Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Hari in Gila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
i love these parent/child rides. Let's me make my dream a little more real. She's only 6, but a 50cc is in her future. ATGATT is the way to go.

Traveling the less traveled, seeing the often missed.

Great West Trail - We provide logistics for your Southern CDT adventures. PM me with any questions
Hari in Gila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 823
Woke to beautiful broken clouds in Victoria. Nice morning to relax and sip a coffee before heading out to catch the Ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay back on the mainland. Except for the fact that we screwed up and the boat leaves one hour earlier than we thought last night. Quick pack and we are outa there

Backing my bike out of their garage I look up, and there, starring right at me, is a clock, clearly as sign from above.

As we head north or 'up island' as it is known to the locals, we run into everyone from the Boat yesterday. It appears that everyone hung out in Victoria before continuing their journey. We all wave like we were long lost friends.

We get to the ferry in plenty of time. The lineup has lots of bikes from all over creation, heading every which way possbile. Some on their way, some heading home. Great stories abound.

One is from Cesar, who seemed to be from CO. As we talk about trips I mention my potential trip to Honduras next January. His eyes light up and he says I must stay at his hotel in Guat!! Damn, that's cool. We exchange information and I make a note to Google the Hotel Marbissa when I get home.

On the Boat I notice Chris's chain is a bit tight. After a quick fix we settle to the back of the boat with the young folks doing thier best to burn as much BC bud as they can. We sit in the warmth of the sun, kick off our shoes and enjoy (the view).

Horseshoe Bay is at the foot of the Whistler Highway about 10 miles north of Vancouver. Very nice part of the world. And the highway is awesome!

On the way north we run into a couple German riders at Shannon Falls who have just come across Canada. Damn isn't it amazing how cool all MC riders are. We talked about their trip, how expensive Canada was and how they are now very bummed now that I have told them they have just missed D2D

The falls were in fine form today.

We get into Whistler and check in to the timeshare we have for the night. Whistler is the gateway to gods country.

Here Chris and I get some great time to talk and share both memories and the future. We (over)enjoy a buffet BBQ, a dip in the pool, and some quality time in the jacuzz and Koala room (the name for the steam room per my daughter when she was 8 because it smelled like eucalyptus ).
We are fortunate enough to be able to come here often. One of Chris's memories is how much fun it was to put shampoo in the jacuzzi tub. A pic from those days.

Our last night in civilization comes to a close.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts

GR8ADV screwed with this post 07-29-2010 at 09:55 AM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari in Gila
i love these parent/child rides. Let's me make my dream a little more real. She's only 6, but a 50cc is in her future. ATGATT is the way to go.
Damn that is cool. I clearly remember asking my Dad for a 'mini bike' back when I was a kid. No such luck for me. 6 is a cool age; you are both lucky. Enjoy

Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

We bought breakfast last night and ate in bed this morning. A feast of Rhubarb/Blueberry pie. Add a glass of milk and heck we even had most of the food groups covered. Could not get out without a quick trip to the Koala room. Popped the suits in the dryer while we packed so we did not have to carry any wet gear around.

Broken clouds and 65 degrees. Better that I had hoped. Today we head north on Hwy 99 then just after a few miles we hang a right onto the Duffy Lake road and beauty becomes second only to great beauty as we head through the pass from Westen BC to the interior. At the turn-off we seem to lodge ourselves between a set of Jap bikes infront and a group of HD riders behind; looks like we have the bike world covered. We all stop as construction crews have everyone stopped. The river is flowing about 3+ inches deep over the road. My heart sinks to think about the 10 hour detour this might require. But all for not, they let us pass. Our Our first water crossing . Fun making waves on this great day.

This is one beautiful stretch of road, and almost no traffic. Steep mountains and a deep valley.

It gets cool in the pass and we are both glad for our heated grips as the temp drops to the high 40's briefly before climbing quickly to mid 70's again.

Lunch at a great Greek place in Lillooet. Hey the first food shot!

From here it is across the Fraser river and east on 99 through Marble Canyon. One of my favorite roads of all time to ride. High on the bluff above the river, winding past pretty teal Pavilion lake and others; great pavement, and a wonderful engineered road. Sorry no pics, can't stop now we are 'in the flow'.

This was our longest ride day, showing up in Likely BC around 6 pm. It showed as we were both a bit road tired when we arrive. The smallest of small towns, yet wonderful, nestled nicely on the Quesnel River. Most people blow right past this area and head through Quesnel, hurrying past some of the most wonderful country, on their way to Prince George and other places north. This trip will be different. I am really glad we have time. Dead quiet, quaint, and very very green.

We need to figure out what we are going to do, so we grab a couple sodas and something to eat and ask around. As this market IS the town, everyone eventually shows up. When asked about the temperatures in the winter they said, "well the school busses stop running at 30 below, but that only happened 5 or 6 times last year"

One very old prospector, smoking a hand-roll, or was it smoking him, said he would never camp around here - "hell, bears everywhere, what the hell is a matter with you". Others had some other ideas. The best was Quesnel Forks, at the fork of the Quesnel and Caribou rivers. 8 miles away. And it is on a dirt road, so even better Steep downhill at the end. "why did you slow down so much dad..." Punk.

Creepy but cool old ghost town from the Gold rush days. It was the first European/Asian settlement in BC not associated with the fur trade. Partially restored buildings, an old cemetary. This was once the biggest gold rush town north of San Francisco. One old couple in a camper there. Did I mention damn creepy...but cool. We toured around the 'town' and cemetary. Bear shit everywhere. Just got a bit creepier.

We kick back after our self guided foot tour and self taught gold rush history lesson. Assuming we don't get eaten, this is a great place. A good fire put a wraps on this day of steller riding country. Here is the first of many many nights in the tent.

Tomorrow we head out on the "Back Road' from Likely to Barkerville. A dirt backroad to explore the back country of the BC Cariboo.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 10:43 PM
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Here is todays plan:

Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain
Sub-scribed!

Wanna adopt another son? I have my own career...come equipped with Grandchildren and LOVE to travel far and wide....

Just sayin....?
Wow, a kid that might not suck thousands of dollars a year out of my wallet. I am actually having a hard time with the whole concept of that. I will check with the missus. pics may be required... of the grandkids.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by enumclaw
This sounds so familiar. My then 17 y/o son did the MSF training, got him a great bike to start out with, a KLR250. Prep miles all with me, ATGATT minded as well. He graduated from high school last year, shortly after we traded up to a KLR650.

Not long after that we headed out on a 6 day ride through eastern WA, OR, ID, MT, and back. It is a great feeling having him in the rear view mirror, or out in front.

It is also scary as hell.

Late August we're heading up for a week on Vancouver Island. Next year we're doing the Deadhorse trip. These are some great times.

Not to stomp on your report, you understand. Keep it coming, looking forward to it.
Great pic!! so cool when you can ride with your kids. So cool.

Where are you going on the Island? Canada is a great place to ride and the island portion is no exception. There is just so few people in canada. I am amazed at how folks want to blow through BC and the YT to get to AK. The country is beautiful and remote with lakes and mountians everywhere. AK is crowded in comparison.

Would be interested in your plans, and a RR is coming right?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #23
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
Great pic!! so cool when you can ride with your kids. So cool.
That's how I grew up too...

1967: ...4 years old

1981: ...18 years old, riding with dad

Those were cool times growing up. This will always stick with me. Dad passed away 12 years ago.

And, yes, please keep it coming. I'm enjoying your report a great deal. Especially, since we met in Hyder
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.REX63
That's how I grew up too...

1967: ...4 years old

1981: ...18 years old, riding with dad

Those were cool times growing up. This will always stick with me. Dad passed away 12 years ago.

And, yes, please keep it coming. I'm enjoying your report a great deal. Especially, since we met in Hyder
Now Thomas, thank you for sharing. Those are some great pictures

I bet you have some wonderful memories. I do recall now you talking about being hauled around in the sidecar and letting Pia know she had it pretty 'cushy' on the back of and adventure

What are you riding in that second shot?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #25
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Here is todays plan:

Woke today at 6. Not tired, just too happy to he out here. Blue skies with some low clouds in the river valley that would burn off quickly. What a day.

A routine is forming. I would get up a couple hours before Chris. Brew up some coffee, write in my journal and get some time to enjoy and reflect. I walked around the area this morning, making as much anti-bear noise as I could. Only yhe sound of the river encapsulated in intense quiet.

We head out after a wonderful (really) boil in a bag bfast. Up the dirt road, which we both wondered how we would get up this if it had rained.

the Backroad is a classic. Idk how long it is, 150 miles? An awesome well maintained gravel road through the Cariboo and into Wells Park. I am not sure I will find a more enjoyable ride than that. This is the road leading up to it.

Like always I should have taken more pics along the way. I generally take pictures when I stop, but when the riding is awesome, I have trouble stopping. Miles and miles of beauty. Here is my chance at art, but all I get is a nice picture of my mirror

The road passes many waterfalls and lakes. Chris who seldom passes up a chance to take a dip, regardless of the weather, looks over longingly at the stretch of the Cariboo lake and hits the radio.

Chris, "dad, where are our swim trunks"
Dad, "in the dryer at whistler"
Chris, "that's what I was thinking too"

We come across our first Bear as we round a corner. Big and black and right in the road coming towards us. Fortunately for us, he wants less to do with us than we want with him.

Now next time someone tells you that bear sh$t in the woods you can tell them, no, they crap in the road. Because there are either a few bears here that have a digestive problem, or there is one hell of a lot of bears around here. We have to drive around the bear scat there is so much of it in the road. ALL OVER the damn place.

We do take a side trip to Ghost lake and falls.

We meet a great guy there who is a professional photographer. He stops by as we are looking at the falls. He said he has come by to get some pics of grizzlies. Ah, what was that? He agrees with the coffin dodging propector in Likely that nothing would get him in a tent in the area.

He does take a couple pics for us and will email them home to Ms. Adv and let her know, that at least up to this point we have not been eaten.

There was a campsite right there, and looking back, we should have just parked it. It was beautiful and it would have been fun to explore the area and lake. But we forged on. Off to Wells and had a late lunch at a dingy old trailer called Big H's I believe. We were not expecting much for fish and chips, but when he pulled out the fresh fillets and the bowl of home made batter we new we were in business. Now I know that Hunger Provides its own Sauce, but damn this was fish and chips to recon with.

We head to Prince George, stop and pick up a couple new swim suits and head west. We miss a camp site and keep going and finally stop at I think Dave's RV. This is an urban RV jungle and lucky they are nice enough to send us into the campsite in Vanderhoof. Not remote, but quiet, quaint and too urban for bears.

The guy who runs it is a blast and gives us a quiz out of a book. The better we do the cheaper it gets. We suck and he feels sorry for us $10.

Chris looks at a map and sees with the big BackRoad detour that we have gone 1.5 inches today. And the Circle is, oh, about 2 feet north. Holy "shizzle" are you kidding me? The distance is starting to sink in. He is a bit put off after a couple long days. We agree to shorten them.

Evening rolls around we relax and hit the hay. It's dark, and will likely not see much dark for some time.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 07-30-2010 at 06:09 PM
Old 07-31-2010, 04:25 AM   #26
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
What are you riding in that second shot?
The bike in the second picture was a 1972 Moto-Guzzi 850GT. I re-build it myself and got it ready just when I turned 18.

You'll see in my signature that the Moto-Guzzi was my first bike. Back in my days in Germany, one had to be 18 years of age to make a car/motorcycle license.

All the best,
Thomas
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #27
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Woke up to hear it raining last night and expected things to be quite wet as I crawled out of the trusty tent. bone dry? I am so use to the Northwet where it is like a perpetual rain forest, I forget that with the dry air up here things dry out quickly.

Ok Sleep is starting to get to us. The days are getting longer and we are staying up to midnight everynight. Chris being the teenager that he is needs sleep, so the earlier get ups 8 am are killing him. He gets to sleep-in today. We have decided that we will not have any more L o n g days in the saddle as the norm so today will be short.

Holy crap, we have been in Canada for almost a week now and have not been to a Tim Hortons!! We fix that this morning with a doubleouble and lots of sugar. We are well caffeinated and loaded up on enough evil to be fine for a few days. We hit the road around 11 with mild temps and broken clouds. My mirror is loose and I need to tighten it. I don't know who invented the two nut and left hand thread concept at BMW but damn, I always need two tools, three hands and do the work while looking in a mirror backwards and sideways to figure this out.

We hit Smithers around lunch. Cloudy and a few showers. But it is quite a pretty town nestled in the mountains. We have been eyeballing A&W's for the past day or so and get our fix now. The skys clear quite a bit after lunch and we can see how beautiful this town is. Our end point today will be New Hazelton at the foot of the Cassiar. A short ride after a couple long days.

Apparently the most photographed bridge in the country? I guess I can buy that.

I am deathly afraid of heights. And crossing this baby challenged me to know end. I stopped breathing, stared at the end and prayed I would get there. At the end I stop and look in my mirrors and Chris is up and down on the saddle, looking around like he is at the fair.

The Ksan reservation is at the fork of the Buckly and Steen rivers I think, and there is a nice campsite.

We are having too much fun here. Nice place, as we wonder from the historic indian village, over to the general store for a milkshake, off to the river to skip a few stones and watch the locals try their luck at trying to kill some fish. We tuck the tent away in a little forested clearing. The Lions guard the area. This would become the norm.

So far the bugs have been great! Quite remarkable, and we are glad. However sometimes it is not the amount of bugs, but where they bite you that matters.
We may have been away too long, but somehow this reminds me of an old girlfriend from highschool.

One thing about camping is that there is time to really enjoy what is around you. The air is so clean and clear. A quick look up shows us just one more thing that makes this trip great.

Had some time today, so we took a lot of hikes and walks down by the river, had lots of time to just 'be' instead of 'go'.

Or grab a cup of tea and head down to the river(s). We be hangin' loose.

On one of these walks the squirrels 'jacked' Chris's corn nuts. This would be a bond that would last for the trip.

Strange how things play out. This is a place I have never heard of, never mind would have normally stopped at. Whatever/Whenever in full force. I am a bit giddy as we head to bed; the beginning of the Cassiar first thing in the morning and we plan to be in Hyder later in the day. AK here we come.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 07-31-2010 at 09:08 PM
Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #28
Jigo
Westbound

Oddometer: 76
Wish I could do the same trip as soon as I can save enough for a dual-purpose bike. Great pictures and story. Keep it coming.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
Looks like a great trip. Someday it will be done with my son!
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #30
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,593
Quote:

No Nipples in RRs! Oh wait....those aren't nipples...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote