Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
speedcindy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Indeed, they are both poutine. We went to this place that is considered to have some of the best poutine around called La Resto Banquise, I think. There are like 24 different types of poutine, Luke got the turkey, onions and gravy, I got the Mexican one with spaghetti meat sauce, banana peppers, and beans I think. The fries didn't get soggy, the curds didn't melt, it was all around yummy!
speedcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
chiba
elitist BMW snob

Oddometer: 1,167
Cool report... and you're right, it's hotter 'n' hell here this summer.

I have to go to Montreal next summer - my 2nd time there. I'm taking my bike though instead of flying, it'll be much more fun that way & I can kick around the city for a couple days after the festival.

--chiba

Iron Butt Magazine - not just for LDR!

- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #18
voltaire2030
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Glad you like my hometown !

Poutine Bad thing for cholesterol but so good !

Enjoy you trip !
voltaire2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,849
85 K bikes were known for breaking center stands and there was a recall on them.
good luck and keep it comming
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #20
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,625
Wow, looks like you guys did great!
You really experienced a lot of Montreal, escpecially considering you were here for such a short time.
Looking forward to seeing what you did in Gaspe!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 422
Yeah, we had a great time up in Canada. Anyone on the east coast looking for a weekend trip or longer I'd highly recommend riding north! Don't let French be a deterrent, most people in the cities spoke English, and further you can get by.

There is so much to see in Montreal, I feel like we just got started. We did a ton of walking, rode the metro, biked. Its a great way to get a feel of a city.

From Montreal we made our way up to Quebec City. We planned on two nights there and use it as a jump point for our adventures around the Saguenay Fjord.

Before leaving though, we randomly bumped into a guy that we met in the Botanical Garden. (I have a habit of reconvening with people randomly) He was running a Chinese Calligraphy workshop, turns out he had a booth in Chinatown in the evenings. I bought a panda shirt for Cindy and he asked Cindy to watch the booth. He didn't speak any english, I speak some chinese and cindy speaks some french. Pretty great interaction. Here is Cindy watching his shop while he was rummaging around.

The next morning we got up early and made a run to Quebec City. For any route planners I decided to get off of Highway 40 and hit the countryside again. I got off onto the 159 to 354 heading northeast. We hit some really scenic roads and got a feel for rural Quebec. Coming from PA it reminded me of the Somerset area with all the dairy farms only in French.

We ended up riding around Lac-Saint_Joseph but were really disappointed as basically no viewing areas. Just private house after private house the entire way around. No thanks!

Eventually we made it to the Sheraton where I was burning some points. Nice hotel, golf course out the back. Not too bad.

We rested and just enjoyed chilling for an evening without doing too much. The next stop was in the heart of the Old Town Quebec at Maison Du Fort. Highly recommended, in such a great location.

We then walked around the old town.

Lots of quebec flags. Less Canadian flags, some of the Quebec Flags!

The narrow street - Rue du Petit Champlain. The tourist buses unloaded, it was way too crowded. We came back later after they all left and enjoyed the streets a lot more. Damn tourist

Thats the way we were eventually headed, follow the river, north.

Some night shots. A good DSLR and use the Aperture mode, put the camera on a good base. Long exposures at ISO 100.

Le Hobbit. Great food!

Marche du Vieux-Port de Quebec

A teaser shot for the next posting... The Saguenay!!!
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped

lukeman screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 10:25 AM
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

The luxurious part of this trip was now at an end. There would be no more swanky meals, restaurants, or accommodations. It would be camping from here on out basically. I was looking forward to getting into the countryside.

The ride up to the Saguenay was one of the most spectacular i've done. Steep grades, great views, it was a beautiful day.

A view of Montmorency Falls from the highway. Just been to Niagara so we just rolled past.

You know some rides are going to be good when they start like this

Continuing northeast.

The cockpit. Kept the panama map in there for nostalgia.

I love when the clouds have a presence, but aren't dumping on you.

Nice countryside.

Fiddling

Farms dot the landscape, tons of artisan shops around this area.

Always get some looks. I was amazed by how many Can-ams I saw. They were everywhere. Only second to Goldwings towing trailers. Must have seen 50 of them during the trip.

The beach. There was a seriously steep grade after this section. A ton of fun.

Did i mention the weather?

Made it to the ferry at Tadoussac.

Thats where we are headed. It was settling in that we made it all the way here. We were excited.

Setting a goal and achieving it.

We both love ice cream so we made a stop before getting to the campground.

It seemed like a bad idea to have a 1.5 mile hike to the campsite while hiking. Cindy had her backpack which I carried and we strapped on the tank bag to Cindy and alternated with hauling a pannier. Pain in the ass until we actually saw how beautiful and secluded our spot was and it all became worth it.

1.5 miles isn't far right?

View from bridge. The start of the hike.

And I learned why backpackers pack light!

We made it.

Grateful! Slept well this night.

Mushy shot.

Even better in person.

Ate a quick meal, drank some wine and called it a night.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
speedcindy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Niagara Falls was amazing, Montreal was fun, Quebec City was European-style lovely, and as future posts will attest, Gaspe and the mountains and forests of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York were truly wonderful, but hands down, no contest, my favorite part of the trip was driving to and camping at the edge of the forest overlooking the beach of the Saguenay. Thanks to Luke's camera and his photography skills, this picture captures the beautiful scenery, however it doesn't convey the smell of the salt air, the breeze coming off the water, or the sense of calm joy, not to mention a bit of self-satisfaction in having made a simple thought back in June turn into a reality far beyond our imaginings. There are too many beautiful pictures of the beach at sunrise and sunset and midday and midafternoon to post here but to anyone looking for a vacation in North America, head directly here, do not pass go, do not collect $200. This was definitely the icing on the cake and I regret that we didn't have the chance to stay longer than a mere two days.

speedcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #24
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

The next day we decided to remain on the Saguenay for another night as we had everything all setup and didn’t relish breaking down camp and setting it up later. Besides, the spot we were at was awesome and another day here was alright with us. It was an enjoyable day, we sat on the beach reading and just basking in the sun. We made dinner over what became a flaming bonfire, which resulted in a carcinogen packed meal. Next time, perhaps, we'll let the fire die down a bit before we start cooking. The next day we were planning on heading back down towards the states, this would have meant backtracking some as the best route was towards Quebec City and Montreal. When we got to the junction of going further north and catching a ferry or south back down the way we came, I chose north. It meant a few long days of riding for us, but that was the point. To Gaspe!

It seemed our stuff always threw up everywhere we stopped for a night.

I hope you like your food charred.

Here we are waiting at the ferry to take us across the St. Lawrence. That white speck is a Beluga Whale!

I didn't mind waiting an hour.

Kayak

Better Beluga shot.

From there we headed north trying to cover the distance to Gaspe in a single day. It wasn't meant to be. It got dark and extremely cold passing overland on the 198 to Gaspe. There was construction at points where stretches of the road was deep limestone gravel. With all the weight in the back of the bike the front was extremely squirmy. Some dampening would have been nice. It was in the 40s, we each had on at least 2-3 layers and my fingers were numb. We were done for the day. It was another hour to Gaspe and I was at the point of just making camp somewhere along the side of the rode when we came upon Lac York, which I knew had camping from my research. We both were frozen and the teenager running the desk spoke very little English. Basically we had the option to camp or rent a Chalet that held 8 people. I wanted a hot shower and heat so we got the Chalet. It was a 100 bucks but it was well worth it. I had visions of getting a group of people up here and having a blast, the place seemed to be made for it.

On the way to Gaspe.

The ride around the peninsula was amazing!

I started to loathe these single lane construction areas. Reminded me of a Penndot crew, everyone standing around. Nothing like this in the states. 348 seconds?!?!?

Racing the sun.

Yeah, it was beautiful.

The Chalet the next morning.

Lac York - I can imagine some hockey being played here in the winter!

Gravel

Found a nice Pringles spot on the bike.

Opened it up here. No moose please!

It was cold, Cindy wearing every layer she had was barely able to move. Domo arigato Mr Roboto

Early next morning we made it to Gaspe! We did it!

We decided to drive around the entire peninsula and came across this in Percé, Quebec. Percé Rock!

Just inside New Brunswick. It suddenly became hot as we left the sea area. Dunking my head in the Restigouche River I believe.

Pulling off the cold weather gear.

It was a long day of riding, we made it to the border where we were asked many delightful questions.

lukeman screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 07:33 AM
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
BadWHooper
Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer: 217
Heyyyyy...

"

Wow, a RR from a local DC guy.

Who-would-thunk?"

Hey...I resemble that remark!
Okay, I live RIGHT outside the Beltway, but I used to live downtown. (check out my over-wordy under-photographed RR below )

GREAT ride report...I'm going to use it in my planning for my own trip up that way. Lots of in-city sights to help with the off-bike sights.

Solo Around Scotland (BMW R850R); AZ and UT (H-D Road King): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744536l; Death Valley & Vegas (BMW R1200GS): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926499; NW Colorado (BMW K1200GT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955168
BadWHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #26
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,625
"The cockpit. Kept the panama map in there for nostalgia."

Me too!
Still got the copy I pulled out of a Panama City phone book

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #27
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

BadWHooper do you miss riding somewhere with a little more scenery? Its all pretty flat and suburbish around DC until you get an hour or two out. Guess i'm just envious of the west coasters...

I got some funny looks when people would come over to the bike and look at the map and asked if I traveled from Panama. No that was a year or two ago.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #28
lukeman OP
Cool Hand

Finishing up.

Making a lot faster progress writing than my other report...

Once in Maine we spent the night in the town of Presque Isle. Cindy thought they had a nice park there. So we found a hotel and at dinner it dawned on Cindy that she recognized Presque Isle from the state park with the same name in Erie, PA which we passed along the way two weeks before. haha

We needed to stop for the night anyway. We had a bunch of long 500 mile days coming up to get back to DC.

We were headed to a friends in Lebanon, NH

Didn't think of Maine as being flat.

Halfway down we made it to Bowdoin College where Cindy attended.

A lovely traveling companion no?

We stopped at a local microbrewery for lunch. Had to get the lobster feast to celebrate my birthday!

Through Vermont.

Does anyone go to Killington in the summer?

Cindy used to work at the Double H-Hole in the Woods Ranch in Lake Luzerne, NY, a camp for terminally ill children that he co-founded with Paul Newman. BTW Paul Newman was a great man! So we stopped by there and met some of her old friends.

Also had to see Lake George. So tacky touristy near there, but the lake is pretty.

Ice Cream at Martha's

We camped later that evening outside of Woodstock, NY!

All the hippies never left...

We met Cindy's friend for brunch. Her first ride ever, only punched it once.

We stopped by my uncle's place in Buck's County later that day and I saw this monstrosity.

Lot of bikers around New Hope, PA

Buck's County is a jewel for riding.

From there we breezed back down to DC. Three 500 miles days in a row, we were pretty beat. 495 around DC. Most people that don't live around here probably don't know this building. Quite a site when its silhouetted in the evening, I'm sure they built it there for a reason. The Mormon temple pierces the sky.

Made it back after almost exactly 3000 miles in 16 days! Joy!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 770
great pics, i was up there over labor day weekend, didn't get as far east that you did.
the place with the chatel where was that?

btw cindy is as a real cutie,
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 120
Great RideReport!! and yes your passenger is, Hummm...pretty HOT!!
Merci Beaucoup de visiter le Québec, Thanks for visiting the Québec Province!! Revenez nous voir!!! Come back soon!! Merci!! Serge