User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #91
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
WR isn't a Goldwing Shocker!

I know you don't want to appear like a WR-fanboy but using received-wisdom won't endear you to either camp :)

The big myth is this "3rd world mechanic bloke" with a stock of old DR parts but sadly nothing on his shelf for WRs. The 3rd world aren't riding the big bikes of the 1st, they're quite happy riding small cc stuff until they can afford a truck or something with more status. You usually can't get these parts on the ground so it's often quicker to DHL them in from home anyway (Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Congo - DHL worked fine when I needed them).

Can I just ask something:
Anti-tip switch : Present on almost all new bikes. What's the problem again?
Rear subframe : pound for pound this is stronger than the DRZs for example, and steel not Al/plastic.
Digital dash: What? Digital? Dash? Must be black magic...
No place for a tankbag: Er? Where - not on the tank then...where, it should go?
Safari: Doesn't fuel weigh anything if you put it in a DR?

Seriously, unlike the post earlier about not trusting a revvy bike on a RTW because: it revs like it's supposed to, I'm not having a go. I'd just prefer it if people challenge rather than perpetuate myths.
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #92
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Agree..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by edteamslr
I know you don't want to appear like a WR-fanboy but using received-wisdom won't endear you to either camp :)

The big myth is this "3rd world mechanic bloke" with a stock of old DR parts but sadly nothing on his shelf for WRs. The 3rd world aren't riding the big bikes of the 1st, they're quite happy riding small cc stuff until they can afford a truck or something with more status. You usually can't get these parts on the ground so it's often quicker to DHL them in from home anyway (Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Congo - DHL worked fine when I needed them).

Rear subframe : pound for pound this is stronger than the DRZs for example, and steel not Al/plastic.

Seriously, unlike the post earlier about not trusting a revvy bike on a RTW because: it revs like it's supposed to, I'm not having a go. I'd just prefer it if people challenge rather than perpetuate myths.
Well said and I agree! I'll put my WR up against this type of trip all day long.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #93
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,150
Wrr

For sake of discussion (since they have made the choice of the DR)

Quote:
The big myth is this "3rd world mechanic bloke" with a stock of old DR parts but sadly nothing on his shelf for WRs."

Never said they had a stock of parts just said they could work on it. Carbs are well known and common as are the fuel system supporting it. Not so for FI found on the WRR. If your WRR stops on the side of the road just how would you go about checking for fuel flow? How would you do it on the DR? Water pump?

"You usually can't get these parts on the ground so it's often quicker to DHL them in from home anyway (Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Congo - DHL worked fine when I needed them)."

OK I'll buy that what is the current wait for a fuel pump? Options?

"Can I just ask something:
Anti-tip switch : Present on almost all new bikes. What's the problem again?"

Just a pain when it tips--normally turn it on\off and it resets on the WRR. Didn't have one on my DR, maybe the new ones have it. I don't like kickstand interlocks or clutch interlocks but most all now have these too.

"Rear subframe : pound for pound this is stronger than the DRZs for example, and steel not Al/plastic."

I guess that is why it is rated by the factory at 6.6lbs total load.

"Digital dash: What? Digital? Dash? Must be black magic..."

Me being a stick in the mud--I hate digital displays on motorcycles.

"No place for a tankbag: Er? Where - not on the tank then...where, it should go?"

Small tank--not sufficient for mag tank bags, strap on kind of fit with the size and slope of the tank--none I have found are satisfactory.

"Safari: Doesn't fuel weigh anything if you put it in a DR?"

WRR advocates are pitching the light weight etc. DR's range with stock tank is adequate--not so for the WRR.

"Seriously, unlike the post earlier about not trusting a revvy bike on a RTW because: it revs like it's supposed to, I'm not having a go. I'd just prefer it if people challenge rather than perpetuate myths.
No myths here--personal experience with both bikes--not third world but plenty of long distance dirt riding.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #94
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
"Rear subframe : pound for pound this is stronger than the DRZs for example, and steel not Al/plastic."

I guess that is why it is rated by the factory at 6.6lbs total load.
The WRR has a maximum load of 408 lbs according to the service manual. The subframe is built to carry a passenger.

On the Safari tank . . . I didn't weigh it, but I'm not too sure the Safari tank weighs much (if any) more than the stock steel tank and radiator shrouds that come off in the switch. I don't even notice mine and I do plenty of technical single track.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #95
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Thumb

No Dr650 parts in the RED zone of Latin America

I saw a lot of people talk about DR650 parts and that they are easy to get all over the world. And it's true, you can, but note that in Latin America besides Venezuela, you will NOT find any DR650 parts in stock and shipping times could be up to some 6 weeks. You are better off ordering from a dealer in the USA and have it shipped to you by UPS (3 days would be the fastest I believe). Just that you are prepared. Also, parts of Africa don't have parts in stock, South Africa seems to have it but I doubt it about Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya.

DR's are great, I love mine . Are you going to cross Querètaro too when you drive trough Mexico?
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come

puntoMX screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 01:55 PM
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #96
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by puntoMX
No Dr650 parts in the RED zone of Latin America

I saw a lot of people talk about DR650 parts and that they are easy to get all over the world. And it's true, you can, but note that in Latin America besides Venezuela, you will NOT find any DR650 parts in stock and shipping times could be up to some 6 weeks. You are better off ordering from a dealer in the USA and have it shipped to you by UPS (3 days would be the fastest I believe). Just that you are prepared. Also, parts of Africa don't have parts in stock, South Africa seems to have it but I doubt it about Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya.

DR's are great, I love mine . Are you going to cross Querètaro too when you drive trough Mexico?
!Hola Amigo!
?Did you know La Policia in Ecuador (Quito) use the DR650 as their Police bike?? Must be parts there? Maybe Suzuki dealers even sell non Police DR's?

But in most places you are right. You have to wait. Almost no one, even Suzuki dealers, are going to have many DR specific parts. But sometimes other parts from other Suzuki's can work on DR! (like the Suzuki Freewind)

Faster to have a friend from home send you the parts via DHL or other shipper. Dirty them up, send them as "used parts" ... but NOT in Argentina. Importation of used parts not allowed.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #97
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
The big myth is this "3rd world mechanic bloke" with a stock of old DR parts but sadly nothing on his shelf for WRs.
Too true, not likely you'd find parts for either.

Quote:
The 3rd world aren't riding the big bikes of the 1st, they're quite happy riding small cc stuff until they can afford a truck or something with more status. You usually can't get these parts on the ground so it's often quicker to DHL them in from home anyway (Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Congo - DHL worked fine when I needed them).
Spot on. Anyone with money gets a car or truck. Only rich guys ride nice large CC bikes. (see various BMW clubs throughout Latin America ... all rich guys trained at School of the Americas or one of the elite plutocracy) )

Quote:

True, most modern bike have Tip Over switch. These occasionally go wrong, like on my Honda VFR. Vstrom one never left me stranded. Sometimes they don't re-set or get stuck. On an off road bike ... I'd remove it from the system, should be possible?

Since when is the DRZ the Gold Standard for strong rear sub frames?
The DR650 sub frame is ten times stronger ... and heavier too. (I owned a DRZ for three years) I've yet to see a WR-R go round the world fully loaded but would
imagine with too much weight that scrawny sub frame is gonna crack. I've seen so many sub frames break on Baja rides. The constant wash board at high speed
really takes its toll.

Serious long term vibration and water will likely kill the Digital dash. No big deal. Most take off the DR mechanical one to save weight, use a Vapor. Saves weight, space.

I can't take a tank bag on my DR with the IMS tank. So same same there.

The Safari for the DR is like 8 US gallons. Crazy! I have no idea how much the WR-R one holds. Seems to me on a bike getting 70 MPG you'd only need maybe 4 US gallons max? That's about 280 miles.

My DR only goes about 220 miles, getting between 47 to 50 mpg.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #98
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
much better

There...that wasn't so hard. Spirited discussion backed up with REAL experience. Just how ADV should be...

I like the DR more and more and I haven't ridden one yet. Sounds too easy though so I'll probably stick with me WR
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #99
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious
Yes - plenty of rack options for the DR, some even use Pelicans. I wouldn't recommend a top case if you're going to do anything rougher than pavement. They tend to keep the weight too high, too far back, and tend to strain the mounts on rough surfaces -- or at least they seem take much more agitation than the lower and more forward mounted side cases. I've seen many top cases come off. I think the best option is to keep the soft stuff (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) in a tough water-proof duffel and put that on the tail section, back of the seat, or across the side panniers.

Save your money and get soft luggage. Easier to pack and take with you off the bike.

10x better if a crash.

Hard luggage is for the Goldwing crowd.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #100
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
!Hola Amigo!
?Did you know La Policia in Ecuador (Quito) use the DR650 as their Police bike?? Must be parts there? Maybe Suzuki dealers even sell non Police DR's?
I see, I didn't know that, but they could have been a special order. I don't see them on the webpage.

Quote:
But in most places you are right. You have to wait. Almost no one, even Suzuki dealers, are going to have many DR specific parts. But sometimes other parts from other Suzuki's can work on DR! (like the Suzuki Freewind)
At most places they only have the Vstrom, no idea what would fit from that.

Quote:
Faster to have a friend from home send you the parts via DHL or other shipper. Dirty them up, send them as "used parts" ... but NOT in Argentina. Importation of used parts not allowed.
Strange laws, same as for Mexico; you can't import bicycle parts... yeah, wtf?
[Mods done] 1 1/8" handlebar - KLR650 Shock on DR650s - ZX-10R directionals on DR650s - RMZ450 muffler on DR650s - Acerbis Mollsoft taillight - Trailtech Vapor – Twin Air - Metzeler Tourance - Tusk sealsavers - more to come
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #101
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Woah! Suggestion time...

Thanks for all the responses people! This thread took has taken root!

Now, seeing as we have the bikes, and it's been decided that we are riding DR650's around the world, what are your suggested modifications to the DR650's?

I am looking for info concerning accessories and modifications that would be effective towards our goal of traveling the world. Feel free to voice your opinions, suggestions, and personal experiences with gear that you have used for the specific purpose of living and traveling abroad, extended motorcycle traveling, or other pertinent situations.

Our group efforts consist of the following accessories and modifications:

1) 4.9gl (or larger) aftermarket tank. IMS or Safari come to mind.
2) Aftermarket Seat. (Corbin, Sargent, etc.)
3) Bash plate. (Happy Trails, Moose etc.)
4) Hand guards. (Acerbis, Barkbusters, etc)
5) Rear rack. (OEM Suzuki, BBQ Rack, etc)
6) Rear case? or large duffel? (Ortlieb, Wolfman, Kriega, etc)
7) Handle Bar risers? Lowered Foot Pegs? Lowering link? (rider depending)
8) Fender Bag (toolkit? accessories? etc)
9) Tank Bag? (Wolfman? Kriega? Ortlieb?)
10) Upgraded shock? (Which kind?)
11) Air box mods? (Open it up? what to do?)
12) Lighting mods? (HID? LED?)
13) Tire choice? (Trail, Enduro, Street oriented?)
14) Gear? Jacket, Pants, Boots, Gloves? (Aerostitch? Klim?)
15) Kill switch removal

What are we missing? What is ESSENTIAL? What is non-essential but nice to have? What do w NOT need?

--Alex

bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #102
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,503
I know I've already posted this link, but take the time to read through it. Ricky is a good friend of mine and one of the most well traveled people I know. Look at what worked for him and what problems he ran into for a good place to start. I've learned a lot from him about packing for the long haul.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460743
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #103
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
I have a WR and I have ridden the other bikes that you are looking at. I think that the DR is the weapon of choice, cheap, simple, reliable and plenty of aftermarket support to turn it into a RTW bike. I met an English guy a couple months ago who is riding around the world and he is riding a DR. Great bike.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #104
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,150
MODs

Well at least one WRR rider agrees with me
Anyway, the DR brake lever will fold like a wet noodle if you go down in mud or snow on the right side--it can be bent back but it is not the same after the bend--either be prepared with a spare or put a brake snake on it or reinforce it.
The oil filter cover is subject to rock puncture carry a spare and a small amount of oil to refill.
You can get a clutch cover reinforcer that will help or preclude the brake pedal puncturing the clutch cover--they go on with silicon--google it should find one--I would do that mod.
Handle bars are like all stock bars--easily tweaked.
Lowering links work and are readily available--get the shortened kickstand
OEM rack works well for smaller loads
Handle bar mount windscreen is nice--worked well for me (National Cycle)
Hand guards would be a must for me--along with spare levers
set of bike size jumper cables

Hope your planning goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101
Thanks for all the responses people! This thread took has taken root!

Now, seeing as we have the bikes, and it's been decided that we are riding DR650's around the world, what are your suggested modifications to the DR650's?

I am looking for info concerning accessories and modifications that would be effective towards our goal of traveling the world. Feel free to voice your opinions, suggestions, and personal experiences with gear that you have used for the specific purpose of living and traveling abroad, extended motorcycle traveling, or other pertinent situations.

Our group efforts consist of the following accessories and modifications:

1) 4.9gl (or larger) aftermarket tank. IMS or Safari come to mind.
2) Aftermarket Seat. (Corbin, Sargent, etc.)
3) Bash plate. (Happy Trails, Moose etc.)
4) Hand guards. (Acerbis, Barkbusters, etc)
5) Rear rack. (OEM Suzuki, BBQ Rack, etc)
6) Rear case? or large duffel? (Ortlieb, Wolfman, Kriega, etc)
7) Handle Bar risers? Lowered Foot Pegs? Lowering link? (rider depending)
8) Fender Bag (toolkit? accessories? etc)
9) Tank Bag? (Wolfman? Kriega? Ortlieb?)
10) Upgraded shock? (Which kind?)
11) Air box mods? (Open it up? what to do?)
12) Lighting mods? (HID? LED?)
13) Tire choice? (Trail, Enduro, Street oriented?)
14) Gear? Jacket, Pants, Boots, Gloves? (Aerostitch? Klim?)
15) Kill switch removal

What are we missing? What is ESSENTIAL? What is non-essential but nice to have? What do w NOT need?

--Alex

Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #105
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
By the end of the 90's .... just about ALL these guys had unloaded the XR-L's. This bike came and went and Honda never lifted a finger to update it.
Excellent point.

I've got an XR650L. It's going to be up for sale before very long. It's a great bike for local dirt road exploration, but after riding it 3500 miles over the Trans-Labrador Highway and through Newfoundland, I would never take it on a long trip again.

Some of its problems:
* At highway speeds the motor feels like it's about to grenade.
* CDI boxes are a known issue that I've experienced myself. I carried a spare with me on the Trans-Lab trip and luckily didn't need it (mine had already crapped out on me prior to the trip, so I guess I'd paid my dues).
* I always thought I got lucky by getting one of the few XRLs that doesn't burn oil, but I was proven overly optimistic on the Trans-Lab trip when the bike consumed about two quarts over the course of the trip. Basically, if you sustain speeds over 60 for any length of time, you'll probably burn oil.
* Corollary: The XRL really should have come with an oil cooler. It's known to overheat, especially when sustaining highway speeds.
* Gas mileage sucks. Best I've ever gotten is about 45mpg, taking it easy on paved country roads. Figure an average of about 40mpg, 35 if you're pushing hard.
* There's no cush drive on the rear wheel, so chains don't last long. Even high-quality chains seem to be worn out after less than 10,000 miles.
* The bike comes from the factory jetted dangerously lean. If buying new or used from someone who's left it stock, it's mandatory to do Dave's Mods (or similar uncorking).
* Plenty of people report needing to rebuild at least the top end of the motor after 30-35k miles.
* Despite all of these issues, the bike is woefully underpowered, even after uncorking.
* Subframe is flimsy.
* Seating position is compact. Handlebars need to be raised, and chances are your legs will be cramped (I'm 6'4" so fit the bike similarly to how you would). Stock footpegs SUCK and need replacing with wide pegs.
* Stock seat sucks, although a Renazco seat will make the bike much more comfortable.
* Bike is very top-heavy at low speeds, although it handles well at higher speeds.
* Valve adjustments are every 4000 miles (although they're mercifully easy due to screw/locknut adjusters). Oil changes are every 1000 miles with dino oil/hard running, or every 2000 miles with easier running and synthetic oil.
* Bike is sensitive to the gas being used. For example, mine runs noticeably smoother on non-ethanol gas than the ethanol-blended stuff being sold in most of the US. Also, if the bike has been sitting for several days with gas in the carb bowl, it can be temperamental to start (another known issue). It's recommended to run your carb bowl dry if the bike is going to be sitting for more than a couple of days.

Bottom line is, I would not buy another XR650L. I would go for a DR650 or very possibly look for a low-mileage Yamaha XT600 -- or more likely, I'd just get a Husqvarna TE610.

So rest assured that you made the right decision with the DR650.

As for mods, the first and foremost thing I'd suggest is seats. Not Corbin, not Sargent, but Renazco. Best investment you'll ever make in the bike.

You might also want to look at improving the suspension.

I agree that on these bikes, soft luggage is probably the best bet. And as for lighting mods, I would just get a set of the Denali LED lights from Twisted Throttle and be done with it. In fact, take a look at how they set up MotoAdventureGal's DR650 for her trip through South America. That should give you a lot of good ideas. You can find her ride report here on ADVrider.

Most of all, best of luck, and have a great time!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote