Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #76
Varitech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wicked Fantastico

Excelente trabajo !

Eres una gran inspiracion, espero poder hacer algo parecido para mi V-STrom DL 650, no has pensado en fabricar topocase o maletas laterales de fibra de carbono usando tu habilidades quedaria geniales !

Un favor no se si podrias poner la lista de todo el material que usaste para ver si puedo hacerlo yo !

Grandioso trabajo !

SUZUKI - DL650 K7 - Black Lion.
CAGIVA - CANYON 600 - Blue. (En venta $20,000.00 MX)
HONDA - CB650 - Black.
CARABELA - 125 - Black.
Varitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #77
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitech
Excelente trabajo !

Eres una gran inspiracion, espero poder hacer algo parecido para mi V-STrom DL 650, no has pensado en fabricar topocase o maletas laterales de fibra de carbono usando tu habilidades quedaria geniales !

Un favor no se si podrias poner la lista de todo el material que usaste para ver si puedo hacerlo yo !

Grandioso trabajo !
Gracias Amigo...... El gusto es mio......
I have not thought about the top case......But are seriously thinking about the side cases. I have a pair of Ortlieb qr`s on it right now..... Es possible en el future...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #78
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Equipment, and list to buy......

I keep forgetting to list the supply`s..... So here is a added list.

Carbon Fiber Cloth.....5.7 oz twill http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html
Kevlar Cloth...I used 6 oz....but any of the two on the botom will do fine.... http://uscomposites.com/hybrids.html

Epoxy (Brand ?) ...
Low temperature http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-CRYS...item483544bccc
High temperature http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-HIGH...efaultDomain_0

Automotive Spray Lacquer (with UV inhibitor).....any will do...Key word uv protection. I used dupli color clear coat finish 8 oz. cost around $ 6
Sand paper – 80 grit (rough sanding)
Sand paper – 220 grit (finish sanding) then 800 grit and 1200 grit prior to last two coats of lacquer.

Black Electric Tape
Plastic Cups for mixing

Parafilm (mold release spray?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOLD-RELEASE-FIB...item483a24fc63

Brushes.....any will do..

Tools:
Dremel
Paint sprayer/compressor (needed ?) No
Brushes (?)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #79
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wink Front brackett.....

There are several options as to how to make the front bracket. Metal.......CF.....I looked at some other bash guards.....and they had a few right angle pieces bolted on to the engine. I toke note of that, and decided to make a composite bracket. It again illustrate how versatile the composite is. I cut...measured....welded a SS bracket......... ( I can`t weld.....But am lethal with a grinder...) Then the plan was is to lay up 6 layers of CF on the inside of the bracket. So again....it was coated with two layers of parafilm and ready to cast...... Checking one more time.....

Then on a side note...... I thought I`d show what happens if you stir the epoxy resin too fast....Note all the bubbles.......

Then not after it has degassed for 10 minutes.......Still some bubbles....but most have migrated to the top.....

Then after the 6 layers....... Looks like something out of hellraiser.........But fear not.... It`l be trimmed......

Drying for a few hrs......

Erling
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #80
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Very well done- !

What else have you made with this concept?
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #81
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
Very well done- !

What else have you made with this concept?
Thanks..... Well.... on bikes......This is propperly my biggest thing.......

Every piece of CF/K....are home made...... Some from the original plastic.....some from my own molds..... Pipe 100% my own....incl. the core....end cap....etc... Tail light....faring....100% my own.....heat shield....case saver....my own....The build can be seen at the Suzuki drz-400 forum at Thumpertalk.com

Erling
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #82
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking Its Finished......

Finally......Its finished.........Bracket trimmed and on the bike.... Sort of still looks like something out of hellraiser.....but it works.....

Cut the cooling vents for the exhaust, and oil cooler....... I`m surprised none has asked about the large space left around the headers............Aaaaaaaanyway...... Just in case I spring for a set or remus headers in the future....... there is room............

Just got the EVO in.......so in the am.....install.......and then on for a ride. In retrospect....... I might add two honeycomb strips in the front. It is flexible, and although I don`t think anything will ever hit there....because of the front wheel...... You just never know....... So far.....I like it a lot.....Cheers.

Erling
Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #83
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Wink Test ride........

As always.....when you test something you make yourself......It`s sort of nerve wrecking......... You know you did your homework......Nevertheless.....I put on my new Leo Vince CF pipe.....and went for a few rides.......Nice.....But when I stopped at the light.....Mind you it`s 100 deg.F ( 38 C.) .....I smelled this burned pipe packing smell.... Nahhhhh I thought....it`s just the pipe..... Then 1/4 mile down the road..... I My conscience got to me...... I stopped.............. Sure enough.... It was the pipe...... Rode for another 30 minutes........( I have only cut the cooling holes in the front.....none on the bottom) and after 20 miles......10 freeway at 80 mph....then stop and go..... I went home....... and grapped the infrared thermometer...... Withe the bike idleing in the hot sun.... I started measuring..... The highest I saw on the outside was 154 deg. F concentrated along of the headers........ Then I moved back to the cat...... And thought I was going to have a heart attack..... The cat itself....was 521 deg. F..........
But the Composites was only 165 deg. F. And...... was only 1/4 inch of clearance. I let it idle for 5 minutes.... to see if any hot spots would develop..... But the readings was the same...... So that was a great relief........Even the new CF can only registred 178 F. ....... So All in All......a great day in the desert.....
Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #84
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Very nice!
Now go bash it on a rock!!!
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #85
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13
Very nice!
Now go bash it on a rock!!!
That time will come soon enough.......

Erling
Old 08-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #86
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Dude,

You should be building cars. Yu have a cool knack for this.

I want a KLR powered little car to run errands with....

Carbon fiber black would be fine.

You ever try making jacket armour inserts?

Another thing that might be cool.
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #87
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dude,

You should be building cars. Yu have a cool knack for this.

I want a KLR powered little car to run errands with....

Carbon fiber black would be fine.

You ever try making jacket armour inserts?

Another thing that might be cool.
...Thanks...
I have never made inserts for the jackets.... But that would be easy.... In my early days I did build a few car spoilers, and skirts.....

Erling
Old 08-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #88
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

A few adjustments.....

As with any thing you make yourself....You fine tune it.....And here is the final product.....Works really well in the 100 deg. F. hot desert.....even after a few hundred miles of combined riding....... The front bracket was re-designed.....and added 3 mire layers to stiffen it even more. Plus.... I cut the top off, and re-drilled the holes full with....rather than top and bottom center........

Then as explained earlier in the post.... The front was stiffened.... By adding two strips of honeycomb..... Mark....sand the two areas..... Then use a few small pieces of dual sided carpet tape to hold the strips in place.....

Cut ....in this case two layers of kevlar..... Saturate the cardboard.....layup the composite.... And I used a few SS strips on the top, and Aluminum strips on the bottom to hold the wet layup in place while hardening......

Here it is.... Not as pretty as before....but better and stronger....... Note the two drain/ heat holes drilled in the bottom as well.....

Last test is to bash it of a rock.... And while no one in their right mind would seek out to intentionally do such..... I`m sure that at some point ....It will happen..... When it does... I`l post the results...... But to give you an idea.... I cut a little piece of by the cat..... 3 inches by 1/4 inch..... Asked a few friends over to see the project....to break it...... They could`nt..... Flexible....but strong...... Until then.....

Erling
Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #89
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

From early days of working with fiberglass, doing autobody and fixin rust up here in the 1970's.... I can just about count the hours you have in your work. I gave up autobody in the late 70's.....

One of those things that you do 'cause it's rewarding and nobody else has one like it.

Do you have to be careful with carbon fiber dust when grinding/sanding, like more so than you might with common fiberglass? (mask, minimize exposed skin)

Is it "itchy" ?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #90
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
From early days of working with fiberglass, doing autobody and fixin rust up here in the 1970's.... I can just about count the hours you have in your work. I gave up autobody in the late 70's.....

One of those things that you do 'cause it's rewarding and nobody else has one like it.
Yeppers.....

Do you have to be careful with carbon fiber dust when grinding/sanding, like more so than you might with common fiberglass? (mask, minimize exposed skin)
Yes you do..... Although not as "bad" as fiberglass......You should take precautions. When I sand on either belt sander....I have a shop vac connected.....and an exhaust fan as well.

Is it "itchy" ?
...........Yes a little.....But nowhere near as much as fiberglass. When I need to sand a lot.....I have a big 22 inch fan on my side.... That will blow everything away from myself..... You can get fancy suits....gloves....Hoods.... But over the years, I found that what works best....Is simply to blow it away from you with authority....

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 03:23 PM