Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #181
WF_Jester
n00b

Oddometer: 247
Question Advice....

Erlin,

I need/want to make a carbon fiber sheet about 2' x 2' the kicker is the thickness it needs to be about 1/8" thick because of how it will mount and needing to have countersunk holes for flat head screws. Can you give me any advice and tell me about how many layers of fiber I need to achieve that thickness?

2010 BMW F800GS
1965 Panhead Chopper
2006 HD Roadking
2005 Softail Standard - Stolen
1981 Suzuki GSX 750 - Burned
1977 Yamaha IT 400 - Burned
1974 Suzuki TC 100 - Sold

WF_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #182
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF_Jester View Post
Erlin,

I need/want to make a carbon fiber sheet about 2' x 2' the kicker is the thickness it needs to be about 1/8" thick because of how it will mount and needing to have countersunk holes for flat head screws. Can you give me any advice and tell me about how many layers of fiber I need to achieve that thickness?
Sure, but first, What is it to be used for...... Structural.....???? If Structural I would go with 12 oz fabric. 3-4 layers should do it. Thickness actually much depends on how much resin you have in there. Most people will lay up with more resin than the 30/70% rule. If i were to make a plate, I would get two pieces of glass from the depot (2x2 feet) treat them with release agent, and simply lay up the sandwich in between. Makes for a nice smooth finish, and you can carefully squeeze it to an exact thickness of 1/8 inch. Or you can just wing it..... Be aware of the common mistake to brush too much resin in the middle, and the piece is now thicker in the middle, than the edges. Two glass plates control that as well. Hope this helps. If you only have 6 oz fabric, then 5-6 layers.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #183
WF_Jester
n00b

Not sure what you mean by structural. It will be about a 12" x 6" X .125" piece that will be supporting about 7 pounds of weight about the same size but 3" thick. The 3" and .125 being parallel to each other. I figure that it will be plenty strong. The glass is a wonderful idea. This is just the first step of a larger project. More details and questions to follow if I can make a simple 1/8 plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Sure, but first, What is it to be used for...... Structural.....???? If Structural I would go with 12 oz fabric. 3-4 layers should do it. Thickness actually much depends on how much resin you have in there. Most people will lay up with more resin than the 30/70% rule. If i were to make a plate, I would get two pieces of glass from the depot (2x2 feet) treat them with release agent, and simply lay up the sandwich in between. Makes for a nice smooth finish, and you can carefully squeeze it to an exact thickness of 1/8 inch. Or you can just wing it..... Be aware of the common mistake to brush too much resin in the middle, and the piece is now thicker in the middle, than the edges. Two glass plates control that as well. Hope this helps. If you only have 6 oz fabric, then 5-6 layers.

2010 BMW F800GS
1965 Panhead Chopper
2006 HD Roadking

Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #184
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by structural. It will be about a 12" x 6" X .125" piece that will be supporting about 7 pounds of weight about the same size but 3" thick. The 3" and .125 being parallel to each other. I figure that it will be plenty strong. The glass is a wonderful idea. This is just the first step of a larger project. More details and questions to follow if I can make a simple 1/8 plate.
By structural, I mean does it need to carry a load. Composites are very strong, but flexible. I'd go with the 3-4 layers, of 12 oz, or 5-6 of the 6 oz. 3 layers of release agent on the glass. squeeze the top glass down to achieve 1/8 inch thickness, then leave it alone to cure.

Erling
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #185
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Beautiful! But I'll stick with metal.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #186
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Beautiful! But I'll stick with metal.
Thanks...

Erling
Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #187
WF_Jester
n00b

Does the resin have to have contact with air to harden. How do you figure out how much resin to use. I have an volume of about 9ci not counting the carbon fiber that comes out to about 5 fl ozs of resin once again without taking the carbon fiber displacement in to account. You mentioned a 30/70 ratio earlier which percent is resin?

Quote:
By structural, I mean does it need to carry a load. Composites are very strong, but flexible. I'd go with the 3-4 layers, of 12 oz, or 5-6 of the 6 oz. 3 layers of release agent on the glass. squeeze the top glass down to achieve 1/8 inch thickness, then leave it alone to cure.

2010 BMW F800GS
1965 Panhead Chopper
2006 HD Roadking

Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #188
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Does the resin have to have contact with air to harden. How do you figure out how much resin to use. I have an volume of about 9ci not counting the carbon fiber that comes out to about 5 fl ozs of resin once again without taking the carbon fiber displacement in to account. You mentioned a 30/70 ratio earlier which percent is resin?
At this point, so as not to turn this into a different build/how to, I think you need to read up a little. I have lots of threads here,taking you step by step. Click on my username, and navigate to the "all threads started by ebrabaek" and start reading. This is something you need to do before proceeding. I would like you to start a new thread, rather than post it in here. If you dont like that, then post it in here...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

Here is what searched yielded.....

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=25717235

This is NOT meant to put you off. I Don't work like that, just to organize this in the appropriate thread. Resin is 30%....cloth is 70% by weight.

Erling
Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #189
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Hey Erling,

great thread again! this looks like an awesome bashplate!

I was reading in an early post you said Kevlar had great abrasion and carbon had great stiffness,

So was it just the look or another reason why you put the outer layer on the bashplate in CF? because wouldnt it be more durable to put the kevlar on the outside?
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #190
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Hey Erling,

great thread again! this looks like an awesome bashplate!

I was reading in an early post you said Kevlar had great abrasion and carbon had great stiffness,

So was it just the look or another reason why you put the outer layer on the bashplate in CF? because wouldnt it be more durable to put the kevlar on the outside?
You got it right....... It is a bit easier to manage CF on the outside, than K-39. You see, when you start bashing, and scrapink the K-39, as top layer, it frays, and as it is hard to sand, or grind away, you end up having a bash plate looking like cotton ball hanging down. Plus the yellow K-39 finish is not good looking.... imho. So I put a CF diaper on it.....
This way with CF on top the K-39 does not fray in comparison. Looking at it.... I do have several yellow scars protruding though......

Erling
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #191
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You got it right....... It is a bit easier to manage CF on the outside, than K-39. You see, when you start bashing, and scrapink the K-39, as top layer, it frays, and as it is hard to sand, or grind away, you end up having a bash plate looking like cotton ball hanging down. Plus the yellow K-39 finish is not good looking.... imho. So I put a CF diaper on it.....
This way with CF on top the K-39 does not fray in comparison. Looking at it.... I do have several yellow scars protruding though......
arr right! nice one.. so its easier to patch up some CF ;)

Nice work.. I might start working on some CF stuff once i have the garage space.. I cant believe the finish you are getting on it, it looks very cool!! I thought you would of had to make a fiberglass mould then make the CF for that type of finish but apparently not..
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #192
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Im just Curious, have you had any experience with the West 105 epoxy products? It seems to be the only thing the Australian suppliers carry...

http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category3_1.htm

Cheers :)
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #193
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
arr right! nice one.. so its easier to patch up some CF ;)

Nice work.. I might start working on some CF stuff once i have the garage space.. I cant believe the finish you are getting on it, it looks very cool!! I thought you would of had to make a fiberglass mould then make the CF for that type of finish but apparently not..
You can do that as well. The sort of raised , uneven surface of the raw cured fiber, has to be sanded, but then it is as glossy as your hands want it to be.

Erling
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #194
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Im just Curious, have you had any experience with the West 105 epoxy products? It seems to be the only thing the Australian suppliers carry...

http://www.carbonfiber.com.au/category3_1.htm

Cheers :)
I have no direct experience with the 105, but as it is a marine grade stable product, it is available around the world. As such less emphasis is made in the boutique flavors, like transparency. It takes the alchemist a bit more trouble to create polymers that are clear, and stands up to UV bombardment. The best thing for you to do, is have a look at the transparency of the 105...... if it is not too dark for you, then ask someone who has used it, unpainted, how it stands up to UV rays.

Erling
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #195
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have no direct experience with the 105, but as it is a marine grade stable product, it is available around the world. As such less emphasis is made in the boutique flavors, like transparency. It takes the alchemist a bit more trouble to create polymers that are clear, and stands up to UV bombardment. The best thing for you to do, is have a look at the transparency of the 105...... if it is not too dark for you, then ask someone who has used it, unpainted, how it stands up to UV rays.
Thanks heaps, I'll do that..