked!
300 S.F. would have been really nice, is that still tiny?
It know a guy who lives in about that space, maybe a bit more, but he's single. I agree that 150 SF is pretty damn small - too small for my taste as a permanent residence. 300 is pretty damn small too. I don't think you are really getting into a practical residence until you hit 500 SF - enough for a bathroom, a cooking area, room for a table and chairs plus a loft bedroom and a bit of storage.

We have now been living in 800 SF plus my radio shack for about 16 months now. We have a storage shed that is not rodent proof. It's just enough space, I think, and we wish we had a bit more as my wife does not have a craft workspace, and she needs it for stained glass and several other hobbies she does.

For us, it's something of an experiment.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #614
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,408
Not exactly "tiny", but we've been in our 1200 sq. ft. modular (with a walkout basement) for 20 years now. The basement is used for laundry and my industrial optics business with half the floorspace to spare. That extra footage is used to work on motorcycles in the winter. Raised 2 kids and a bunch of dogs with no issues- even with only one small bathroom. With four I wouldn't want less space. Now as two with two dogs, I could ditch 300 sq. ft. both up and downstairs and not notice.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #615
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I don't think you are really getting into a practical residence until you hit 500 SF - enough for a bathroom, a cooking area, room for a table and chairs plus a loft bedroom and a bit of storage.
For a year, I lived in a 550/SF 1-bedroom apartment. It was cozy, but perfectly livable for a bachelor. The floorplan would've been good for a cabin. If it had been a garage/apartment with a 2-car garage underneath, I could've lived there forever. Maybe...

For six years, I lived in a 1068/SF 2-bedroom 1-bath house with detached 1-car garage. It was liveable, but it got very cozy when I had extended-stay guests in the house. A girl for a weekend was about enough.

I'm currently living in 1500/SF with my GF. It's not too bad. I'd rather have 2,000 - 2,500, though...
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: