Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #91
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,361
I'm fascinated with the technology changes since 1976 or so, when I was sweeping floors in body shops and just learning.

Mostly the purple rubber gloves fascinate me.

Shhhh!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #92
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
I'm fascinated with the technology changes since 1976 or so, when I was sweeping floors in body shops and just learning.

Mostly the purple rubber gloves fascinate me.

Shhhh!
Your not kidding....... I was building boats and windmill wings in Denmark in the mid 80`s.....and your right.......A lot has happened since then...... Specially in the polymer world......Hmmmmmm..... Rubber gloves........
I personally love the efficiency of the blue ones.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #93
GSranger
blacksheep

Oddometer: 83
Great Stuff!

You have done incredible work. I just read both of your thread... you are awesome !!!

This is good information and motivation for our long wet winters up here in the Pacific Northwest. I've already started conuring up ideas on how/what to get started with!

I just have two wierd questions for you:

1. What do you do for a living?

2. How did you get started with all this?
GSranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #94
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
you definitely do good work but still not sure if i'm sold...

Is a rock bash like a 3 iron or a baseball bat??? Perhaps you can orchestrate some beta testing and tee off on it, see how it holds up? Shit looks good though. You could probably make a mint with a ricer crew.
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #95
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSranger
You have done incredible work. I just read both of your thread... you are awesome !!!

This is good information and motivation for our long wet winters up here in the Pacific Northwest. I've already started conuring up ideas on how/what to get started with!

I just have two wierd questions for you:

1. What do you do for a living?

2. How did you get started with all this?
Thank you for those great words.....
1. I am a pilot......Privileged with not have to make a living from composites.....well.....anymore....

2. My dad started me early in my teens.......and caught my....hmmmm....ehhh... artistic attention...... After a few years....I began building 10 meter sail boats....and subsequently wings for the windmill industry. That was in the early eighties in Denmark. After a few years of that I had a few close encounters with styrene.....toxic stuff....but present in all polyester resins..... Decided that i`d be better if I could make the stuff on my own terms....... I never quit the composite world, and have made many projects.....but on small scales..Since then I traveled a few thousand miles west to the US, where I now reside in the Great desert southwest.

Erling
Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #96
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatant
you definitely do good work but still not sure if i'm sold...

Is a rock bash like a 3 iron or a baseball bat??? Perhaps you can orchestrate some beta testing and tee off on it, see how it holds up? Shit looks good though. You could probably make a mint with a ricer crew.
You have a valid point. I really won`t know until I bash it. I am going to hide behind my experience...... I have done a lot of testing through out the years.....I find the R&D fascinating. After the shooting episode on the case savers on " Darth Vador".....I was really opened up to the idea of the bash guard. You sort of get an idea after working this stuff over several years....what each layer of composite....and each different resin will yield in strength. I will say this.... It is a little more flexible than 5mm aluminum......But tremendously stronger....and will bounce back rather than stay compressed. A fellow friend and 12GS rider came by today.....and asked the same question. I gave him this little piece that was cut off the bash guard under the cat............ I dared him to brake it.........He was smiling at first........then he went OMG......Needles to say.........He tried....hard but bus unable......Try that with 5mm aluminum......

Yet again.....I have never been afraid to post up when things I do......fail.... ( check out thumpertalk.com and you will see)......So when I get it in the dirt.... I`l post the results here.......

Erling
Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #97
GSranger
blacksheep

getting started

ebrabaek,

I checked out the links you posted for where you buy your materials. It looks like you have to buy a lot of stuff that will leave you with a lot left over.

For instance, how much resin did you go through in this bash plate build? It looks like no matter how small my first project... the initial startup will be ~ $300-$400 (sorry, I'm a cheap ass)

Does that sound about right?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #98
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ebrabaek,

I checked out the links you posted for where you buy your materials. It looks like you have to buy a lot of stuff that will leave you with a lot left over.

For instance, how much resin did you go through in this bash plate build? It looks like no matter how small my first project... the initial startup will be ~ $300-$400 (sorry, I'm a cheap ass)

Does that sound about right?
I would not think there should be a lot left over. The epoxy resin size listed a few post earlier, should be good for two bash plates......You could buy a lower volume. As far as the fabric......make a template from a used pillowcase.......don`t tell the wife......That roughly matches the projected mold.....making sure you overlap 1-2 inches. See what with that fits best....50...60 inches.....Then it`s just a matter of doing the math. You should not have too much fabric left over. Take a look at the ebay vendor I listed....He does sell CF as well. I would think you can make one for about half of what you projected...

Erling
Old 08-16-2010, 04:18 PM   #99
GSranger
blacksheep

I will probably start ordering materials this weekend. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions and will likely be sending you a PM or two.

Lucky for me, I met a guy who used to work building boats for many years... lots of experience with fiberglass. He may be a valuable (local) resource.

Thanks... your projects are definately inspiring
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #100
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I will probably start ordering materials this weekend. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions and will likely be sending you a PM or two.

Lucky for me, I met a guy who used to work building boats for many years... lots of experience with fiberglass. He may be a valuable (local) resource.

Thanks... your projects are definately inspiring
Post up when you start......shoot me a pm, if you start your own thread, so I can watch.......

Erling
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #101
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soooooo.... After one month of usage....... I`m glad to state that it`s holding up just like it was expected. I have put on a few hundred miles......and have had no heat issues at all. Only dirt sections, are a 300 foot stretch getting to my house..... ( they are taring up the street for re-paving. My neighbors must thing I`m an idiot...... " Look mom.... there goes that wicket dude on that orange bike again......You think he`s gonna crash this time......"..
Amazing what the dirt does to this bike............ Anyway.... Had to do a little machining...... ( read filing)..... I put on these.......

And When I build the case...... I thought I`d left plenty of room..... But that was not the case. So out went the tools...... For comparison.... I would say it takes about the same to file/saw this as it does 1/4 inch steel....yes steel...... I work metal often....So I`m quite familiar with it..... As what a pain...... Sort of good.... But it illustrates the great anti abrasive/impact resistant propperties this stuff has.... Yay. Next dirt ride is oct 8....with Sandia BMW of algurquuukki....Albiqqquu.. Albicoocoo.... North of Las Cruces,NM...... I will report how it does......

Erling
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #102
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

One more thing..... Nice that when you go through the trouble of making something like this..... It can evolve with new farkles. The pictures above illustrate the first step.... Gain clearance..... The I was able to fab up two brackets that secured the bash guard to the two lower forward sw motec mounts.......

Erling
Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #103
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sooooo...... This past week-end fellow riders and myself finished the southwest rally, put on by the fine people of Sandia BMW in NM. And although there were two wipe outs.......One on a versys, the other on a X-challenge..... The 8gs was the only one there..... All the others were on 12 gs. The bash plate saw many opportunity`s to get tested......but to no avail.....All was several rocks at high speed on dirt. Two of those were about 4-5 inch rocks whipped up at 55 mph. They made a bang that would scare the @$#%&&$ out of a CF noob. No sound you know sounds as terrifying as this.....and I did have to stop to see....... A few scratches...no breaks..... I ended up going straight to san antonio,tx...day after the ride, and wont be able to upload any pictures until after the 23`rd oct. Bike need washing first.... I have half of the fine desert dirt on it......

Erling
Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #104
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have worked with pre-preg carbon fiber and fiberglass with resin in a shop. The carbon we used required a vacuum bag and autoclave. To see what you can do in your garage is inspiring. Thank you!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #105
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have worked with pre-preg carbon fiber and fiberglass with resin in a shop. The carbon we used required a vacuum bag and autoclave. To see what you can do in your garage is inspiring. Thank you!
Yeppers....... I do sometime miss the prepregnated stuff...... But as you nailed it.... In today`s materials....and what you can do with little effort and equipment.... Is simply amazing...... So what will be your first piece.....

Erling