Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 88 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #946
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
Thanks Mon!

I think that I have a scheme to build some lifts that would attach to the corners and lift a 20 ft. container vertically. Have been talking to the builder of this trailer about building one with retractable twist locks so that a 20 ft. container could be loaded between the gooseneck and the fenders and locked into place:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #947
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Thanks Mon!

I think that I have a scheme to build some lifts that would attach to the corners and lift a 20 ft. container vertically. Have been talking to the builder of this trailer about building one with retractable twist locks so that a 20 ft. container could be loaded between the gooseneck and the fenders and locked into place:

FYI: Fenders/wheels on the outside of a 20' container would constitute a "wide load" in most North American jurisdictions necessitating a dimensionally oversized load permit and adherence to any included conditions in that permit. Also, these permits are usually only good for a single move under controlled conditions.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #948
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
FYI: Fenders/wheels on the outside of a 20' container would constitute a "wide load" in most North American jurisdictions necessitating a dimensionally oversized load permit and adherence to any included conditions in that permit. Also, these permits are usually only good for a single move under controlled conditions.

Correct. Trailer is 102" wide. The idea is that the container would load in front of the fenders.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #949
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Correct. Trailer is 102" wide. The idea is that the container would load in front of the fenders.

Thanks, understood now. So in that configuration you'd be getting over 50% of the gross trailer & modified container weight transferred to the gooseneck hitch? Do you have a weight estimate?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #950
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,666
Quote:
Thanks, understood now. So in that configuration you'd be getting over 50% of the gross trailer & modified container weight transferred to the gooseneck hitch? Do you have a weight estimate?
That was the first thing I thought of - might be easier to weld up rails to mount it above the axles, unless that makes it too tall and unwieldy.

Seems to me that a regular frame and cheap tractor might be more cost effective.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #951
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Trailer has a GVW Of 18,000 lbs. and the truck is a Class 5 with a 16,000 GVW. Tare weight of an empty 20 ft. ISO container is around 6,000 lbs. so everything should be well within specs.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #952
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
That was the first thing I thought of - might be easier to weld up rails to mount it above the axles, unless that makes it too tall and unwieldy.

Seems to me that a regular frame and cheap tractor might be more cost effective.

If I go through with this project the trailer will be used as a platform for a park model trailer/demountable modular housing unit and garage combo. I wanted to get the height down so that the step in height was a few steps lower than if it were mounted over the wheels.

Carrying a 20 ft. container is just a side benefit. I agree that if the trailer were dedicated to moving ISO containers that I'd probably go with another design.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #953
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,097
Quote:
Key West used to have a sizeable, informal houseboat community called Houseboat Row. The current Houseboat Row at a marina is just a shadow of what it once was.

The whole subject of liveaboards is tough. A lot of marinas and towns don't encourage them. I kept my sailboat at a marina that had a large number of liveaboards and some houseboats but down the road at the "nicer" marina they would have had a fit if you spent more than a night on your own boat.

Because liveaboards usually don't pay taxes the towns aren't happy. When the hurricanes hit South Florida about 20 years ago Florida City and the other towns took the view that since folks had lost their boats and the docks were gone that they didn't exist and refused any aid whatsoever to the victims of the hurricane. Likewise when a storm hit Key West the authorities used the opportunity to remove all the Houseboat Row homes from the channel and restrict them to a small marina.

I kinda came into the RV thang because I admired the liveaboards but for my own tastes an RV has proven to be more practical.

It's amazing how governments try to shoe horn a free citizen into their viewpoint. Live in a motor home , fine. Live aboard a boat? Bad.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #954
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
It's all about the revenue generation.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #955
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Almost forgot about this one: It won a few design awards years ago. There was a little bit of publicity, and they were going to sell them -- but I haven't heard anything since.

It's called the "Micro Compact Home". It's a house in a 9 foot cube. They can be towed, air lifted, or set in place by a crane (or a bunch of college students, provided you supply enough beer).

The layout is weird, but effective. You walk in the front door, straight into a "wetzone" bathroom. The floor allows water to drain, and there's a toilet and a shower head. From a functional perspective, you could leave dirty / wet shoes and clothes here, and keep the house part clean. From there, you walk into the rest of the "house". A galley kitchen is on the left, and a sunken dinette on the right. The dinette seats are at floor level, with foot space below deck. Above the dinette is a full sized, extra long bed that folds up and out of the way. The dinette table drops down and forms another bed, at floor level. To the right and back (in line with the bathroom) is storage.

I really like the modern styling, but I'm partial on walking into the bathroom. Either put a curtain in front of the toilet (so you don't see it when you walk in), or have a second door where the small window is, at the opposite end.
cab591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #956
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

More on the unit:

They can be free-standing, and self sufficient (solar panels, wind turbines, what have you):

Or part of a community, with the use of walkways and decks:

(Note: This image shows part of the original design and testing. The manufacturer established a small community of the units on a college campus, and used them for cheap, single-student housing.)

There was even a conceptual multi-leveled "tree" community:

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #957
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Looks too much like a cell. As in a prison cell. A tiny house should be beautiful, artistic, not look like an appliance or the back kitchen of a McDonalds. IMO.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #958
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Looks too much like a cell. As in a prison cell. A tiny house should be beautiful, artistic, not look like an appliance or the back kitchen of a McDonalds. IMO.
81 square feet just gets into the seriously tiny - far smaller than I would find desirable as a residence.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #959
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
81 square feet just gets into the seriously tiny - far smaller than I would find desirable as a residence.
I like it, I lived in 100sq ft and had ample room and the only thing I didn't have was a bathroom. My bigger concern would be the noise from weather with the lack of noise deadening materials.
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #960
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
I like it, I lived in 100sq ft and had ample room and the only thing I didn't have was a bathroom. My bigger concern would be the noise from weather with the lack of noise deadening materials.
Well, it's designed and built by the Germans, so no doubt it's over-engineered. As for the size, it's not too different than living in a small trailer... only it'd be warmer in the winter. Styling is subjective. I like the clean, minimalist look. For a young, single person, it looks comfortable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: