User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,422
Me, my daughter and a KLR

My daughter was not real crazy about me getting my KLR last year, but over 10K miles of safe riding and she has grown to like it... Especially after her first big day ride today (July 31, 2010)! This was my first extended distance riding 2-up.

She agreed to ride with me if I let her run the camera, so most of these are her pictures of what she liked and what she wanted to photograph. I wanted to share some historic and scenic locations, throw in a little adventure riding, and make sure she enjoyed it enough to want to go again.

So we left out from the house at 7:30AM, trying to get some relief from the Mississippi heat! At the last minute, we worked out a plan to meet up with 2wheeldReb and his son (where the Trace crosses the Interstate) and ride at least the first part together.

So our day began heading across the spillway of the Ross Barnett Reservoir.

On the other side of the Spillway we got on the Natchez Trace to escape the gridlock of the city...

(Again, my daughter is taking pictures of what interested her. I don't think she had been on this section of the trace before.)

At this point, we pulled off the Trace where I thought we were to meet 2WheeldReb, but 2 different Interstates cross the Trace and I went to the wrong one! So when we arrived, I noticed the missed call and my daughter and I had out breakfast from the tank bag while waiting on 2WheeldReb to catch up...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had been this basic route a couple of times times before. Once solo and once on a group ride with a bunch of ADV'ers. I explained to 2WheeldReb that I was trying not to get to adventurous and since he was on a FZ1 (riding 2-up) a was very agreeable to this. So we headed on Southwest, down the Trace. My daughter was fascinated by a section of dead trees!

She took this picture so she could ask me what this plant was: (soybeans)

We turned off the Trace at Highway 27 and cut over to Old Port Gibson Road, known locally for being a fun motorcycle road (at least for the flat lands of Mississippi!)

We passed a few old country stores, apparently still operating...

And some not...

and on we went...
Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

Out next stop was at the Rocky Springs Methodist Church. This church was built in 1837 by the Methodist congregation of Rocky Springs. Earlier the town had been a station for a circuit-riding preacher who stopped by only once or twice a month. The Church is preserved by the former congregation members who ceased regular services back in June of 2010 and gather here at an annual "homecoming" each spring.

The church has an old cemetery, surrounded by moss covered cedar trees, with graves going back to early 1800's. The sad thing is that it appears vandals have destroyed many of the grave markers. It takes a special level of low life to destroy an old cemetery! And we rode on...
Old 07-31-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

A short run on down Old Port Gibson Road brought us to the town of Port Gibson.

Port Gibson is said to have been spared during the War Between the States because it was "too pretty to burn"... Port Gibson has several buildings from pre-1860's since the town was spared. One of their landmarks is the First Presbyterian Church of Port Gibson, whose steeple has a gold hand pointing up.

Highway 61, which runs through downtown Port Gibson, also known as Church Street, has been a hot topic lately. An evil bureaucrat who is the head of the DOT, wants to build a 4 lane highway through the middle of town, destroying it's charm! Most homes and business has signs reading "SAVE CHURCH STREET".

Much of downtown Port Gibson is being revitalized. Such as the "Restoration Cafe"

Here is 2WheeldReb and son, following us through downtown Port Gibson.

We headed out of downtown towards one of my favorite roads in the area...

And on we rode...
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

So 2wheeldReb, on his street bike agreed to follow me out Schaifer Road to see the Schaifer House...

This is where the roads starting getting more interesting...

Old 07-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

And narrower, hillier, and...

And at the start of Schaifer Road, gravel!!!

I love this road, and from the pictures my daughter took, I'd say she does, too!

Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We putt along at an easy pace, always keeping my eye on my mirrors to make sure 2WheeldReb and son are doing okay on the street ride and adjusting to 2-up off road.

The streetbike appears to be doing okay, so we go deeper into the woods...

My daughter is probably thinking that we are out in the middle of nowhere, then signs start appearing...

This is actually listed as part of a battlefield tour

Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We made it to the house!

This marker is a memorial to the soldiers who fought here and marks the spot where "the first shot was fired" in the battle of Port Gibson.

The house was open, but empty, with signs around the outside giving the history of the place.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was at this point that I thought to ask my daughter if she was including the bikes in any of her pictures... So she took a couple just to make me happy...

Teenagers can be so sarcastic!

I ask 2WheeldReb is he is comfortable on the road, and warn him that it gets more rugged as we go to the other end. In ADV style, he says to go on!!

Goes down to 2 track at times

But the FZ1 just keeps on coming...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Very nice.

Great pictures.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We cross old bridges...

The road will open up and then narrow down...

I come to a rough spot and stop to see if he is comfortable to go on, and he does!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

After we ride a little further, I start trying to remember how long this road is... The previous times I road through here, I was following others and just enjoying the scenery. I check the GPS and ride on...

This isn't the normal type of road you see in Mississippi!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

I now remember the last time I rode this road out, the group I was with had Wolfy on his 1970's airhead and there was some water in places... Will the FZ1 be able to make it also?!?!

But of course!!! I owe this man some ADV stickers!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

We finally get back out to a paved road and head on to our next historic location... The RUINS OF WINDSOR.

(By the way, the paved road from the end of Schaifer Road back to Rodney Road was so much fun!!! Curves and curves and curves and 0 traffic!!!)

Some touristy people tried to explain that this chimney was from the kitchen cause that was where they cooked with open flames and didn't want the fire near the house... House still burned...

Been there, done that, on to the "Ghost Town of Rodney"...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #15
backwoodsKLR OP
Beastly Adventurer

2WheeldReb and son decide to head back towards home, so we ride off in search of the once growing town of Rodney, now mostly deserted... Rodney was once a thriving place and was almost voted the capitol of the MS Territory at one point! Here is some more history on Rodney, MS... One of the highlights of the nickel tour is the old First Presbyterian Church which still has a cannon ball lodged in the front wall.

OH NO!!! She managed to get a picture of me by the KLR:

(And showing off my 2010 Eastern Rendezvous shirt!)
But I sneak out my BlackBerry and get one of her!!