Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #76
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 778
Damn, we are finally back in Alaska! Let's ride. Oh yes as an FYI to those with a 2007 BMW f650GS. If you leave your gps on all night, the battery will be dead. Very dead.

No worries, I have jumper cables. I cobbled these together from some small alligator clips and plugs that I got for some heated gear, or some HD gear some time ago. Both sets of clips are fused and I just plugged them together. I did test before we went so all should be well. But its not.

Bike wont turn over. Cant be that dead... Check the fuse, it is only 7.5 amps?? The other is 15. Replace with a 15, and it cooks that one too. No problem, I can just cut the wires and hard wire it. Something I should have done anyway. But wait, easier than that I will just jump the fuses with some bailing wire I have. Quick and easy. Clip them on and I start a small fire instantly on both bikes. Now I know why I am a Civil Engineer and not a Electrical Engineer. Ok we will cut and splice, or...

Yes a jump start can be done. I explain the concept to Chris. He is not buying it. We give it a go with him pushing, no go. He is really not buying it now. We try again with me pushing, and it fires. They can hear him cheer back in Dawson.

We head out. But where to go besides deep into AK. Life is really no more than a string of choices. We choose TOK.

Some times when days start out weird they continue that way. This would be one of those. Getting gas in TOK an older guy riding a HD is fueling, while smoking a cigarette. Not willing to mind my own business I say, ah, is that cool. He finds a creative way to tell me to F off (and in all reality I should have kept to myself, but I have already almost blown up once.). He says it takes a flame and not a spark to ignite gas. Ok that is why I am a Civil Engineer and not a Demolitions Man. He gets on his bike, with no helmet and rides off. Now who am I to judge, but I really wonder how he lived this long.

Fast Eddys for a big lunch.

Sunny and warm, but I guess it has been raining a lot in TOK over the past few days. They said the same in Chicken. I guess the Seattle boys just bring good weather wherever we go.

The TOK cutoff road is just one more beautiful road to ride. We hit some showers in the pass. Damn they feel good. Cool, wet, it actually felt really refreshing after the heat and dust we have had.

It clears shortly thereafter and once again we are afforded just incredible scenery.

We try to find a place to camp, the Wilderness Campground. Nice wooded place next to a creek. It is 6:30 and both Chris and his bike are tired.

Actually, just between you and me, as his bike went down, the communication cable disconnected and whipped around and paid a visit to the twins.

We find the place, and then play a game of seeing how quickly we can put everything from the bags out on the table, create a huge fire, and then "dude, have you seen my chair?"

Weird day and weird photos...

Apparently the non chocolate variety.

No tent tonight, lets tarp it.

It is a cool night and even cooler without the tent, and the bugs are hungry. When you combine a the mummy bag wrapped tight, a bug net, and eye covers, cus it looks like noon, and what ever someone has spiked out hot chocolate with today, we are a scary sight in under the tarp.

May tomorrow be normal... nah

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 09:58 AM
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #77
Jigo
Westbound

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Now I know why I am a Civil Engineer and not a Electrical Engineer. Ok we will cut and splice, or...
LOL! I did not know that you are a Civil Engineer. I am too...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 AM   #78
CORider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Sleep solution...

Ambien, Ear Plugs = Good night sleep!

When I travel, I aways take along some Ambien as a backup sleep aid.

Excellent RR... Thank you!
CORider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #79
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORider
Ambien, Ear Plugs = Good night sleep!

When I travel, I aways take along some Ambien as a backup sleep aid.

Excellent RR... Thank you!
No problems sleeping at all, it is just remembering to go to bed. The body does not seem to think it should be tired at 1 am when it is still so light. It has been several weeks and still no adjustment.

Yes earplugs are a must. We figured that out early. The eye covers block out the light wonderfully, but the sounds at midnight are the same as the sounds at 6 am! Birds chirping etc etc. So no way we could convince our brains to sleep without the plugs. Earplugs are about as important as tires up here.

No drugs other than the euphoria of the trip required.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #80
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Clear cool crisp cloudless sky. Deafening quiet, the smell of fresh brewed coffee. Grab a seat down by the river and enjoy the never ending movie it provides.

The length of time away, the pace, and the routine bound up in constant change, has all combined to created an drug like calmness. We are not on vacation, we are not going away nor are we on our way back; we are just here. The moment has taken over.

Today we are exposed to the Glen Highway. A marvel of outstanding scenary combined with a fantastic road that mostly winds around, up and down in an effortless manner. It closes up in places and then opens up with another expanse which allows a perfect place to stop and take a break.

Today we will head to Anchorage, maybe grab a hotel, it has been a while. Quite a road to Palmer I must say. We get behind a pickup which is keeping a nice pace through the twisities but slower than I would normally try to rip these up. This gives a great time to enjoy what AK has to offer today.

Anchorage. Holy cow. What happened. It just seemed like minutes ago we were in the bush. Dust in our face and fox and bear watching our every move. Damn this is one BIG city. Crap a 4 lane highway! Traffic! Slow traffic! I only know one place here. Garmin take me to ALASKA LEATHER.

Ya gotta stop here. Barb who runs the place is amazing. Truly. She helps us with everything. Calls all her contacts in Seward, Homer and Whittier to check the weather and conditions. When I mention that I see some oil leaking around my rear drive, she comes outside, wipes her finger in the oil and gives it a sniff. She is not sure if this is rear drive or not and gives me direction to a shop that can help out. Now any woman that will come out and sniff yer oil... well if I wasn't already married...

The other cool thing is that she hired Joe Walsh to come and work for her. Can you believe it. Here he is with his wife a couple years ago on the Eagle tour when he died his hair blond.

And here he is with Barb. Damn!! One heck of a nice guy.

We picked up a pad for Chris who has been eyeballing some sheepskin pads on other bikes. He loves the look. Off to the Motorcycle Shop to check out the Bike. I can't get Rocky Mountain Way out of my head.

This is Keith who stopped everything to take a look and said it was just coming from my Transmission seal that I already know is leaking a bit. No worries. He topped me up, cus that is the kind of guy he is. Good place!

Chris and I chat. Now Anchorage I bet is a cool town, but this is not what we signed up for. It is a big busy city. We don't really want to hole up there for the night.

Then some lady comes out of nowhere and asks us where we are going. Well we don't know, but we are thinking one of the port towns. She mentions if you are going towards Seward take a detour to Hope and do some Class V rapids on the river. River rafting and class V rapids have our attention. But not enough cus she disappears as fast as she came before we could get many details. Like where the hell is Hope.

We check with a guy who works there, he dosn't know about rafting, but if we are going to Seward we have to stop at the Double Musky for the Best Steak in the Country according to the food network. DAMN, Class V rapids and steak

Off to Girdwood we go. Fuel is there as well as ChoirBoy on his stunning R100. Thanks for the Welcome Dude! Sorry we could not talk long it was getting way late, we were gettin tired and steaks were on the mind. But in all reality, I am kickin myself for not taking a minute or two more and chatting. My bad. Nice guy and thanks again for stoppin by and introducing yourself.

Here she is. The double Musky.

No reservations allowed. Packed to the ceiling with people. Groups more than 4 are waiting over an hour and a half. We can be sat at the bar right now.

Pepper Steak and a Fillet. We are stuffed and have to take some with us.

In a food induced coma we find our way down the road to Hope. The highway south is beautiful, and completely different than any other views on this trip. Tall towering mountiains and the salt water of the bay. Hard to keep eyes on the road. But there was traffic to deal with. The detour of 15 miles to Hope is a two lane dream ride!

We find a nice little spot down by a river a bit away from things.

As we are setting up an old guy with a fishing rod comes by and asks us if we have fished here before. Ah no. He pauses and then basically goes on to say, that when the tide comes in, this nice spot will be under water. Thank you, we move.

This is a nice little town. The clouds have come in and we almost have to set the tent up in the rain for the first time. But no, it holds off.

The lions do their job, and do not complain about having to stay outside the fence.

We end the evening in a lovely little bar on open mike night. I sip my beer and wonder if Joe will show up. How we got here today is quite amazing. Tomorrow we will try to hook up for some rafting.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 07:35 AM
Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #81
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Good report thanks. I have spent the last few hours reading everything, keep it coming.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200

Davis53 screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 06:32 PM
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #82
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

No matter how early ya get up, the real fishermen are already on the river.

All those bad things I have said about RV'rs in the past, I take back. John Jay and his wife Anne were wonderful. We spent the morning with them and they took us in for breakfast when it started to drizzle. Hey we are river rafting today, it can rain all it wants

The man broils up a mean bagle!

We shared stories and pics. There were up from Texas and had been on the road for quite a while. they let us use their computer to get a motel in Seward. Thanks guys!!

The rafting companies had to cancel yesterdays trips because the water was too high and fast. They cancelled this mornings as well, but this afternoon, they had 2 spots open. Yahoo!

Ok we looked Dorky in our dry suits.

But I never found out what was really happening here.

Before you can get into a the boats there is a swim test. We had to take a swim 3/4 of the way across the very fast moving river then float down to an eddy and swim in to shore. One person did not make it and they had to go rescue them down river. It was hard to swim in that current and very, very cold. As hard as it was they said this would be the easiest swim we would ever have if we fell out. The offer to let you bag at this point at no charge. A few did.

Not the big stuff, where the boat was completely gone (we cant find those pics ) , but these still bring back some good memories.

The trip was outstanding. Fast and furious is all I can say with class III IV and V rapids on a high and fast river. 6 mile creek in Hope if you get the chance. NOVA was excellent and provide you with a disk of lots of pics when you are done. If you lose the disk you no longer have the pics.

We got back late after the trip and packed up. Said goodbye to this lovely little place.

Too late for a trip up Paxton road ( I think that is the name, or is it Palmer?). Next time. Off to Seward. The highways in South Central Alaska are incredible. Even though this was cloudy and a bit drizzly it was stellar. Let's hope for some sun soon, after all we have been blessed so far, I see no need to change.

This will be our home for the next 3 nights. First hotel since waaaay back in Whitehorse. We plan on doing some fishing, and we were not groovin the idea of smelling like fish and camping.

The Lions were not sure what to do, and we could sense they were getting quite uncomfortable. We decided to put them in the trees and they settled down.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 09:32 AM
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #83
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Light overcast sky greets us this morning as we take care of some business.

We ride and walk around town. This is one beautiful part of the world. We make out way out to Millers' Landing. You get their via a dirt road at the end of town. We get wet as we pass this waterfall.

The sky is clearing nicely and it is really warming up.

We have booked an all day halibut/silver trip tomorrow out of the harbor, but if I were to go back I would book it all out of this family run area. Nice folks, and they know there stuff. We thought long and hard about a kayak trip, but in the end we book an evening silver trip with them for tonight. Tonight, heck it's in less than two hours. We rush back for lunch or is it dinnert, and crap, we need to get the laundry.

Yes it is one very pretty town. Just a few hours out of Anchorage. We go to a recommended Pizza place. Actually we think it is a Greek place that serves Pizza. We are starved, it is about 4 and we haven't eaten since a light bfast.

Here we are parked outside. I was quite surprised at the number of questions and comments we got about the bikes and the ride we were on.

We order a deep dish and ask if it is big enough for two hungry folks; she laughs, yes.

This is what it looks like as we dig in

This is what it looks like when we are done!

Dead serious. This thing weighed at least 12 #. Crazy.

What a night for fishing.

and yes there is a whale out there. But he chose to mostly avoid my shutter. Actually I know they are smart, but it began to creep me out how they knew when I was taking a picture and they would dive like Das Boat.

And oh yes, the fishing was good for the few of us on board.

They do all the work and hand us the fillets in a bag. It is about 10 at night and we take it to Capt. jacks in town. they will cut/pack/freeze it for us and hold it until tomorrows catch comes in before shipping.

Ok, I have a new favorite place.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 10:57 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 06:00 AM   #84
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

YAWN. Up early to head to the boat to go Halibut fishing. Something new for both of us. Weather looks to be cooperating as we peek outside.

[IMG][/IMG]

Let's hope the fish are as well. As I left the driveway back home, way back when, I got two instructions from my wife. Bring back my son, and catch some halibut. I think it was in that order. We will do our best today.

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 03:57 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM   #85
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,621
This report is getting better with each post . Fantastic photography

Keep it coming.
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #86
MV_Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
What a "GR8" report. I've really enjoyed following along with you and your son.

Are you secretly an employee of the Alaska Tourist Board? Your pictures are making us eager for a trip up North.

Can't wait for the next installment. Keep up the good work.
MV_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #87
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

South Central Alaska. What a place. One of the most, or possibly even THE most beautiful part of the state; but I am sure that it is up for debate. For sure, if you take the time to come all the way to AK for the Haul road or the Dempster, make time to spend a day out on the water in AK!

Ok here we go. It is just amazing how many pictures one can take when they are not riding a motorcycle. Lots of fish today, no big lunkers but no worries as we got all the fish we were allowed to catch. And we also did catch and release on 10 others at least! Too fun. Chris caught a lovely 35.5 inch ling cod as well. Too bad the min size is 36 inches. Cool anyway.

So sit back, and I hope you enjoy the day as much as we did. A day to remember for us.

We are told it does not look like this everyday in Seward. We are blessed.

It does take time to get to the fishing hole. I am glad it was really calm. Not that we get seasick, just a lot nicer.

Ok maybe 25 lbs is small by big halibut standards, but damn with the fast current we were in, this was work baby!

But I will show up for work every day if I have too.

Damn global warming is reaching far far north it seams.

It was a hell of a day. we got back about 12 hours or so after we began. We took the catch to Capt Jacks and shipped about 60 pounds of the good stuff back to Ms. Adventure. Mission 1 accomplished.

We hop on the bikes and take the quick few minute drive back to the motel. Feels good to ride again, even for a short distance. Time to get back on these bikes. This is a ride report, not a fishing report

Chris and the TV have an interesting and close relationship. Even when sleeping, he has full access to the romote. Actually, I think it is usually under the pillow. He must have been tired!

GR8ADV screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 09:01 PM
Old 08-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #88
Fire44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Thank you for sharing your trip with us. As I sit here and read your report, I look over at my 11 year old son and think how great it would be to do a trip like this. I have 6 or 7 years to convince my wife that this would be a good trip for me and my son.

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #89
GR8ADV OP
Pow right in the kisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire44
I have 6 or 7 years to convince my wife that this would be a good trip for me and my son.
To get it into terms that both you and your wife can understand, you actually have 6 or 7 years to save up for a really nice diamond.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #90
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Eek Alaska Censoring needed

How did this RR get out of state?
This should have been censored, clipped, cut and blocked!
Now other people will want to come to the Last Frontier.
Or is it the Vast Frontier? I can never remember...

I will have to send this link to those who ask:
"Why do you live in ALASKA?"

Great report sir!

BTW, mama bear and baby bear tore our back door off to get into the trash can last week when we were down at the Russian River camping. Now I will have to use a metal door there too since they now know to come back.

BTW2, Friday morning a Lynx crossed the street in front of me on the way to work. I was going to work that is, I don't know where the Lynx was going. Probably checking the local house cats out. I haven't seen a Porcupine this summer though. Yet. Moose are always eating our trees and the rabbit population is exploding this summer which the wolves and coyotes certainly appreciate.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote