User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,515
HNBAS Tour 2010 9-25 October

I'm lucky enough to talk the boss into letting me ride Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed (HNBAS) on a business trip every now and again. So, a few months ago there was talk of sending me to a conference in Tucson in October. Immediately I started plotting, I mean wondering if I could wrangle another moto trip like I did in 2008.

I got the green light last month, did some planning and hit the road! I made plans to camp most of the way out to Tucson and take some nice backroads thru AR, OK, NM and AZ. I had 9 days to get out there, 4 day conference and then 4 days back to Savannah.

I ended up riding nearly 5400 miles in 10 states with 59 miles of washed out road (!). It was a great trip.

Here's HNBAS all packed up and ready to go!

A "normal" person would probably just fly out, or worse, ride the most direct route from Savannah to Tucson. I took a direct route thru Mississippi and into Arkansas.

dolomoto screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 11:36 AM
dolomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

I've camped quite a few times at the Navy Lakes campground at Mid-South Naval Support Activity (NSA) in Millington, TN (near Memphis). It's always nearly deserted and I usually have the place to myself. I'd surely like to pay, but the camp host is usually MIA and there's no drop box for payments. It's got a laundry and bathroom with hot showers and plenty of room.

I make a small footprint when camping...even when I've got lots of room.

Since I was in the area, I ate dinner at Gus's Fried Chicken in Mason, TN. It was great as always!

Gus just serves Fried Chicken, Wings and side dishes.

The decor is sparse, but hey, there's at least there's a jukebox.

The next morning was bright and the weather forecast looked great. My mantra:

Looking at the previous night's attempt at fire, I see my Fire making Fu was not so good..

This trip was my first with my Moka Express. It worked out well the whole trip.

Unscrew it, fill the bottom container with water...

Add some quality ground espresso beans to the metal filter (be sure to wipe the rim to get a good seal)...

Put it on some heat....

After a minute or two, the espresso fills the top vessel and even has the crema!

I usually trip to be careful where I camp (watching our for critter holes, fire ant mounds, toxic plants, etc.). This place is absolutely engulfed in Poison Oak around the periphery of the campground...

I didn't do too much damage to my beer stash (the Bud Light box in previous photos was not mine).

All loaded up and ready to head for the Ozarks!

dolomoto screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 10:36 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Hitting the road from Memphis, I rode I-40 (huge Yawn) to Conway and then rode up to Clinton to ride Rt 16. This is always a good sign:

The view from many sections of Rt16 was as good as I remembered. I stopped for photos or just to gawk, no since trying to ride and sightsee at the same time.

They do not have roads like this in southeast GA...

I made my way to Withrow Springs State Park. It was a nice day of riding. There's no shortage of campgrounds in this part of Arkansas, but I did get the last spot at this one.

Withrow Springs SP is in a dry county, but I came prepared!

Dinner was a one pot classic: wild mushroom risotto and a can of chicken.

I usually go light on breakfast as I don't want a bunch of cleanup when I'm trying to get on the road...so it's just the basics:

Then it was off the southwest MO and then into OK..

dolomoto screwed with this post 10-25-2010 at 10:44 AM
Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
dolomoto OP
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Out of Eureka Springs, AR I rode rt23 north into MO and then 86 to 112 to 37 to 90 and then into OK.

Some of the MO roads were straight..

And some were curvy...

I rode into OK past Lake Spavinaw (awesome area!) and stopped in Jay, OK for some fantastic chicken fried steak.

Then it was onto Rt66 towards OKC.

I was cruising down Old Rt 66 just out of Warwick, OK when out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of the recently opened Seaba Station moto museum.

They have a nice collection. Lots of Triumphs and other Euro marques and very few HD's

The first Triumph model.

Mostly original Pope board tracker. I can hardly believe the rider went over 100mph on that. Wow!

An old Indian sat out front...it was a nice juxtaposition between the two bikes.

And if you're looking for that brand new, in-the-crate 79 Triumph...

They don't even charge admission! I think an OKC area Kawasaki dealer owns most of the bikes and wanted to display them. The fella working there does most of the work and there are about twice as many bikes waiting to go in the museum. Nicely done!

It was a nice day to ride Old Rt 66.

I spent two days in OKC with some friends and had some great food...then it was off to points westward!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
Nice RR. You've inspired me to find a way to pack an espresso maker.

My riding buddies always give me crap for bringing my french press.... now they are really going to flip!
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote