Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Wicked How to wrap your F800GS in Carbon Fiber......

I am somewhat new to this forum, Just got my F800GS about a year ago. I have been a regular poster on Thumpertalk, where I have an extended series of composite threads. Now with the 8GS being a year old.....It`s time . There are many myths......crazy beliefs....etc.... about composite making, and although some are true......Most are overstated.... and can be overcome with some skill....study, and observations. First I want to show a few things of what can be accomplished with simple tools.....( Popsicle sticks....empty beer cans....etc...) Although not a parallel twin...... I though I`d post a few pic`s just this one time, so you can see what can be achieved.......

All the pieces are made in my garage, and as you can see.....some are more peculiar than others. But as this thread will illustrate....... Composite fabricating is not that hard......It just take patience, and time to spare. You will be amazed of how much of the cost is labor. So I have made it my goal to educate, and inform as much as possible, to promote the subject, so that you can try it yourself. There are much to be learned about composite making...... So I will start with one of the simplest ways to make a piece.....explain as I go along......and in the next 6-12 months....will endeavor into more complex projects....such as a honeycomb Carbon Fiber/Kevlar skid plate. There are two main groups of resin to choose from, and they both have their pluses and minuses. Rather than diving into the deep right now......I`l state that polyester is cheaper.....less temperamental.....and stiffer....but less flexible, and will crack easier.
Epoxy is more expensive......more temperamental.......but stronger and more flexible. So to begin with I had some of my favorite Silmar 249 polyester left from USComposites left....and since this is a low strength panel to fab..... I chose that. Please note that when replicating plastics.... The polyester resin can raise the plastic surface a little....So if you are planning on re-using the plastic..... Perhaps epoxy is of a better choice. In my case....Once the CF piece is done.... The plastic will be shellved. If I were going to make a structural piece....I`d go the Pox way. You gather the cloth...I used twill 5.7 oz.....cups to mix the resin in....wax......and parafilm...( mold release spray)
Then Grapped the piece to be replicated...........

So not to run up against total words in a thread.......this will continue below.......

ebrabaek screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 12:10 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek...
Is that your foot? I hope it's your foot.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is the simplest way to replicate a piece...... You prep it....lay a few layers of composite over it....let dry....and you now have a copy.....although 1-2mm larger....and lots of sanding and buffeting....nevertheless.....a simple copy. At a later stage....I will cast a mold....and replicate from that....but for now.....Let`s keep it simple.

Then you remove the extra plastic.......

Wax it 5 times with a high carnuba containing wax.....and spray it with two layers of parafilm, for maximum release.....Cover the 4 screw holes with electrical tape........

Then after it has dried..... Brush on one layer of resin........

I believe that simple is good. You can set up a shop to deal with complex mold making...like positive pressure, and vacuum formed layups....but.... I tend to focus on what is simple, and ready`ly available. When you lay up composites it will tend to not make sharp angles......Unless you use a vacuum or two sided mold to make it conform. As long as this is not a structural piece.....I am going to make a shortcut. After the first layer of resin is applied....wait until it is tacky....then CAREFYLLY lay up the first layer of cloth.......It works like flypaper...so be carefull. Then push the fabric...CAREFULLY down in the 4 screw holes with a round object.... It will be held in place. After first cloth is layed.......

Wait 10 minutes....then brush on another layer of resin.......

Repeat with the second layer of cloth......Wait till the resin is tacky, and repeat the procedure.......

Then a clear layer of resin........

And.... If you are using a resin that does not contain finishing/surface wax...... Then you need to apply one last layer of resin with the wax mixed in. That will float to the top and starve the oxygen out of the resin, and it will dry to a hard finish.....but nee to be sanded of....

This is now in the garage.....waiting to harden......Until then......

Erling
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I was thinking the same thing....

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,225
Eek

Quote:
Is that your foot? God I hope it's your foot.
LMAO!

Good stuff here. Ive been looking for a new winter hobby.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
......Yerppers left foot indeed. Over the years of doing this.... I have had the funniest objects appear in the pictures.... Must be the trolls.....

Erling
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 803
Dayummm . I bet you can stomp on that cover and it wont even budge.....Nice work.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
to each their own but i don't care much for it on the klr. It actually pains me to see it on a beemer.

Eitherway, seems like you do good work (not that I have a frame of reference) but not my bag at all.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant
to each their own but i don't care much for it on the klr. It actually pains me to see it on a beemer.

Eitherway, seems like you do good work (not that I have a frame of reference) but not my bag at all.
That`s all good. Taste is very individual. As I progress with more threads in the CF area..... You will see that it is not the CF look that I will promote.....But the fabricating part. You have to like this stuff to leave it unpainted..... I fully agree on that. But....It can be painted......
The "KLR" is actually a 2006 Suzuki DRZ-470.....

Erling
Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor
Dayummm . I bet you can stomp on that cover and it wont even budge.....Nice work.
Yeppers....... It will house a few switches....and plugs.......and then some....

Erling
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soooooooo... It has dried, and was removed from the mold........

Then after light sanding in the inside.....another layer of cf was added on the inside. Two is by far fine for this application....but this particular piece will house a few switches....plugs....etc.....So I gave it one more layer....

Then after harding......The rough cut in was done.....and rough sanding with 80 grit.....and now it is starting to take shape......

Look ...no feet.......... I ran out of polyester.....but have an ample supply of epoxy. These resins are normally not to be mixed, since poly will not bond to pox....but pox will bond to poly..... Anyway....these to types that I`m using will be fine together. So don`t mind that......but I thought I`d mention it so when I apply the final coat tomorrow..... You will know.
Dinner time......see ya tomorrow......

Erling

And .....ehhh...... so far cost is around US$ 40........Labor....2 hrs so far......
Old 07-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
Easier Method

While it looks really great there is a much easier way. 3M makes a product called Di-Noc and it comes in over 400 designs. One being Carbon Fiber. It's basically like applying film or wallpaper...peel and stick. The benefit of 3M is it can be heat shrunk to conform to curves and angles.

Here is a link to one company that sells the stuff and lots of Pixs.

http://club4g.org/board/vendor-forum...-shipping.html

I know of this product because I am an Authorized 3M Window Film Dealer.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by radtrinidad
Good stuff... but please... no more ....... it distracts from the yumminess of your thread! Please...
Yumminess? WTF? You are not in the Better Homes and Gardens cook book forums any longer.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8 Pilot
While it looks really great there is a much easier way. 3M makes a product called Di-Noc and it comes in over 400 designs. One being Carbon Fiber. It's basically like applying film or wallpaper...peel and stick. The benefit of 3M is it can be heat shrunk to conform to curves and angles.

Here is a link to one company that sells the stuff and lots of Pixs.

http://club4g.org/board/vendor-forum...-shipping.html

I know of this product because I am an Authorized 3M Window Film Dealer.
Nice......well....If your in it for the look. Whilst Carbon Fiber look cool...well to me it does..... I want to promote the fabrication, not a faux overlay. But to the ones that do......3M might suffice.

Erling
Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked Starting to look like something good.....

So today is the day I enjoy the most in fabbing......The fitting part. It is easy to loose track early in the project......Is it gonna fit.....Break....etc.... Then when the fitting comes along....it sort of all begins to reward the effort, and faith is restored..........Don`t kid yourself. I have been doing this many years......But still .....mistakes can happen, and when you make an overlay....rather than a mold...then a print...... The end piece is a mm or two bigger.... So it`s always fun.......
Started by putting it in place.......Marking the tabs to be made......Drilled the 4 holes..... It fit`s......Yahooooooooo.......

Then for you dremmel masters.......This is where you get a swing......enlarging this.......

To this.......

Then it`s simply a matter of cutting.....filing.....sanding....drilling.....And then it will start to look like something sweating over........Sanded with 220....cleaned and ready for 2 layers of resin......to fill the small imperfections.......

And after 2 layers of....in this case....epoxy.......

It will dry for the rest of the day........And tomorrow....finishing sanding....then a layer of clear laquer with uv inhibitor....... I`m off to the espresso machine.......Until then........

Erling

1.5 hrs today..... total of 3.5 hrs.......