Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #931
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
"Make your move now, selling below cost for a quick sale!" and it's been on the ,market for 256 days. Ha!
Yeah but it's also in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, it's an hour's drive from the grocery store. And while it's just on the other side of the mountain from Breckenridge, it's an hour's drive.

Back on topic -- here's yet another small house blog:

http://smallhousebliss.com/
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #932
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
Small houses are awesome. Two guys endlessly comparing whose dick is smaller isn't awesome. Be the bigger person and let it drop.

This place is way bigger than I'd want, but I really like the colors and textures. You could easily borrow from this to make a very liveable and striking smaller house. Thanks for posting the picture, neat stuff.
I've been cogitating on something similar to this as a garage. Talk about an awesome workspace!

M
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #933
DreamRiderRG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've been cogitating on something similar to this as a garage. Talk about an awesome workspace!
M
If you ever begin such a project please reply back here and link us your build thread!
DreamRiderRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #934
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I know it's not a tiny house, but it goes along with PirateJohn's land quest:

Tell me no!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12...18608943_zpid/

3 acres of rural Colorado. It's got a small foundation dug half into the hillside, close to the road (with opening / views facing away from the road). I know pretty much EXACTLY what I'd do with that property. The land is going for just under $50k, and I'd build about $100k worth of small house and garage. Going back to an earlier post -- I'd like to see one of the cottage plans from Tumbleweed Houses on that land.

Only downside I see is the lack of ANYTHING within an hour's drive. Nice for some, but I still need some form of employment.

Oh well, I can always dream...
Fairplay is the nearest big city. I think they have a supermarket, they have a couple of gas stations, an ACE hardware or similar, and a pizza hut.

Friend of mind has an off the grid, mostly, up near there, really hard to get to though, not as easy as this one looks to be.

But yea, you are in colorado, but not really near anything.

If you want remote but not impossible, look in and around Bond, Dotsero, the Colorado River Road....State Bridge.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #935
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Yea, vehicles in the middle. Drafting and reference in one room, cabinet shop, electronics shop, parts/materials storage, lounge.

Not very small at that scale, but sure would be a fun place to have if you had the toys to fill it.

Heck, think big, lift in the floor and machine shop at the end.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 03-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #936
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Yea, vehicles in the middle. Drafting and reference in one room, cabinet shop, electronics shop, parts/materials storage, lounge.

Not very small at that scale, but sure would be a fun place to have if you had the toys to fill it.

Heck, think big, lift in the floor and machine shop at the end.

Great minds think alike! I did several sketches of a container house and shop space that would have been 6x 40 ft. containers. Shop on one side and house on the other, with a roof supported by the containers and covering enough space for cars, motorcycles, and two motorhomes.

In the final analysis, however, I felt that it really wasn't portable enough and that had been the whole idea behind using containers in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #937
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
In the final analysis, however, I felt that it really wasn't portable enough and that had been the whole idea behind using containers in the first place.
Hm, well, one possiblility would be to use tractor trailer trailers - they are more portable, but you are somewhat limited in openings, unless you use the soft-sided ones.

But yea, the application in a fixed application looks cool - and greater when you spend the big bucks to have everything painted nicely, rather than fresh off the boat...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #938
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,389
Furniture Designed For Small Spaces

These guys have some brilliantly implemented designs for those living in small spaces. Have yet to check their prices. Doesn't look like they're competing with Ikea!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...21477237867363

Also: www.resourcefurniture.com

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #939
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Wow, that was impressive.

I've seen the orange couch bunk bed they showed at the very end of the FB video. Always wondered who made it. Really like their stuff. Looks quality, too. The box springs look like the stuff from IKEA (good, European IKEA), too.

From a personal standpoint, though, I never liked having a bed in the middle of the living area. While I see the point in seriously tiny spaces (and yes, that is the point of this thread...), I prefer "small" spaces (sub-1,000 sq ft), that are still big enough to have a separate bedroom (or at least a separate sleeping area, such as a sleeping loft). I also don't like it when the only bathroom in the place is accessed through the bedroom. What's the point of keeping my personal space separate from the living / entertaining area, if anyone who comes to visit would have to walk through my mess just to use the bathroom? Just preference, I guess...

Gimme a 500-800 sq ft house, with 2 bedrooms (or 1 and a sleeping loft), and a bathroom accessed via the main living area.

...Gonna go drool over their website now.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #940
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
These guys have some brilliantly implemented designs for those living in small spaces. Have yet to check their prices. Doesn't look like they're competing with Ikea!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...21477237867363

Also: www.resourcefurniture.com
Very cool!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #941
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,426
You call that living tiny?

Some pretty good ideas...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #942
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
Tiny Houses are making YahooNews...

Tiny houses on the market nationwide

Quote:

Living in a place that's a lot less than 1,000 square feet is usually reserved for people just starting out on their own.
But a growing group of people are choosing to live in smaller homes, even if they can afford something bigger. Tiny houses or "micro-homes" appeal to buyers who want to pare down their lives in every way.
In San Francisco and New York, tiny apartments measuring as small as 220 square feet have begun to seem like a viable way to combat rising rents. Mayor Michael Bloomberg challenged architects to design a New York micro-apartment, and chose a winner in January.
The real estate downturn was of course one of the biggest catalysts behind the small home movement, says Michael Janzen of Tiny House Design. “A lot of people who are retired are looking at tiny homes as a way to downsize,” he said. “Younger people are interested in it as a way to get a foothold on homeownership, and a lot of people like the environmental aspect.”
And, adds Janzen, not only do smaller homes cost less, you can also build a tiny home yourself.
“It’s an empowering movement,” he said.
While there are resources and plans to build your own tiny home, it’s also possible to buy one currently on the market. First up is a 600-square-foot cottage within walking distance of the beach in Southern California's Dana Point...

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #943
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Tiny Houses are making YahooNews...

Tiny houses on the market nationwide
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted....

It's almost like we are going post-consumerism in a very small way.

Would be interesting to see urban planning based on some smaller houses sort of backing into large shared common areas - IOW, small personal lots and houses with a back yard that opens into a commons - and the front side had the street and parking - lots of interesting ideas I would think

Even small duplex units would potentially work well.

If done properly, these types of developments could also share things like heat - a common boiler plant with distribution for heat and domestic hot water would save space in the homes and simplify home upkeep with no water heater or boiler/furnace. Metering would not be a problem.

Wonder how much of this is being driven, if any, by the economy.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #944
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Great minds think alike! I did several sketches of a container house and shop space that would have been 6x 40 ft. containers. Shop on one side and house on the other, with a roof supported by the containers and covering enough space for cars, motorcycles, and two motorhomes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTgoafptBKo
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #945
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,539
Love this thread. Back in the 80's, I worked in NY but lived near by in Greenwich, CT. Only because that was the only place I could find a rental! It was a tiny house, I must have pics somewhere, might have to scan them if I can find my scanner.

The woman who owned the main house was a famous author, but I don't remember her name
The little house was walking distance from the main house, located in front of a pond. It was appx. 20 by 20 feet, IIRC. There was a stove, a cooktop, but a half frig. The main room seemed large, there was a murphy bed that dropped out of the wall. It faced a HUGE sliding glass door, which faced the pond. It was filled with bookshelves, because when she would sequester her self back in her writing days she liked to read too. I could not put enough books on the shelves, ever! There was a small bathroom on the opposite side of the kitchen, with a standup shower stall. In front of the house, there was a car port. On the side, was a door with a 3 foot wide by 7 or eight foot long storage space. If I did have a moto at the time, it would have fit in the space. High ceiling, lots of windows. You could barely see the main house from the little one, and visa versa.

It was really cool, and the first tiny house I ever saw. I was there for several years.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: