Oddometer: 13,547
Aye!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #842
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Out of curiosity do folks think that container homes cross over into Tiny House territory?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Not if its bolted to a fucking trailer.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #843
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Another cubic design that I don't think we have discussed. Built as a modular house but would fit the same footprint as a park model trailer.

Man, I had to do a double take - looks just like the Tiny House, doesn't it?

My family owned a house covered with Core-ten steel - it was funny as hell the first couple of months before it rusted - we had to water the house! After 20 years it was like this picture.

Very cool small house.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #844
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
My family owned a house covered with Core-ten steel - it was funny as hell the first couple of months before it rusted - we had to water the house! After 20 years it was like this picture.

Very cool small house.
I don't really see the appeal but then again I am an olde pharte (tm). There are many things that I don't understand ;)

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #845
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
I don't really see the appeal but then again I am an olde pharte (tm). There are many things that I don't understand ;)

Two things about coreten that really stand out. One, it's lifetime - that shit never has to be painted or maintained. Two, it was a venacular, the house was designed to look like an old mining building set onto a hillside - of course the acres of glass rather detracted from that look, but still, from certain angles - and the color blended into the hillside so well many people never knew the house was even there. No green grass yard, wild grasses right up to the house and all that, very modern.

Which was funny since my mom's Christmas tree could be seen from 6 miles.

But that was not a small house - it was around 3,200 SF or so, maybe 3,500, big but modest by the local standards, and by the fact that the new owners tripled the size of the place with an addition.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #846
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,880
Quote:
The Tiny Houses But Not On Wheels Thread -

I am pretty sure that this is so high off the ground because it has wheels under it.

If someone wanted to do a traditional style cottage on the cheap and didn't want wheels they might look at a Derksen Portable Building or something from their competitors. Prices seem right, and they creatively finance them although the interest rates are killer.

They are delivered without an interior and with no wiring. The dealers are cagey about the legalities of hooking them up to the power grid or the legalities of using them as a dwelling, but I have seen someone build an oil patch housing community out of about a dozen of them so there seems to be some work arounds.

Some of the Derksen cabins are pretty neat. We're looking for something similar to use as dorm homes for the kids. If we ever manage to get this damn project off the ground.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #847
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Two things about coreten that really stand out. One, it's lifetime - that shit never has to be painted or maintained. Two, it was a venacular, the house was designed to look like an old mining building set onto a hillside - of course the acres of glass rather detracted from that look, but still, from certain angles - and the color blended into the hillside so well many people never knew the house was even there. No green grass yard, wild grasses right up to the house and all that, very modern.

Which was funny since my mom's Christmas tree could be seen from 6 miles.

But that was not a small house - it was around 3,200 SF or so, maybe 3,500, big but modest by the local standards, and by the fact that the new owners tripled the size of the place with an addition.
Interesting. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #848
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Some of the Derksen cabins are pretty neat. We're looking for something similar to use as dorm homes for the kids. If we ever manage to get this damn project off the ground.
Good luck!

I have looked at them as a garage/workshop. Might wind up getting one yet.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #849
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 40,880
Quote:
Good luck!

I have looked at them as a garage/workshop. Might wind up getting one yet.

Thanks John - we're going to need all the luck we can get. The last two properties that would have been a good start ended up being taken off the market before we got a chance to put an offer in. And our 'ideal' property is simply financially out of reach at the moment. Hoping for the powerball
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #850
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Thanks John - we're going to need all the luck we can get. The last two properties that would have been a good start ended up being taken off the market before we got a chance to put an offer in. And our 'ideal' property is simply financially out of reach at the moment. Hoping for the powerball

That seems to be the way it is when dealing with property. A lot of heartache.

Good luck and pursue your dreams Amigo!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #851
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Well this thread was an interesting read. I can'tsay I would want to live in one a house thas sub 500sqft, not unless it's on a bit plot of land, with a shop on it.

I kinda have a dream of a Plot of land in eastern oregon, with a observatory, shop( my tools need their space) and a 16ft camper/kit cabin on it. I think I could build a little kit cabin, and outfit it with the appliances from a camper, would mean I could be off the grid.

I find it funny though, that there are people who would spend tens of thouands of dollars on a 150sqft MicoHouse, thats only a bit bigger than my current camper. Thats a rip off.
I
Old 02-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #852
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
Not if its bolted to a fucking trailer.
Never seen a container home bolted to a trailer. But hey ... For you ... Anything can be arranged! ;)

I think that the reason why some of the original tiny homes were built as park trailers was to get around some legalities, at least in some areas. All things being equal I'd prefer something that didn't have wheels because then the height when you enter would be lower. Also, a lower structure makes it easier to build a garage where you wheel motorcycles in and out - no or minimal ramps.

If I can pull off my design it will be demountable - jack it up, pull the trailer out, lower the housing/workshop unit to the ground.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #853
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyStuff View Post
Well this thread was an interesting read. I can'tsay I would want to live in one a house thas sub 500sqft, not unless it's on a bit plot of land, with a shop on it.

I kinda have a dream of a Plot of land in eastern oregon, with a observatory, shop( my tools need their space) and a 16ft camper/kit cabin on it. I think I could build a little kit cabin, and outfit it with the appliances from a camper, would mean I could be off the grid.

I find it funny though, that there are people who would spend tens of thouands of dollars on a 150sqft MicoHouse, thats only a bit bigger than my current camper. Thats a rip off.
I
I noticed that one manufactured design that I was looking at started at 400 sq. ft. and then jumped to 500 sq. ft. at no increase in price.

So I agree with you that some of the pricing is out of whack.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #854
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
I think that the reason why some of the original tiny homes were built as park trailers was to get around some legalities, at least in some areas.
Yep, many places have a minimum SF for a dwelling unit, but a trailer/mobile home is exempt from that.

Of course, you add the complication that most communities don't allow you to buy a city lot and put a trailer on it.

I don't know much about Park Homes, but I don't want neighbors.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #855
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Yep, many places have a minimum SF for a dwelling unit, but a trailer/mobile home is exempt from that.

Of course, you add the complication that most communities don't allow you to buy a city lot and put a trailer on it.

I don't know much about Park Homes, but I don't want neighbors.

And it's like truckin' with wide loads ... a related subject when you move one of these things. The laws vary from state to state, sometimes from county to county (I discovered that here in Texas when I asked for advice).

That's part of the reason why people went with park trailers at 400 square feet - they get around some of these rules.

And I hear you about neighbors. I actually like people. But I want to have something for riders and to exclude the Kens that are negative and can't ride.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: