Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #31
CalgaryKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
The Cassiar is an amazing road for sure. Wish I was there with you guys now.

Telegraph Creek is a good trip too, west out of Dease Lake, about 2 hours if I remember.....

Enjoy...
IRON BUTT #12543

BMW MOA #137752

CalgaryKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #32
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,890
Nice RR so far, can't wait to see the rest.

Thanks also for the "Back road" map in BC! Any more inside tips like this are greatly appreciated, as I plan my Alaska trip for next summer.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #33
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
Great pic!! so cool when you can ride with your kids. So cool.

Where are you going on the Island? Canada is a great place to ride and the island portion is no exception. There is just so few people in canada. I am amazed at how folks want to blow through BC and the YT to get to AK. The country is beautiful and remote with lakes and mountians everywhere. AK is crowded in comparison.

Would be interested in your plans, and a RR is coming right?
Still working out the details, but for sure we're going to see how much of the coastline we can find and see. My wife's sister and her husband live in Ladysmith, and that will be the first stop. It will be a whatever/whenever type of trip as well. Keeping the option open to skip over to Horseshoe Bay and run up to Whistler and beyond, dropping to the south and coming back home that way. Definitely a RR forthcoming!
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #34
Marathon Biker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Can't wait to ride with my son. He's only 12 at the moment but loves bikes and riding pillion on mine!

Great RR :)
Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #35
gs211
Adventurer wannabe!!

Oddometer: 63
My son is 12 also and loves to ride w/ me on the GS. I sold it yesterday and he told me I shouldn't have. I read all the RR's about Alaska and he stands behind me at the computer and asks if he can go. He knows I'm planning an Alaska trip.
gs211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #36
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs211
My son is 12 also and loves to ride w/ me on the GS. I sold it yesterday and he told me I shouldn't have. I read all the RR's about Alaska and he stands behind me at the computer and asks if he can go. He knows I'm planning an Alaska trip.
1) You should not have sold the bike.
2) You should take him on your trip.
3) You need to listen more to his advice. He sounds pretty sharp.

I hope you get a chance to do this.

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #37
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Cool morning, and need gloves today around the camp. At least there is lots of blue sky so no way am I complaining. Looking especially forward to the ride today as we hit the Cassiar and point north towards Stewart and Hyder

As we approach the intersection of the Cassiar there was a couple sitting in their car in the parking lot by the Petro Canada sign. Just sitting there waiting for us it seems. This angel jumps out of the car when we arrived and asked for our camera. Go figure, I guess maybe we wern't the first to do this Now she won't take just one, she needs one with just us, then include the bikes, then one of just the sign without the Petro Canada sign. She is not a noob at this corner. And if she went to all of this trouble, I am not going to mess with going to hell by not showing them to you.

The Cassiar is amazing, as soon as you get on it. The road is relatively narrow compared to any real highway. The shoulders and cleared area besides the road is very limited. This is a great road. Strange but for the next two hours or so we see only a couple cars, both going the other way. We get to the turnoff to Stewart and Hyder and hang a quick left.

Ok so you will have to bear with me cus I don't have any pictures along this road. What a ride. Twisty road pinched in between two high mountains and a creek/river that winds along with you. Steep faces at times. It is lush green with waterfalls that cascade. I did think about stopping for a pic, I really did, but I kept thinking that a picture could never capture this. It reminds me most of lush Kauai, wet, overly green, except that it is in the high 40's now and cool. Forget about getting to Stewart and Hyder, the road 'getting' there is worth the trip

Yup there it is, the Bear Glacier. Damn this is beautiful. We stop for the pictures I am sure none of you have seen before haha . But i tell ya, you may have seen them before, but if you come here you will take 20 of yer own. Stunning.

Yup we were actually there.

We arrive at Stewart, which is a pretty good size very small town. A going concern I must say. 2 miles to the Border. When we get there we, well we keep going cus there is no border. I guess there is nowhere for you to go so why ask you a bunch of questions.

Hyder, is not so much a going concern. dirt road and many places boarded up. But there is something about this place I like! We need some food so we stop and ask around. Turns out most things are closed today, well the restaurants are anyway, the bars are all open The only restaurant is the BUS; cool we are in.

Damn fine seafood and a chowder to write home about. We got the third to last bowl. People actually came by earlier in the day and reserved bowls for later. That should tell ya something.

There is a huge RV group in town that apparently is taking over the campground :( We hear about them from the folks at the bus, and they are up at the Salmon Glacier today. Glad we are down here. don't get me started on the RV folks...

We head off to the campground and wind our way around my favorite folks to find out that we can't camp there, this is for RV's only. Damn, if it wasn't for bad luck we would not have any luck at all. He points us to the campground down the road. We are the only ones there.

While I set up camp Chris decides he wants to try out the Adventure. I give him some great Dad advice, like don't crash and he is off. He comes back with a poop eatin grin and says he loves it. As small and maneuverable as the 650 is and as big of a pig as the adv is, it is still a high end piece of technology and equipment. He loves it. And just to let me know, he will trade any time.

We planned on just hangin around today and going up to Salmon Glacier tomorrow. But Chris has the idea of heading up in a couple hours after the RV folks are done. It is not like it is going to get dark or anything. Whatever, that's what we do.

Nice gravel road, a few loose spots to stand up on as you climb, a few holes, fun to ride. the sun is at our backs. Now if you travel up to these parts, ya better get your butt to Hyder and the Salmon Glacier. Here are a few thousand words to convince you.

Having Liard Hot Springs on his mind, Chris is sure that this is a Hot Pool.

I expect those cracks you see are hundreds of feet deep.

WOW

As we head back to town we check out a couple of shops. It seems that making fudge must be a northern exposure kind of thing. Or maybe just a great way to make money, because every small town we stop in has a place that sells fudge. This one is no different and damn is it good. Caroline is also great fun to talk with.

She says it is a great place to live, with the ocean it does not get too much below freezing. But they get many feet of snow. She loves to live there. By mid november the place shuts down and folks focus on enjoying themselves, winter life, and shoveling snow.

Just in case you were wondering, we did laundry and took showers today too Chris did laundry but I am not suppose to tell mom that he knows how to do that.

After a bag of dinner we take a stroll to the general store to stock up on smore stuff. Every night ends the same way, a fire and smores. I will get to smores tomorrow, cus its getting late, but suffice it to say that smores are not just smores in our family. We could go on the cooking network. But smore later.

On the way we run into John from 29 palms on a GS and his buddy on a klr I think. They are staying in the motel. We also run into fellow ADV'rs (T.Rex63) Thomas and his lovely bride Pia who are also staying at the motel. Now tell me, is there a better name for an off road riders wife than Pia?? Great folks and we share stories. They arrived today, and are heading south. They will be spending an extra day in Hyder to see the Glacier, and most likely eat some fudge. Thomas lives in Atlanta, and Pia in Germany. Now that is long distance. She is a real trooper to take this trip on the Pillion. I think it may have been her first big ride. Too fun to talk to a guy who's ride reports I have read.

The store was closed. We walk back to the campsite.

Camping has been a real treat, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. It is almost the same difference as touring Alaska in a car vs a bike. When you are camping you see, feel, smell everything, and really feel a part of the area. We are enjoying it. Chris is becoming proficient with the hatchet and we have great, white man, (read huge and wasteful) fires every night.

It is a little after midnight.

As the air starts to get cool, we both have that really wonderful feeling of anticipation as we think about slipping into those warm down sleeping bags again.

Thanks for reading. I hope I am not boring everybody with the long posts.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-02-2010 at 08:26 AM
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #38
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
Great report! Just got back from riding Colorado with my 17 year old son...

Looks like I need to start planing an Alaska trip now.. :)

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #39
kcbolt
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wink

Excellent RR and no, it is NOT boring. Thanks for posting it. It's great to see someone else from the Seattle area doing this ride. I hope to be able to copy large parts of it some day. Looking forward to the rest of your trip!
kcbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #40
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Hey Ken, thanx for sharing . Fantastic write up and stunning pictures. Keep it coming. It's my daily dose of Alaska, now that it has been almost 4 weeks that I've come back home
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #41
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
While I set up camp Chris decides he wants to try out the Adventure. I give him some great Dad advice, like don't crash and he is off. He comes back with a poop eatin grin and says he loves it. As small and maneuverable as the 650 is and as big of a pig as the adv is, it is still a high end piece of technology and equipment. He loves it. And just to let me know, he will trade any time.
I've said that I don't know how many times to my dad. The thing you have to watch out for is when he goes off to college. Hide the keys to the bike. Seriously. There has been more than one occasion where my dad has come home to find a bike "missing".

Quote:
Nada. Keep it rolling.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #42
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Cold and wet this morning. Not sure where this came from after such a lovely night. But what am I thinking, the weather changes here significantly every hour never mind over night. Luckily we get packed up before it rains.

We actually have to stop at the little shack that is the canadian border and show our passports and delcare our fudge. Off to get some gas and head out. It is now officially raining; and the first real rain I think we have had. I overhear the couple in the gas station say, " yup, these guys ride through anything".

The road is no less spectacular under a cloud cover and rain. When the temps hit the low 40's I turn the knob and warm up nicely. I look back and see Chris steaming so I know he is doing well too.

As we get back to the AK highway the temp drops to 39 degrees. With the evaporative effect, this is getting cold now. 38, 37, and then I do something so damn stupid I can't believe it. I click on the radio:

"Hey Chris it is 37 degrees out here, if it starts snowing I'll be pissed"

Sure enough, 36, 35, 34 and the flurries start. Now we are about 2 hours from anywhere, really, and it starts snowing. I think to myself, man if the road gets white we are just going to have to park it and camp out. Fortunately it just keeps raining cold rain.

Chris is cold and needs to add a lower layer, and his chin is exposed. No I did not bring the balaclava, but I did think about bringing it several times. There you go, it is official, it is not the thought that counts.

Out of nowhere this pops up. The outhouse that saves my son's life

He thermals up and then jams a shirt in his helmet to keep the chin from berging.

The rains lets up soon and we were not actually in the wet too long when we look back at it, but it stays cool. It is nearly 200 miles before we find civilization on an indian reservation, with gas, crappy hot dogs, and looky what we found.

We meet some folks from Wisconsin. KLR's or KTM's or something like that with gas cans strapped all over them They are heading for Prudhoe. They were not spared from the weather either. One guy is standing there and is visibly shaking, I mean big time. Just in case he is not aware, I let him know that he looks pretty bad and may want to go in to warm up. He buddy says not to worry because he snow machines in shorts back home. But the guy chimes in and says he can usually take the cold without too much problem; but today was a bit much. Thank you Mr. Gerbing as we had 12 volts of bliss keeping us alive.

A shot of the Cassiar as it widens for a town. i could ride this road forever.

Thomas back in Hyder said there were only two bad construction zones. Yup we found em. They were long, loose, and crappy, with some tight corners, wooo hooo. Then it all of a sudden in a short section it gets wet and as slippery as baby poo, then come the pot holes, wet and filled with water, that push me off to the right shoulder at about 50 mph, scrubbing speed as I try as I might to get it back left, it won't go. Out loud I hear myself say, I'm noooot gooooingggg toooo maaaake iiitt. Stand on the right peg, a liiiiittle throttle, and somehow I survive.

Chris somehow sailed through. He had his OSM about 1/2 hour later when this hump "appeared out of nowhere" in the gravel to nearly toss him off the road. "that was a bit sketchy", comes the quip on the radio. I was watching in the mirror at the time and was slowing down to turn around as I didn't think he was going to pull that one out.

We stop at a couple rivers along the way to stretch, chat and enjoy before forging on. We decide to push today and make tomorrow a shorter day. A while later as we pass a dirt road off to my right, I get a glimpse of something. We go back and head down. I think this is a good place for the night.

The lions in action

Maybe the best spot I have ever poached and likely the prettiest stop on the trip.

Later in the evening a Taiwanese fellow appears on a bicycle. Long story short he landed in Anchorage 29 days ago and his on his way to....get this.....you ready.....Argentina.

Ok we are impressed. From there he will fly to Europe and ride home. When asked how long, he did not know. He said that when he arrived in Anchorage he did not speak english. We never would have known. He was surprised when we told him he would have to learn spanish for his trip south of the US border all the way Argentina.

Chris boils water then sends it back to the lake to cool. Pretty smart kid after all.

This is one of those places where one can sit and stare for hours. We did, until it got completely undark around 12:30 and we went to bed.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 01:05 PM
Old 08-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #43
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Great report! Just got back from riding Colorado with my 17 year old son...

Looks like I need to start planing an Alaska trip now.. :)
Yes planning for it is great fun. Start now. The seed of AK is clearly planted already, just use the RR's as fertilizer to make it grow. There is enough BS in all these reports to grow anything.

I have traveled to many parts of the US but strange that I have never spent any/much time in CO. I need to do that. I hope you did a rr of your trip I would love to read that.

Enjoy, and head north, you will never regret it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #44
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,037
Yup.. did a report... nothing compared to yours though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=13574432

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #45
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 316
Digging your report, what a great experience to have with your son.

What day were you on the Cassier? I was on it July 3rd, pretty sure I met that bicyclist as I was coming down the steep loose round gravel covered switchbacks, he was really working to pedal up that hill.
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote