User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
R1200GS battery charger recommendation

Holy dooley , $280 for BMW battery charger. Needs to be gel battery specific apparently.

Any recommendations for a R1200GS battery charger at a reasonable price?
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
Does it require BMW eletricity as well?

For <$280 you could by an AGM Odyssey and not have to worry about the charger.

Odyssey reckon you need the fancy charger but only to reach full float for constant loss systems.

I blew my diode block and completely drained my little battery.
I pulled the bigger AGM of the shelf where it had been sitting for 18 months .
It was showing 12.8V.
In the time it took me to drive to RJs to pick up a new diode block little one was back to low 13V from a 20 year old $30.00 Repco charger.

I let the alternator take care of the rest.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,925
There are some good buys on Ebay for 'CTEK' battery chargers at the moment. I have been looking them up for a friend of mine. The CTEK's are supposed to be pretty good as are the OPTIMATE's.

I like the way you can leave a connection on the battery to make life easy.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CTEK-XS-3600-...item2eaeaef61d

More enthusiasm than ability!!

twotyred screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 03:54 PM
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Wombbat
Claytons n00b

Oddometer: 57
The only thing different about the BMW charger is that it sends a pulse signal back to the canbus to keep the circuit from the accessory socket to the battery open (normally shuts down 1 minute after the ignition is turned off) to allow the charge current to flow to the battery.

There is couple of ways around this, one is to buy a normal Ctek or Battery Fighter type charger and just take the seat off and connect the clamps to the terminals ala normal procedure or buy another accessory socket (supercheap sell them) and wire it directly to the battery, this has the added benefit of giving you an accessory socket that will run a compressor, the canbus only allows a current draw of 5 amps on the standard socket and shuts off the power as soon as turn even a small compressor is turned on.

I have had the second option on my 07 GS for couple of years now, works a treat.

Cheers
Bevan

PS forgot to mention that option 2 is completely reversible IE no cut wires etc, you just disconnect and unscrew the original socket then mount the new one in the same place, the one I bought already had an inline fuse built in as well.

Wombbat screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 04:03 PM
Wombbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Wire in a 'fused' extra power socket directly to the battery because you cannot use a conventional charger through the canbus system.

Should cost you no more than $20 for everything you need from Supercheap etc. I run a 15amp fuse, it seems sufficient.

Then you can purchase a BMW type battery charger like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-type-Auto...item1c14374105

I have one for each bike and have been using them for about 12 months.

Great little product and it gives me an extra 12V live outlet on the bike for charging the mobile etc when I'm stopped for lunch etc.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 682
i have just got a Solar panel from JayCar and plugged it straight to the GS battery terminals...

Seems to work and start fine.... all up...cost was $45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other JC
Holy dooley , $280 for BMW battery charger. Needs to be gel battery specific apparently.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other JC

If your bike is still under warranty I wouldn't make any modifications, like hooking up additional wires etc.

Buy the BMW battery charger, it's expensive but so is a new battery. If something goes wrong there will be no dispute to get a warranty claim honoured. I had a faulty battery replaced by BMW without any issue or cost.

The BMW battery charger works with the CANBUS system and you can "trickle" charge the battery via the accessory/power socket...

I've mounted my charger on the wall and when i park my bike i plug the charger in... Even if you use your bike everyday it's best the maintain the battery by leaving it on the charger... IMO a battery should never be off the charger....

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/BMW-charger.html

katoong screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 11:30 PM
katoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong
If your bike is still under warranty I wouldn't make any modifications, like hooking up additional wires etc.

Buy the BMW battery charger, it's expensive but so is a new battery. If something goes wrong there will be no dispute to get a warranty claim honoured. I had a faulty battery replaced by BMW without any issue or cost.

The BMW battery charger works with the CANBUS system and you can "trickle" charge the battery via the accessory/power socket...

I've mounted my charger on the wall and when i park my bike i plug the charger in... Even if you use your bike everyday it's best the maintain the battery by leaving it on the charger... IMO a battery should never be off the charger....

http://www.r1200gs.info/misc/BMW-charger.html

Putting an accessory 12V output on your bike is not going to void any warranty. Its like adding driving lights/GPS etc etc, a non-event

The BMW CANBUS system is 3 parts useless!! Any more than a 5 amp draw and the fucking thing shuts down.

Its no good having a 400-700W alternator to run all the good gear if you cant run a friggin heated vest through the pathetic system BMW supplies!!

Spend $20 bucks and fit an extra power outlet and then spend $50 for the batt-pack charger and spend he other $210 on something useful!!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Mickldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
There are a number of chargers available to use but make sure it is suitable for the gel battery if that is what it has. Most of the good chargers can be switched from wet cell to gel to AGM. Each different battery type has different charging voltages needed. Make sure you get a three stage charger.

Or you could just ride it more often and the battery won't go flat (note smiley to indicate a joke)

Ride on, gonna change my evil ways
Ride on, one of these days
One of these days
Mickldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
The Other JC OP
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 190
Thanks for the input people. bike is not under warranty, just want to be prepared for if and when the worst occurs of a cold morning.
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #11
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Putting an accessory 12V output on your bike is not going to void any warranty. Its like adding driving lights/GPS etc etc, a non-event
All I will say is should you connect a GPS directly to your battery and the battery dies due to a GPS power drain, BMW will not replace your battery under warranty. The CANBUS system is there for a reason, to protect your battery. Go ask your BMW dealer about warranty claims before making incorrect statements like this.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #12
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoong
All I will say is should you connect a GPS directly to your battery and the battery dies due to a GPS power drain, BMW will not replace your battery under warranty. The CANBUS system is there for a reason, to protect your battery. Go ask your BMW dealer about warranty claims before making incorrect statements like this.
His bike is not under warranty anymore!!

I have 2 BMWs that up until recently both where under warranty and one of them has the BMW power socket wired direct to the battery, ala factory done so the way I see it, if its good enough for BMW to do it, its good enough for me!

If it does kill something in the system, which is very very unlikely,are you going to tell them you dicked with it?

You would have to be bloody niaive or plain stupid to do that!!

Wire it through a fuse and you wont have any problems at all and save yourself $210!!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #13
katoong
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem

If it does kill something in the system, which is very very unlikely,are you going to tell them you dicked with it?

You would have to be bloody niaive or plain stupid to do that!!
So say your GPS (directly wired to the battery terminals) drains your battery and the battery dies ( btw no fuse will prevent battery drain) Will you first disconnect everything go back to BMW and put in a warranty claim and claim that the battery is defective? If you do this I'm sorry to say in my eyes you are are a very dishonest and deceitful person.

We only talk about a 1200 and not about a 650, I also have a 650GS and I know that the power socket is wired only with a fuse to the battery, the 1200 has the CANBUS system to protect the battery.

Anyway this will be my last post on this thread as your tone and language is something I don't want to associate myself with.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #14
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
i was always happy with the Optimate.

I don't know how BMW get away with their pricing!
Rabbitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 AM   #15
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva
i have just got a Solar panel from JayCar and plugged it straight to the GS battery terminals...

Seems to work and start fine.... all up...cost was $45.
s: Pics plz ??