User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Question Oxford Heated Grips remove/reinstall

Have have Oxford Heated Grips installed on my handlebars.
They work great, and I recommend this product highly, however:

I want to change my handlebars.....

So, does anybody out there know how to remove and reinstall the oxford heated grips? ... Is it even possible?
How do I remove the glue (I'm not sure what kind it was, it came with the grips)?

I guess the worse-case scenario is I have to suck it up and buy new heated grips for the new bars.

If that happens: Anybody out there want to buy a pair of Renthal Fat Bars RC Enduro bend with Oxford heated grips pre-installed? LOL

Thanks in advance for any advise.
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Sometimes, spraying wd40 or simular under the grips, between the grips and handlebar, can make it a lot easier.
JensEskildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
One of the recommended ways to do it is to get them very hot, and then using a towel or gloves to protect your hands slowly try to twist them, depending on what adhesive you used to mount them, they should come loose. I've removed mine this way when I bent my handlebars and had to replace them.
Tony
Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
I can tell you 10 things that don't work, cause I tried 9 of them and the 10th destroyed the grips.

I guess my adhesive (golf grip tape) was probably not the best stuff to use, if being able to remove them easily was a possible outcome. The good is, tho, that they didn't budge for the 3 years I had them on.

Live and learn.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
If you used the cement that came with them they are not coming off easily, and possibly not at all intact.

First thing I would try is to hook them up to a 12v power supply and leave them on for a while. I see you're in CA, do this during daylight so the sun can help with the heating process.

Remove the clutch and brake levers so you have room to work. Grab a long but thin flat head screwdriver. See if you can get it under the grips at all, oxford grips are not as flexible as others so this may prove difficult. If you can manage to just get the screwdriver in at least half way to 3\4 in then could yourself lucky. Pry a little bit just to get the grip flexible, then quickly remove the screw driver, shove in the little red straw from a cna of WD40 and spray inside, a lot.

WD 40 combined with the heat should allow it to spread to all the nooks and crannies, hopefully you will be able to twist the grip off at this point.

Do the left side first. Be extra careful with the right side. You might want to find a used throttle tube on ebay and order it in advance just in case.

Next time DO NOT USE THAT CEMENT and instead use the extra hold hairspray.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Tenere_PDX
n00b

Oddometer: 2
So - did it work?

I am in the same boat. My brother fell over and twisted my bars. I am going to try all of these suggestions today?
Tenere_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
As I remember, the Oxford glue is basically Superglue or CY. Acetone will break down CY, as will even acetone fumes. I remember ungluing tires from RC cars that are glued on with CY. If you left them overnight in a sealed container with a bit of acetone in the bottom, the fumes would be enough to break the CY bond. Never tried it with grips though, I'd test on a small place first as acetone will melt some plastic,
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote