User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Morocco: Fly-Rent-Roost 2013

Our annual motorcycle adventure for 2013 took us to Morocco. It's a place I have always wanted to visit , we had the time, so we went for it.

Untitled

Our plan for this trip was simple. We would fly in and rent a bike, pack light and go 2 up. We would also bring along camping gear for the nights we could stay out under the stars.

Buuurrrt screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 09:25 AM
Buuurrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Ride reports, especially to Morocco, are required to contain at least 75 words and two pictures. . Or everybody gets a T shirt.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Our first task was finding maps and info to help plan a route that would keep us on our toes but not be to challenging. We would be on just one bike and traveling solo with no back up from other riders. We wanted to pick a nice combination between twisty paved roads over high mountain passes and dirt routes through scenic desert terrain.

We purchased 2 maps from Amazon.com of Morocco. The "REISE Know-How" map seemed to be the map with the most detail so we left the Michelin map home.
We also purchased "Morocco Overland" By Chris Scott. This book was helpful and he did provide a couple of great ideas on linking things up and I would recommend his book to anyone looking to tour Morocco by bike.

BB planing our route out of Marrakech.Untitled

Buuurrrt screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 11:41 AM
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Subscribed. Keep it coming.
MaineScoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

On this trip we would be traveling as "Stand by travelers" which means we don't have confirmed seats on the flights taking us to Paris. From there we have confirmed seats on "EasyJet" down to Marrakech. We missed our first flight direct to Paris and we were able to get on an empty 757 headed to MSP.

This huge jet with only 9 people on board.
Untitled

We bevy in a nice spot in the MSP airport.
Untitled

The next day we catch our flight to Paris seated up front and life was good.Untitled
When they ask you if you need anything in First Class. Just Say "Yes"Untitled
We hang out in the airport all day in and catch our flight to Morocco. 48 hours of travel and we are spent.Untitled
Old 11-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
EltonAvenue
Banned

Oddometer: 544
Question

Good report up to now, but could you give us an idea of the costs involved & which rental company did you use!?!?!?!
EltonAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Finding a Bike.

During the planning stages of this trip I looked everywhere for some good information on bike rentals in Morocco. There really isn't a lot of options out there. I started contacting companies by email and only had one company get back to me.

Reda with Palm Road www.palm-road.com got back to me about renting a BMW GS800. He knew exactly what we were looking for and had a bike that would be perfect. The only problem was he wanted us to send him 600 euros to hold the bike. He had a website that was under construction and a couple of things just didn't add up. Having done many trips internationally on Motos, we have had our share of guys taking advantage of or just working a shady deal. So I told him we couldn't send him the money. With no disrespect I explained I understood if he couldn't guarantee he would have a bike when we got there but we would have to take that chance.

We woke up early and started asking around for a bike. The guys at the Riad said they would work on it. I contacted Reda at Palm Road and he couldn't meet us till 5pm.

The guys from the Riad www.dar-ourika.com hooked us up with Ali. He had a bike and was on his way. He showed up with a yamaha xt660 that would of worked but we wanted the Tenere. He had one at the office. Off we went to his place.
UntitledUntitled
He told us for 80 Euros a day the bike was ours. We got him down to 70 with new rubber, bags and a top case. I told him I still needed to meet with the Palm-road guys and would let him know. He said he would take 65. I liked his style but I said I needed to meet with Reda because he was the only one who had responded to my emails. I'm not going to say anything about the conversation I had with Reda. Let's just say he was very upset I had found another bike and ended the conversation abruptly.

That made it easy to call Ali back and tell him we would be happy to rent the bike for 70 euros a day if he completed the upgrades we needed.Untitled

Buuurrrt screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 12:08 PM
Old 11-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
rides2little
Posts2Little

Oddometer: 250
In on another Buuurrrt ride report!!
rides2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

With a bike lined up we had the rest of the day to check out the town.

Untitled

We went and checked out the tannery.
Untitled

Gnarly working conditions for these guys. I don't have the words to describe the smell.
Untitled

Then we went to the Djemaa el-Fna. The main square in Marrakech where all the action is.
Untitled
Moroccan Blue Grass
Untitled
Cheapest meal of the trip. $.40 for a great bowl of soup.
Untitled
It is not easy navigating the streets in the medina. We managed to make it back to the Riad safe and sound.
Untitled
Untitled
Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Day 1 Depart Marrakech

So I met with Ali around 9am at his place and paid him the remainder of the rental fee for the bike. We ended up paying a little more than we had hoped for a bike and definitely more than we have paid on any trip to date. But we felt good about it. When I showed up Ali had the bike ready to go. Fresh rubber, oil, bags. The bike looked great.
I rode back to grab BB and load up the bike.
Untitled
Untitled
Loaded up and ready to Roost. Hit the road around noon.
Untitled
Once we get out of town we hit smaller roads headed south. Looks just like southern Utah.
Untitled
We drive for about 2 hours and come across this guy selling rocks. This was a major delay. BB loves rocks and promised this nice man we would be back in 2 weeks to buy rocks.
Untitled
Heading up into the mountains.
Untitled
Yep crazy Voodoo truckers in Morocco.
Untitled
Great riding here.
Untitled
We make it to the Tizi-N-Test pass and pitched a tent on the summit at 7200ft.
Untitled
Enjoying the views looking south into the desert.
Untitled
About 140km of easy riding today. Good day.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
What's your opinion on the XTZ660 Tenéré for 2 up riding ? Any good ?
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Yamaha 660 Tenere

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead_irl View Post
What's your opinion on the XTZ660 Tenéré for 2 up riding ? Any good ?
I really like the 660 Tenere. Plenty of power, the suspension was good and it did great on gas. It had a 25 liter tank and fuel never seemed to be an issue. BB felt comfortable on the back with the top case to lean against.
I would consider this bike if it were sold in the USA.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buuurrrt View Post
I really like the 660 Tenere. Plenty of power, the suspension was good and it did great on gas. It had a 25 liter tank and fuel never seemed to be an issue. BB felt comfortable on the back with the top case to lean against.
I would consider this bike if it were sold in the USA.
Many thanks for the feedback !
1987 Moto Guzzi NTX 650
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Day 2: Tizi-N-Test to Tamrhakht

After a somewhat sleepless night due to dogs barking and big rigs climbing over the pass all night, we took it easy packing up camp. Loaded up we started out of the mountains headed south.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
We come out of the mountains and into the desert. Things heated up quick. So we decide to punch it for the coast.
Then we come across this scene. Goats that climb trees.
UntitledUntitled
BB thought it would be funny if they harvested goats like our friend from Michigan harvests cherries. With a big a tree shaker. The goat harvest would be great this year.
Untitled
We scratched our heads and carried on through Taroudant to Agadir. We weren't impressed with Agidir so we continued North to Tamrhakht.
Its a little tourist spot with mostly locals hanging out.
Untitled
BB picked up a cold on the flight over so we rented this "Tuff Shed" on the beach. It was comfy inside but not really our style. 400dh a night.
Untitled
Nice African sunset.
Untitled
200 km on the bike today. It was a Hot mother in the desert. Temps felt nice on the coast.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Buuurrrt OP
Adventurer

Day 3 Tamrhakht to Tiznit

Originally we had thought we would stay for 2 nights to get BB back on her feet and hang by the ocean. So had a great nights sleep and got up well rested, had breakfast and starting looking at the map and reading the book. I wanted t o head to Sidi Ifni because it is so beautiful and BB wanted to visit Tiznit because there is silver shops there. Tizinit is a short ride down the road so we checked out of our tuff shed and punched it south. We stopped in Agadir and hit the Liquor store. Something we are beginning to understand is a rare opportunity.
Stopped for a little road side snack. The road south bound was smooth, straight and fast.
Untitled
Made to Tiznit for a Harerra(its like a lentil soup) and berber whiskey (Mint tea)
Untitled
We rented a room at the Hotel Tiznit for 300dh. It was an OK room with a leaky toilet. This place ended up being the local hooch dealer. When we came back from a walk we were surprised to find out this place was full of locals boozing it up. The bar was full of men smoking and drinking cheap liquor. We decided not to join them and hit our stash up in the room.
Untitled
90km of fresh pavement. super easy riding.