User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
greginbend OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KTM Brake light issue need some help!

I am new to this forum so let me know if this requrest is in the wrong place:) I have a 07 KTM 450 EXC. I noticed that neither my front or rear brake levers activated the brake light. Put in a new bulb but still nothing. Is there a fuse somewhere for this that I am not seeing on my schematics? Or other thoughts on what this issue is?
Thanks!!!!
greginbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,576
do you have a brake light switch installed?

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
greginbend OP
n00b

Well everything is stock as this bike was sent from the factory street legal.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Look on your right handlebar by the Front Brake Perch, is the a little micro switch on the perch with some wires that go to the headlamp area? Like Skinner says, verify you have the micro switch and they appear to be functioning. There is a fuse, but the whole light would go out. Probably related the the micro switch if you know your bulb is good. I assume the tail light works right? If the tail light is working, probably not a fuse issue and related to the micro switch or the connectors from the switch etc.
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Part number 50 is the micro switch for the front brake, verify you have one, verify it is connected and then verify it is good.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
greginbend OP
n00b

Thanks I'll check that. And yes the running light works. Quick quesition. If the micro switch is bad would that make the footbrake not activate the brake light either as neither the hand or foot brake activate the brake light.
Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Some of the micro switches work different ways, but the front one on your 450 works like this, when the lever is fully out, a part of the lever hits the "button" of the microswitch and pushes it in closing the circuit, so no juice goes to the brake light. When you grab the brake lever and pull it in, the switch is released and juice goes to the brake light.

The switches can fail, in other words, when you pull in the lever the little "button" stays stuck in, so the light wouldn't work. Or there could be a short or something? Check all of the wires. Make sure the "little button" on the micro switch is not sticking, if it is, WD40 it and free it up.

On the rear, that "micro switch" is a hydraulic operated one, so when you push the brake pedal down, the hydraulic force opens the circuit and causes the brake light to come on. Both of these switches operate independent of each other so no, one broke would not stop the other from working however, if one of the switches is malfunctioning and has the brake light stuck on, then the other would not make the brake light go off, it would stay on constantly.

I have had my front one on my 07 525EXC come out of it "mount" and stop working. It is just pressed into the perch. I have had the rear one stop working and I had to replace it. The rear one is located on top of the rear brake master cyl. See pic below post, part number 6 is the rear switch

Make sure they are there, then verify connections, the test and replace if necessary.

R/Bill

firebolter screwed with this post 08-03-2010 at 10:15 AM
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
ZeeKdaGreeK
n00b

Oddometer: 1
just a lil more help pls

ok so ive looked at every forum and ive searched high and low and this is the closest ive gotten... ive converted my bike to street legal and all im missing is piece 50.. i need the piece for the front brake for the brake light to work with it... after all the research ive done im sure its the microswitch.. if im wrong pls correct me if im right plssss tell me how i can order that part... p.s. just making sure if its for my bike, i have a 2002 400 EXC.. thnx guys
ZeeKdaGreeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeKdaGreeK
ok so ive looked at every forum and ive searched high and low and this is the closest ive gotten... ive converted my bike to street legal and all im missing is piece 50.. i need the piece for the front brake for the brake light to work with it... after all the research ive done im sure its the microswitch.. if im wrong pls correct me if im right plssss tell me how i can order that part... p.s. just making sure if its for my bike, i have a 2002 400 EXC.. thnx guys
You might have trouble mounting that switch to your bike. I use this type of switch on my XC-W:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-12...rake%2c+Brembo

Much easier then mounting a mechanical switch.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
livanutz
n00b

This is an old thread but I have a new question...

I installed a brake switch on my 2013 300 xc-w and the tail light goes off when rear brake is engaged. My question is whether or not the stock tail light is capable of working as a brake light too? Do I need to purchase a new tail light? Do I have a short somewhere? Please help I have an inspection scheduled with the Colorado State Patrol Wednesday...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by livanutz View Post
I installed a brake switch on my 2013 300 xc-w and the tail light goes off when rear brake is engaged. ..........
Did you figure this out? I just had the same problem installing on a 200 xcw yesterday
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Easier with a little diagram, but..

At the bulb:

3 connections 1 each for tail and stop + and 1 for ground for both tail and stop.

At the brake switch or switches if you have front and rear:

An always hot/+ feeds the switch. A wire from the other/load side of the switch feeds the stop connection at the bulb. If front and rear switches, the load sides of each switch are tied to the same wire running back to the stop element of the bulb.

Tail/Headlight:

Always hot/+ feeds switch. From load side of switch headlight and tail light element are tied together.

NO GROUNDS THROUGH THE SWITCHES

Good luck
Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
junglemototours
trailplug

thanks brother, i'll give it another try when i'm fresh.
no snow to escape from this year?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Was down to Laughlin last month. Going back to AZ end of January. Mexico end of March. In between, I ride around Reno when temp is over 40 degrees. Snowy single track last weekend, 46 degrees, priceless!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
junglemototours
trailplug

we keep missing each other
i think i was in laughlin the week before and the week after you.
going to Costa Rica next month
Baja, hmmmm.
I was on snowy singletrack last wkend, about 47 degrees