ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
mike-s OP
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Return of the Aldi GPS

Looks like Aldi are bringing back the bike gear again on August 5th, including the Go Cruise GPS, which now integrates bluetooth and will be going for $199.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS Specs
  • 3.5" touch LCD screen
  • Latest Whereis mapping
  • Bracket hardwired to motorbike
  • Bluetooth headset function
  • Turn by voice operation (spoken street names)
  • Includes Bluetooth headset, mounting bracket, USB cable and storage pouch
I have one of the older versions and am a little undecided, i probably won't get it though.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Daleah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Aldi Australia?

I wonder if they are going to do this in the US? I'll have to check.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #3
GeeBeeUU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I bought one of these ALDI Go Cruise waterproof GPS units last Thurs. after reading many tech reviews.
It worked right out of the box.
but is recommended to charge for 12+hrs before use.
Charges via USB.
The Headset is bluetooth and has a little fuzz, but not to the extent that I would complain about it. I Read that the FM headsets that came out with the previous models were useless bc of static.

Took it for a quick spin around the block and worked well.

Went to Sydney for the weekend (in mates car as we were running city to Surf, and not fancy cold legs on our return journey), and it worked well in the car with its 4hr battery life.
I left the helmet receiver on all weekend and still had a little battery left in it after 40hrs...but this was without it receiving voice commands in a gr8 Aussie accent...

Am yet to mount it to the GS. When I do I shall make up my own bracket behind the screen screws, so its right up there in my line of sight and not have to look down to the handle bar/ cross bar mount it comes with.
SO am yet to test the WhereIs maps on the local dirt...
Am yet to load alternate maps onto it via the SD card but this is the plan.
Anyone have any experience in loading TomTom or other maps onto one of these units??
Its a hands up clap from me so far ...but time will tell
GeeBeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
GeeBeeUU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

I just bought an ALDI waterproof GPS for $199.
I bought one of these ALDI Go Cruise waterproof GPS units last Thurs. after reading many tech reviews on previous models.
Charges via USB.
The Headset is bluetooth and has a little fuzz, but not to the extent that I would complain about it. I Read that the FM headsets that came out with the previous models were useless bc of static.

Went to Sydney for the weekend (in mates car as we were running city to Surf, and not fancy cold legs on our return journey), and it worked well in the car with its 4hr battery life.
I left the helmet receiver on all weekend and still had a little battery left in it after 40hrs...but this was without it receiving voice commands in a gr8 Aussie accent...

Am yet to mount it to the GS. When I do I shall make up my own bracket behind the screen screws, so its right up there in my line of sight and not have to look down to the handle bar/ cross bar mount it comes with.
Anyone have any experience in loading TomTom or other maps onto one of these units??

The websites http://www.austech.info/ and Whirlpool were excellent in helping me make my decison.
GeeBeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069
GeeBee

GPSpasion is the site you need for hacking cracking and other such geeky things. Keep us posted. Might pick one up myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBeeUU
I just bought an ALDI waterproof GPS for $199.
I bought one of these ALDI Go Cruise waterproof GPS units last Thurs. after reading many tech reviews on previous models.
Charges via USB.

The websites http://www.austech.info/ and Whirlpool were excellent in helping me make my decison.

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I got one as well and hacked it to instal OziExplorer on it .

Works well but you can only run either ozi or Amigo not both like my PDA does but at least it is bike powered and should give me less problems due to power & vibrations.

Also the undo clip at the top broke in the first 5 mins so the only lock is the one at the back which seems to be fine like that.

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote