Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #76
ksmdigital
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I'm lovin the pictures and thanks for making a running report of your trip.

Kevin
ksmdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #77
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Oddometer: 366
We were there about the same time. Wish we could have met you and your father. Did you make it up to 'Lookout Mountain'?

Great report.

Holler at me if yall are still close to the area. I'll buy you breakfast.

hilligan screwed with this post 08-27-2010 at 11:20 PM
hilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #78
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatt
Those "claw marks" are actually elk teeth marks. Aspen bark is a food of last resort for wintering elk.

Great Trip!
Thanks, makes a little more sense as that would be a lot of territory marking for a lion to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmdigital
I'm lovin the pictures and thanks for making a running report of your trip.

Kevin
It's actually not running....did the trip in in the first few weeks of July!

I've just been slow to type up the RR from my notes.
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #79
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilligan
We were there about the same time. Wish we could have met you and your father. Did you make it up to 'Lookout Mountain'?

Great report.

Holler at me if yall are still close to the area. I'll buy you breakfast.
Which one was Lookout Mountain?

Did you guys just roll through, or was that in July? Like I just said in the post above, we went through in early to mid July and have long since finished the trip.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #80
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 9, Storm King Campground CO to Upper Laguntias Campground NM

The nice thing about camping, especially when you go to bed early due to lack of a campfire, is being able to wake up early with ease. We awoke at 6:15am to a brisk but refreshing 45 degree morning. Some clouds were lingering overhead, which caused a brief moment of worry to my Dad, but I was positive they would blow right through. By 7:15am the bags were strapped down and we hit the dirt. Here we are pulling out of the campground.

We began to descend down a few thousand feet through some interesting landscape.

Pretty soon everything flattened out and we entered a sort of desert/open plains like landscape. It began to look a bit like what we were expecting from all of New Mexico, but this early? The roads took to a more desert feel with some softer and drier dirt, and more dust kick up. We took a brief half mile detour to check out one of the arches in the area.

Here's a better feel for what the landscape was like.

I convinced my Dad to take another rare shot of me riding.

The road narrowed up into a tight two track, which we were itching to get over with since we were starving and wanted to get to the next town for a late breakfast. Before hand however, we came across a sign that said "ROAD CLOSED". It appeared to parallel the construction of a much larger air strip. Well since we knew there was no quick way around and we also saw fresh motorcycle tire tracks in the dirt, we proceeded anyhow. By the time we crossed the larger air strip, all of the construction crew and machines were far away so it was pretty obvious that it was safe to proceed. Whew! With the temps rising, we filled up the gas tanks in Del Norte and went searching for food. A certain place called "A Restaurant" looked like a good choice. My Dad would call this a "granola" place, but I would just call it a good restaurant with natural/organic style food, something that feels like it came from the coast of California.

Wow, this was one of the best breakfasts I ever had. When it comes to breakfast, I get pretty picky but this ranks in my top three (the others being a Swedish restaurant in Andersonville Chicago, and another being in Houghton Michigan near Mich Tech). Behold sourdough French toast with real melted butter and real maple syrup. If the butter and maple syrup aren't REAL, then it's all crap as far as I'm concerned. Also not pictured is one of the best fresh fruit plates I've had too.

We also ate breakfast with two other Divide riders, Brian and Dan who were both on 1200GS's. Turns out they are from the San Fran Bay Area as well. They had started in Grants and were heading north on some pretty heavily loaded bikes.

With the temperature rising (it felt like 90+ already mid morning) we headed for Indiana Pass, which is the highest divide crossing at 11,910 feet. Cool relief is a welcome addition as we wind up the aspen trees.

What's amazing about the aspen's is how close and dense they grow. As you speed by and look to your side, you see a blur of white trunks. Almost surreal in a way.

Headed toward that mountain top mine.

A nice creek but you don't want to drink that water, even filtered.

Here is a holding pond at the top. A local lady told us this is the Summitville Superfund Site, once a bustling gold mine. Now it's all about clean up.

Cancer and certain death lie beyond this sign. Also next to the sign on the roadside creek was another sign that said "Creek Contaminated". Ya think?

Probably part of the housing from the early mining days.

It was so GREEN up here!

This is why you don't drink the water up here. Due to the high minerals up here, the water naturally has a lot of heavy metals in it.

Back to something that looks a bit more Colorado like!

We stopped in a small town south of Indiana Pass for some snacks. Not much going on here.

Some awesome views as we wind our way down to the New Mexico boarder.

Behold, the last state on the Divide Ride! Welcome to New Mexico!

The New Mexico roads started out innocent enough. I decided to play with a panoramic view. Click here for the original.

The roads started getting noticeably choppy and rutted. This begins the section notorious for stranding people when wet. Apparently it can be so bad that mountain bikers can't even get their bike out of the mud. Imagine what that must do to a ADV bike!!! Therefore, we were not amused after finding this on our route.

Turns out we took a small wrong turn, but we still had to back track though some slow rough stuff.

It was worse then this in spots. Can't go too fast, lest the bike wanders into the rut and you get ejected or taken down.

Another CDT marker.

Zoom zoom through the woods.

With more storm clouds appearing in site and lots of rough roads that were tiring me out a little, and my Dad a lot, we decided to stop at the next campground for the night. Some sections of the road were filled in with grapefruit sized rocks, which made it kind of interesting. As we pushed higher and higher towards 11k feet again, with isolated rain drops plopping down here and there from dark clouds looming overhead, I was hoping we wouldn't be stuck in a late afternoon downpour. We approached Lagunitas Campground around 5 or 6pm and decided to ride another mile down the road to Upper Lagunitas Campground. Good thing we did, because we had the entire place to ourself, situated on top of a hill. The lower campground was barley within sight, though you could hear some voices and (would you believe) a generator if you got close enough.

It ended up being one of the nicest campgrounds of the trip. Free, isolated, and lots of dry firewood laying around in piles from previous campers. Finally, a real fire!

This place was also surrounded in these tree marks...better to know now that they were just moose.

After a dinner of dehydrated camp food and some canned peaches for desert, we finished off the night with this campfire and turned in for some well deserved rest.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #81
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,409
Really enjoying your report. And the photography is outstanding!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #82
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
Great times

It was heart warming to read of the 2 of you enjoying time together.

Glad my gps tracks helped out guys !!

And the old picture of your mom and dad----priceless. It was my favorite.

I restored a 1967 BSA in the 70's---my brother in law still has it.

BigDog

Your dad will get a kick out of this----yeh ---that's me.
Attached Images

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 08-28-2010 at 07:09 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #83
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004
Which one was Lookout Mountain?

Did you guys just roll through, or was that in July? Like I just said in the post above, we went through in early to mid July and have long since finished the trip.
My mistake, we were there last week. Wish I had known you were in the area, lots of stuff to see around here. If you get back this way, holler. Be my pleasure to show you a bit of what is here. And you are right, when you got to Del Norte you were on the western edge of "the world's largest, highest, Alpine desert", The San Luis Valley.

The Lookout Mountain cutoff is not far from the Storm King road. When we were there clouds moved in and we got rained on so we didn't see much. But we did learn why it's called 'Storm King'. RUUUUUN!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #84
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Btw

Keep up the excellent report. Does me a world of good to see you enjoying your father while you can. Hope to do it with my kid some day. You're just giving me more incentive.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #85
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
It was heart warming to read of the 2 of you enjoying time together.

Glad my gps tracks helped out guys !!

And the old picture of your mom and dad----priceless. It was my favorite.

I restored a 1967 BSA in the 70's---my brother in law still has it.

BigDog

Your dad will get a kick out of this----yeh ---that's me.
That is one rad bike and photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilligan
Keep up the excellent report. Does me a world of good to see you enjoying your father while you can. Hope to do it with my kid some day. You're just giving me more incentive.

Thanks.
You're welcome. One of the goals of writing this ride report was to give people the idea to do some good riding as father and son (or mother and daughter for that matter). I was explaining the upcoming ride to a high up manager before I left the SF Bay Area and all he said was "That's nice...my father and I don't talk anymore". Didn't really know what to reply to that one, it was kind of awkward!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #86
chipwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Very much enjoying this one.

FP material IMO...

chipwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #87
conwaykram
Mark Conway AR

Oddometer: 18
Love it

Great report and pictures. What a special time to get to spend with your dad. And in such beautiful country.
conwaykram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #88
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004

One of my friends did have his Rok Strap ruined by leaking gas, which is why I was so freaked out.
How did my/your bags hold up ???

I just replaced those rok straps that got ruined. Love my new Rok Straps, using these to keep my tent rolled up tight in my bag and to hold my tent and sleeping bag to my paniers when 2 up..

Enjoying your RR... keep it up!!

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #89
isaac004 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
How did my/your bags hold up ???

I just replaced those rok straps that got ruined. Love my new Rok Straps, using these to keep my tent rolled up tight in my bag and to hold my tent and sleeping bag to my paniers when 2 up..

Enjoying your RR... keep it up!!
The bags and Rok Strap setup worked really well! I just used the skinny accessory Rok Strap around the bag, snugged it up, and it kept the bags from moving around and saved the bag straps/supports from wearing/tearing.

My Dad used the Dirt Bagz with good success.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #90
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Love the report so far, these father/son reports make me wish me dad would nut up and get a bike. Crotchety old bastard.

Random FYI for you, the school that had the shooting was called Columbine, but the town is called Littleton. The only Columbine is the one you went through.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote