Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #826
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy777 View Post
This might be a great goal to have, when starting with a shipping container. I really like this design a lot. I would do the center section in glass block; privacy plus light. I would think the glass gets installed after being transported.

Glass block is an interesting idea.

I have been looking at this enough that I have made some calls and am kicking around building a prototype or three myself. Don't want to go into detail on this forum but I think that I have an idea on how to protect the glass.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:45 AM   #827
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

"For decades, trailer parks have been increasingly marginalized to a strict set of stereotypes. They might gleam as well-manicured retirement communities to some, but in their most iconic state they are perceived as the province of the unfortunate.
In my time full-timing I stayed in both, as I'm sure you have.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #828
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I spent a bit today drooling over renovated airstreams. Looks like one of the big names in renovations is Matthew Hoffman, of Hoffman Architecture. Check this out!

Apparently on that one he did all the work himself. Bought a used, 70's airstream for a couple thousand, gutted it, and redid everything. Total cost, doing his own labor, was around $20k. Not bad!

But then comes the question: where to put the tools? I suppose I could always buy an acre or two of desert, just outside of Phoenix, and put one of these and a small metal barn on site.

That was my intention with the Boles-Aero but, alas, someone came along with the proverbial "deal I couldn't refuse." Got my sights on a VW Eurovan Winnie instead.

I like what he's done with that. Very light and airy. From the window configuration, I'd bet that's a 30' or 32' land yacht. My folks had one and due to the colors and configuration, it seemed very claustrophobic by comparison.
I also dig the new Westfalia Airstreams.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer

dlearl476 screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 03:15 AM
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #829
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Have one of these places for summer, one for winter, along with a delivery service between the two for the towed homes. Long-term, reliable, predictable clients would be great.

And a clubhouse with big screen TV, pool table, pinball....

And a big common garage space.

And! And!
I think I'm a fan of *lots* of tiny houses.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #830
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
PirateJohn

I just bought an Airstream and am doing some renovations with plans to head out with wife and bikes for an alternative lifestyle. Something like this is an interesting idea. We are mid 30s no kids and like the idea of the RV but not sitting around a trailer park playing shuffleboard. Between that and the transport idea you may be on to something. I wll follow along!
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #831
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
Unless I'm totally missing something (wouldn't be the first time...), the economics of living in an RV park aren't making sense to me. Google suggests that it costs between $30-$70/night, or $300-$500 plus electricity, to park there, plus you have the cost of the RV itself, the fuel to move it, the need for a tow vehicle to drive around while the RV is parked...

Compared to just going somewhere and staying in a basic one bedroom apartment, what are you gaining from that kind of semi-stationary RV living? I've only been in a few RV parks and none of them seemed that great to me, but then again I'm half the age of your typical RV person, too.

I love the tiny houses as design exercises, and could totally live in a place like that cute French place that got featured a few pages back. I get small places -- it's the overlap with RV living that has me scratching my head right now.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #832
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
I get small places -- it's the overlap with RV living that has me scratching my head right now.
+1
While both spaces are small, it seems like two totally different lifestyles.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #833
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
Unless I'm totally missing something (wouldn't be the first time...), the economics of living in an RV park aren't making sense to me. Google suggests that it costs between $30-$70/night, or $300-$500 plus electricity, to park there, plus you have the cost of the RV itself, the fuel to move it, the need for a tow vehicle to drive around while the RV is parked..

-- it's the overlap with RV living that has me scratching my head right now.
Packing and moving. There are two things you're missing. Unless everything you own fits in your car, you have to pack and move every time you change location instead of unplugging and driving.

For me, when I was full-timing it, was was traveling for work and had a good per diem. (maximum allowed as a matter of fact). I could make my motorhome payment, pay park fees and buy food and gas for 2/3rds of what staying in a hotel and eating in restaurants cost and bank the rest. And I never had to pack a suitcase for deal with TSA.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #834
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I'll try to hit all of your points:

The two biggest factors are cost and weight. While metal is cheap but heavy, glass is both expensive and heavy. While the modern look would be quite attractive, it wouldn't tow very easily. The metal mobile homes / tiny homes look "hideous" because of the associated price. Most people build these out of necessity, and don't spend extra money to make them look pretty. Put simply, function over form.

The tiny houses utilize wood construction, again, due to price. Wood construction can easily be done on your own, at minimal cost. Steel construction requires detailed knowledge of welding and bolting, and is a lot more expensive. Because tiny houses are built cheap out of necessity, people don't spend more on metal.

Cost of utilities is another reason why metal / glass construction isn't popular. Neither insulate very well, and in a cold climate, a wooden house with smaller windows is easier to heat (and easier to keep hot) than a metal and glass house. Likewise, in the summer, the metal and glass structure acts like a greenhouse, heating the inside, driving cooling costs up.

Concerning your size preferences -- a 12'x40' house would require a semi truck to tow it, and would require a wide-load permit. Consider it a semi-permanent house. It'd be a lot of paperwork, and a lot of cost just to move it. A smaller toy hauler / workshop could be towed by a large truck, and would be easier to achieve. If you plan on towing both at the same time, then good luck.

If the housing unit were to function as a park trailer, your idea is definitely doable. I saw a special a few years ago on a trailer park in Aspen, CO (of all places!). Single-wide trailers were going for a million dollars, but the style seems closer to what you're talking about. Here's an example of one:

(Source, with more pictures).

As for the drop floor on the trailer -- it's actually a decent idea, but again -- more expensive. Most people build on a pre-built trailer, and use the trailer floor as the house floor. This extra height makes insulating the floor easier. It also makes it easier to run piping and holding tanks for water. The downside to building at this level is decreased headroom. In order to meet DOT regulations, the trailer has to be under a certain height. With a higher floor, you'll have less overhead. This, in turn, makes the space smaller. By dropping the floor, it makes construction slightly more difficult (running pipes and such), however you get more room to build up. This means roomier lofts, higher ceilings, and more storage... or, a lower overall trailer height, and better aerodynamics. Your choice.

So while I like your idea of an attractive, modern Tiny House, price is always a concern. If you don't like the look of the typical Tiny House, check out Tumbleweed House's Popomo Plan. Same idea of building small, on a trailer -- just with glass and metal. The example given uses a "rusty" finish, but you could theoretically do the exterior finish any way you see fit. If the Popomo Plan is too small for you, their Z-Glass Plan is slightly larger. However at 14' wide (and 28' long), it'd require a wide load permit to move (though it'd fit your description).

As for the Toy Hauler -- the size is dependent on your needs. A couple of bikes and some tools could be carried in something as small as an 8'x10', if you plan the space right. Obviously, the more toys, the more space you need. Check out the Livin' Lite Travel Trailers. They utilize aluminum construction to bring trailer weight down, and are fairly attractive toy haulers. Their largest model is 8.5'x26'. Dry, it weighs around 5,000 lbs, and can carry another 5,000. The largest one as a permanent bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen up front, with sleeping options in the rear, as well (folding couch, dinette, and even a queen size loft bed that stows up against the ceiling!). Something like that could easily be hitched to a truck, and ready to go in no time at all -- while functioning as a full-time garage / workshop when home.

Hope this answers your questions!

Was going back and reading and just saw your post. You have some excellent points Amigo. Excellent.

The Popomo. A little too small for my tastes, and personally I don't see the charm of that style exterior material, but that's just me. Interesting cubic design just the same.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #835
PirateJohn
Banned

Another cubic design that I don't think we have discussed. Built as a modular house but would fit the same footprint as a park model trailer.

Man, I had to do a double take - looks just like the Tiny House, doesn't it?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #836
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Interesting concept, however I wonder how portable is it..

That's a lot of glass, and even the best designs flex...
I am amazed what size loads people will stick on a ball. Why not go the little extra and use a fifth wheel or goose neck? After hanging around Montana, I am sold on something that locks on over the axle, not 6 feet behind the axle.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #837
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I've enjoyed lurking here for over a year now. Mainly for the enjoyment of the different design ideas which is my kind of "playground". But lately the thread has become a bit too toxic. It's a shame really. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.
I enjoyed this thread when it was about tiny houses rather than recreational vehicles.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #838
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I enjoyed this thread when it was about tiny houses rather than recreational vehicles.
Isn't there an RV thread or five around here somewhere?? Seems like the place to take this kinda thing.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #839
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 38,946
Let's get this thread back on track

http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built...in/#more-27417

I'm digging the simplicity
Old 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #840
PirateJohn
Banned

Out of curiosity do folks think that container homes cross over into Tiny House territory?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: