Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #61
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Great stuff, Erling!

So how strong do you think the final product will be? If you high center the bike, will the bash plate be able to hold its weight without the epoxy cracking?
Absolutely ......well..... You might see some gouching of the outer CF.....But it`l hold for sure.....

Should it be able to take rock hits OK?
Yes....
I have not done any structural testing with this particular build.......But I did a couple of case savers....( clutch and stator) on a Suzuki DRZ) And It was made with 4 layers of Composites...( 3 CF....1 Kevlar)....I took it out and shot at it with a 40 cal. pistol. Behind it I had 2 telephone books. Bullet was a jacketed hollow point at 1350fps. Distance was 10 feet. Control test yielded penetration of one book, and 496 pages of the second. Same test....but with the test plate in the front.........Bullet went through the plate......but then most of it had deformed, and it subsequently only penetrated 61 pages.......Quite a reduction. Most people are properly laughing by now....... It was an odd test, and admittedly just for fun. It looks cool and all to read that some company's shoot at their composite guards for the testing........But the results are far from appropriate in comparison to a real bash of the bike on a rock. But....... I thought it be fun. That said. I am confident that you can rock this thing......Bash is..... something else will break before the bash guard will. That said....you will score it ....scrape it......But it will hold shape....and all you need is a simple repair job..... sort of like a band aid. Once you build this.....you need no other guard......imho.....

Erling

Socorro.......That`s just around the corner. You are welcome to trek down here and have a look. In Oct.....8-9-10....Sandia is putting on a ride.... I believe first night is at the high Country Lodge, in Magdalena... I will be attending......You too???
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #62
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
Socorro.......That`s just around the corner. You are welcome to trek down here and have a look. In Oct.....8-9-10....Sandia is putting on a ride.... I believe first night is at the high Country Lodge, in Magdalena... I will be attending......You too???
Hadn't heard of that trip yet, but yeah, I'll check it out. The forest roads around there are great fun.

I might take you up on having a look at your composites setup. I've got a couple projects in mind for my HP2 -- building an underseat storage compartment for tools and first aid, and maybe replacing some bodywork. Been on the back burner for a while, but this thread's inspiring me.....
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #63
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
Hadn't heard of that trip yet, but yeah, I'll check it out. The forest roads around there are great fun.

I might take you up on having a look at your composites setup. I've got a couple projects in mind for my HP2 -- building an underseat storage compartment for tools and first aid, and maybe replacing some bodywork. Been on the back burner for a while, but this thread's inspiring me.....
Sounds interesting...... Just let me know....

Erling
Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #64
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Making the mounts......

There are two ways you could make`em..... Either cut the 4 indentations in the Styrofoam....then push the composites in there....like I did with the grooved for the honeycomb. I would properly have done that if it was just a few layers.... But I think that it could have created issues with all 7 layers. So this is how to do it. First I stole one of the kidoes crayon.....then marked the bottom of each bolt on the engine.... The hold up the plate....tap on it under each bolt with a rubber mallet. Mark and drill.......in 3 stages.....small med. full bore drill. Then find a little plastic bottle cut it in 4 sections. I used one of the hotel shampoo bottles my wife have stolen from our last outing..... Mark each section on the plate....... Then sand it with the dremel....

Then tape them in place.......

Put tape on the bottom to seal the holes......

Then mix some resin............With this cut pieces of CF............

Then make sure you mix in a lot of the cf.......Then distribute it in each hole........

You need to be care full to cure it first for 3 hrs at no more than 80 deg.F.....then set it in the sun...... If you bring it out too early.....You will experience thermal runaway........remember the picture earlier. It has to finish the early stage of polymerization before latent heat is applied.
Baking in the sun........

Erling
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #65
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 905
This is so freakin cool.

What's next ebrabaek??? CF highway pegs for your CF engine protection bars?!?

Keep up the excellent work!!!
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #66
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
This is so freakin cool.

No way- I want to see a tail tidy! ebrabaek, please read this for inspiration! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=tail+tidy
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #67
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
This is so freakin cool.

..... I gotta finish this first.............

Erling
Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #68
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
No way- I want to see a tail tidy! ebrabaek, please read this for inspiration! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=tail+tidy
Yeppers..... That rear end could use some work.......I did read the thread.....Good idea.....

Erling
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #69
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,591
Great project. I think I can do this too.

Would making the mount tabs from another material create a little more flex?
Had you thought of solid rubber?

Also in regards to curing and temperatures, is there any reason to NOT use an oven?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #70
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Great project. I think I can do this too.

Would making the mount tabs from another material create a little more flex?
Had you thought of solid rubber?

I like to keep the material in that structural area the same.....It will receive a lot of heat...bashing, and the one thing that will hurt composites is the transfer between composites and say steel. Vibrations....scoring...will slowly "sand" of the composites.....Then the stock mounts have the rubber isolator....and I will be using the same brass rings that the stock plate uses....

Also in regards to curing and temperatures, is there any reason to NOT use an oven?
Not at all.....If my wife would have let me....I`d stuffed this inside our nice convection oven inside..... You have much better control over the temps....So absolutely...

Erling
Old 08-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #71
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last part of the day......I put it under the heat lamp after 4 hrs in the sun..... To elevate each mount to 300....Once reaching 300....move the lamp to the next mount....and so forth.......That way it is at maximum strength.....

Till tomorrow....

Erling
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #72
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 709

Hi,
Great thread ! will the cardboard strips bind to the semi solid epoxy strips or are they a separate layer ?

Thanks,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #73
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed
Hi,
Great thread ! will the cardboard strips bind to the semi solid epoxy strips or are they a separate layer ?

Thanks,Ed
They are infused with resin, and is now part of the sandwich....

Erling
Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #74
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finishing the bottom mounts.....

Started by sanding the 4 mounts to the height desired........Then inserting the brass collars.....

The needed to countersink the bottom side....for the nut....so nothing protrudes through to be snagged by the rocks.......

That completes the bottom mounts........ Here it is on the bike.......

That`s a big bucket......... Too bad it gets so hot there..... It would have doubled nicely as a cooler............
I will work on the cooling holes and front mount tomorrow...... Time to call it a day......I like it so far though.......

Erling
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #75
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Looks Great