User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #196
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Bluhduh Carnage.....

Some one early on in this thread suggested that I take out the bike and drop the bike on the bash plate, on a boulder....
Well....... eeehhhhhh.... Happy to oblige..... Rode 75 miles....55 of them through soft sand, and evil washes. Came off this hop and down 4 foot boulder with a bad entrance, and fork bottomed out, and I suspect a 1 foot drop on the bash plate...... A mega clunk, and I just about $h!t my pants. Thanks to a new device, the bike did not jerk and stall, when I seized motion, but I knew this was a hard one. Note the boulder on the right side. What you cannot see is the little over 1 foot drop on the back side.

Had a look, and then after determining that no engine damage was done....only to the bash plate.... We ripped back home....

The Bash plate had done exactly what it was supposed to do..... Flex, and distribute the impact. And as such, no damage was done to any of the engine mounts. After getting home and inspecting it, I could really see how much. Primary impact area, partially shattered a small area, the size of a dime..... ( had to dig this area out to accommodate the stupid headers)

Then the right engine mount sheared off..... , and the whole right side of the plate went upward by about 3/4 inch, where it impacted with the SW motec bars. Looks bad, to the untrained eye, but it will be fixed in a matter of a few hrs.

That was quite the bang. My fellow rider could not believe there was no engine damage, as he heard it very loud back a ways. Awesome...... Time to fix it back up.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #197
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Well....... eeehhhhhh.... Happy to oblige..... Rode 75 miles....55 of them through soft sand, and evil washes. Came off this hop and down 4 foot boulder with a bad entrance, and fork bottomed out, and I suspect a 1 foot drop on the bash plate...... A mega clunk, and I just about $h!t my pants.

Maybe your engine wasn't damaged but you lost half a wheel there buddy

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #198
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Maybe your engine wasn't damaged but you lost half a wheel there buddy
Shhhhhhh..... It the new stealth rim from Woody's....... You....... Didn't .... seeee..... aaaaaanything.....

Or a crappy panorama from my S3 galaxy.....

Erling
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #199
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

This is a bit better....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 03:42 PM Reason: add picture
Old 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #200
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Calling Loutre...... riiiiing riiiing.

I had a feeling that peace would not settle here until I fixed this......
Good news are, that there was no broken engine mounts....oil pans.... etc..... Bad news is, well, it is sorta bad. As I had to create a low point in the bash guard to accommodate the worthless, poorly made, and badly jigged Arrow headers, a small rock was in there, and as the impact happened it made a small dent in the header.... $%%@#*^&$ Pik og patter....... Note the rock.

Header.......

I am going to find someone who can weld my stock headers after CAT removal, and throw those Arrow headers as far away as I can.

Guard trimmed of the damaged area...

So first the bad pieces was cut out of the plate, for further analysis. This is the piece cut out right under the SWMotec bar that had bashed it......It obviously had been bashed very hard, but with the type of seperation here between layers of Kevlar is an indication of too much resin. This is what happens. The K-39 swells and absorbs more resin than the CF, and as it swells tiny voids will fill with resin, which will yield a less strong layup. If the composite was held in either a vacuum, or mechanically in place, it would have been stronger. This is obviously a very big bash with a round bar....... off an angle. Who knows.... if it was vacuum bagged, would it have broke...... Dunno. I do know this..... This is as strong of a layup you can make without bagging. Perhaps with a plain weave...... as 2x2 twill is not the strongest.

Here is the bracket...... same prognosis....

Then marked with tape to make the new bracket. I will make the shape a little different.......

Cheers.

Erling
Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #201
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Come to the dark side of chopped exhausts! Also if you are going to chop/weld the stock exhaust which works famously, perhaps the talented gent could fix the arrow exhaust too. Just chop right before the dent and some talented folks could fix the dent and re weld that too.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #202
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Come to the dark side of chopped exhausts! Also if you are going to chop/weld the stock exhaust which works famously, perhaps the talented gent could fix the arrow exhaust too. Just chop right before the dent and some talented folks could fix the dent and re weld that too.
Yeppers..... Dark side. On top of this, the top of the Arrow headers are touching the oil pan. There is no way to adjust this. I will say that never again will I purchase any Arrow product. It is cheap, poorly fitted, and ehhhhhh.... Poorly jigged. As soon as I can find someone to weld my stocker, it's ottahere. The dent is miniscule, and has no effect on performance.

Erling
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #203
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I had a feeling that peace would not settle here until I fixed this......
Good news are, that there was no broken engine mounts....oil pans.... etc..... Bad news is, well, it is sorta bad. As I had to create a low point in the bash guard to accommodate the worthless, poorly made, and badly jigged Arrow headers, a small rock was in there, and as the impact happened it made a small dent in the header....

Cheers.
So happy this thread is back
But god damn what did arrow think with their design? This is supposed to be a dual sport and not a race bike.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #204
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
So happy this thread is back
But god damn what did arrow think with their design? This is supposed to be a dual sport and not a race bike.
I know right...... They had their head up their a$$ when they designed this header.

Erling
Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #205
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alright.... stage two.
First a ramp was designed to hold the now straight bracket, in stead of the S type old bracket.

On the guard....

Final angle adjust.....

Then 15 layers of 6 oz 6K 2x2 twill was laid up.....

This time I am taking it to 300 deg for a few hrs, to achieve max potential....

Note the 4 layers of 6 oz 3k 2x2 on the inside @ ground zero.....

This whole latter part of this thread really illustrate how well composites works, and can be fixed....altered....etc. I can assure you that you would have been throwing an aluminum guard away at this point,as it would have sheared. That of course could be fixed with hammering, and welding.....but at a higher by a good margin....cost. I think that the engine would still have been ok..... I think, but the headers would have been toast, as aluminum does not distribute pressure very well. It tends to deflect in the area of impact, as we have seen some inmates replacing their oil pan after a good hit. That is still not bad though.
This will now cure a few hrs, and then onward to the outside.

Erling
Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #206
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then on to the bottom. Extra armor. 10 layers of 6oz 6K 2x2 twill.

It looks like the guard has seen a bit of use. Note the "CAT" area.....

Then after rough sanding.......

Fitting tomorrow.

Erling
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #207
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fixed.....

Slowly ground off the bracket to make a good fit.....

Then trimmed the inside, and prepped for another piece to be bonded to the inside....

Piece bonded to the inside, and hole drilled.....

Then fit checks out great....

I am waiting on some 12 oz 12K 2x2 twill...... Notice the outside has been sanded..... Can you say.... Carbondillo.....

Erling
Old 11-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #208
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
?

hey erling....is the bike lighter with all these carbon fiber mods or are u braking even with to many layers to hold strength?
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #209
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
hey erling....is the bike lighter with all these carbon fiber mods or are u braking even with to many layers to hold strength?
I am getting around 60% of an equivalent aluminum build..... Not at fault of the composites, but as I am not vacuum bagging, I can never reach the strength of such. I just add a layer or two of CF. Normally I would be at about 30% of alu. equivalent, so the bike will always be lighter with this, than with alu. or steel. Like the luggage cases. If memory serves me correct, they came in at just about 3-4 pounds each..... So still lighter, but not as light, as it could be, but lighter , and stronger by far as compared to alu. I have no doubts this would have taken out the oil pan, if it was a 5-6mm alu bash guard.

Erling
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #210
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soooo... I finally got a chance to put two layers of Panzer Cloth on the bash guard. Two layers of 12K 12oz 2x2 twill. This is why. I am always trying to circumnavigate vacuum bagging. Simply because of time, and mess involved. I will not argue that vacuum'ing it would make for a stronger matrix. Hands down. As I am still in prepping for my all mountain bike front triangle..... it will be bagged. I simply try to work it without. I am not adding for strength here, but as you will see with high temp/strength epoxy's.... They are extremely hard, making for a very stiff layup, but the one thing is abrasive resistance. It does not have that. So I mixed two types of polymers..... High temp, and low temp epoxy ( MAX HTE+1618) This way I now have two outer armadillo layers... with a flex bonding..... It increased the weight I would say 10%, but I am thinking that that combo will prevent a lot of the abrasive wear from road debris. The other solution, of course, would be an outer layer of Kevlar, but I don't wanna look at a yellow, orange, blue....etc.... guard.....
So here it is with rough sanding done, and the rub completed......

Next it a layer of clear coat.....

Erling