User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #136
Hookalatch OP
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 301
Lennie's Sprockets Evaluation

I decided to make several modifications at the same time so I cannot give an evaluation of just changing the sprockets only. All the changes I made were really done more for off-road use than on but the shit-eatin grin I get on the road is a real bonus. In addition to the sprockets I changed to the Uni air filter from Oz, a Booster Plug from Denmark, and a muffler from Slovenia.

The short story is I am VERY happy with all the changes I have made and will keep using the products. Depending on how you ride your bike you may have a different experience. I credit the sprockets for most of the favorable changes in the character of the motor but the effect of the Booster Plug cannot be discounted either. The muffler and air filter might be contributing a small amount but I mainly added those items for other reasons.

The bike is a 2007 GSA. In the first 10 feet I rode the bike I noticed a big difference. The bike took off very easily and smoothly. I attribute the majority of this to the Booster Plug and some maintenance. I posted more about this in the thread about Experience with Booster Plug. Once underway and with a little bit of warmup the effect of the sprockets could be immediately felt spooling up through the gears. I knew ahead of time that actually hearing the exhaust with the new muffler would make the bike sound faster but there is no question in my mind that it pulls much harder at lower rpm than it ever did before. I ride in an area with lots of 3-5 gear turns and elevation changes. My bike spends most of its time between 3-6,000 rpm and this is where the sprockets shine. If the Booster Plug is operating as advertised (and I have no reason to believe it is not) it is surely helping when going to open loop fueling.

I don't have any dyno testing or other hard data for comparison testing. I do have one somewhat objective comparison. I don't speed a lot of time doing wheelies on this bike but I have accelerated hard on many occasions. In the past with hard acceleration in 1st gear the front wheel would dance along the ground and once in a while come off the ground a bit. It is now very easy to loft the front wheel just accelerating in 1st and to a lesser extent in second. This is not a standard measure for performance enhancement for me, just a reference point.

I was waiting to do a track day to make my evaluation and I did that yesterday. The results were less stellar. I was a little disappointed but really should not have been surprised. I was not riding the bike like I usually do. I abused that poor machine like I have never done before and spent most of my time running at MUCH higher rpm than I do on the street. By the afternoon I was much more comfortable and was running at least one gear higher around the track and more in the sprockets torque peak. I was running mainly with other BMW's and got a good opportunity to gauge acceleration through and out of the corners. I didn't get a comparison with other GS's because we were not running at the same pace. I did run with a number of other R1200's and to be honest, I could not tell that my bike gained or lost anything over them either in the morning or afternoon.

In the end, I am convinced that the changes I made make the bike better for the way I ride it the majority of the time. Some people have described the changes these sprockets make as subtle and others say dramatic. I would call them significant for my type of riding. Mark me a satisfied user.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #137
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Chuck,

Good write up and thank you for the objective report.

I am happy you have attained the results that is the main goal of selling my products.

"the shit-eatin grin I get on the road is a real bonus"

Enjoy the riding and dont get sore cheeks from that grin.
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #138
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 542
Hookalatch,

Great write up. I have almost an identical set up to yours except the sprockets. A 2007 1200 GSA with a Pipercross filter, Remus HP2 competition exhaust and Booster Plug. I've been considering the sprockets for some time and living in Utah soon I'll have a couple of months with less than optimal riding weather. Perfect time to do some winter mods.
Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #139
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica
Hookalatch,
Perfect time to do some winter mods.
You've got all the right mods, with the sprockets you'll be complete!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #140
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Rapid,

You still look to be happy from that grin.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #141
Kilo Sierra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I need to grin...

Looking forward to this.
Kilo Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #142
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie
I originally set the pricing at $200.00 per set direct sales, but whenever I try to bring on a reseller/dealer, we need to adjust pricing to allow for a reasonable profit for the reseller/dealer which is fair for the dealer with the effort they make to sell.

I have now decided to only sell direct because of this.

I dont mind a group buy if you guys are interested.
So, all orders are now through you direct, not through power freak, or boxer performance? Does the offer of a group buy still stand? What quantity would be required? What price could we get? I am willing to be a U.S. drop point to receive sprocket sets for the group members here, and then do simple cheap at-cost USPS shipping from there to those who join in, if enough people come aboard.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #143
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
So, all orders are now through you direct, not through power freak, or boxer performance? Does the offer of a group buy still stand? What quantity would be required? What price could we get? I am willing to be a U.S. drop point to receive sprocket sets for the group members here, and then do simple cheap at-cost USPS shipping from there to those who join in, if enough people come aboard.

Go get 'em Andrew. I'd interested in being part of that group.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #144
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Andrew,

Are you ex Pelican Andrew?

I can do the $200.00 price on this batch of sprockets.

The redrilling of the hole works and removes any previous stress. The hole is now 2.98 to 2.99 mm and this is in line with the original pre CNC machined sprockets.

I back all of my products and dont sell anything less than new, good product.

I sell via Boxer Performance and will only sell direct in future.

Email me direct at lenmor@activ.com.au and just use 'Cam sprockets' in the subject line as I move this to another folder as my Inbox fills with junk.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #145
J_White
should be working

Oddometer: 321
Count me "in" on the group buy please...
J_White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #146
pavement pounder
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
I like the "Sale" Idea. I do it once it a while too! After 5600+ views, there are a lot of people "looking into these". With a bunch of people buying, being happy and reporting back to us, the next year for lennie, will be as good as the last ten years, plus we'll all be happy with our new toy and brag about it and everyone will want to buy them too.

Group buy? count me in... if, of course, the price is right! No one is looking for "free" (well almost no one) only a good price off of retail. Keep in mind, a good bit of free advertising has been done by this discussion and that, I'm sure, is worth something to someone! If not the first company to make a "knock off" of your R&D.

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #147
Sergiok
Underwater Basketweaver

Oddometer: 179
I bought them less than a year ago and they were more than that. So the pricing Lennie gave above has a nice discount already so I don't know how much lower you guys are thinking in terms of 'group buy' pricing.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #148
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,944
Eh? blather?

Quote:
Keep in mind, a good bit of free advertising has been done by this discussion and that, I'm sure, is worth something to someone!.
...and your point is...?

Quote:
If not the first company to make a "knock off" of your R&D
...and what does this mean?

Quote:
...of course, the price is right!
Lennie already said,
I can do the $200 price on this batch of sprockets.

Quote:
Not clear if Lennie is opening a "group" buy to individual members ADVrider (the "group"), or is offering a more formal group buy, where all purchases are bundled into a single transaction.
I'm pretty sure it's straight forward fellas...e-mail Lennie, (lenmor@activ.com.au) he will sell you the sprockets for $200. Simpleasy.

sheesh...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #149
signit98
Nutcase... really!

Oddometer: 802
Yeah, this Andrew fella is pretty amusing...

Lennie made it pretty clear that the $200 is a discounted price, individual or group. He WILL sell ONLY direct and IMHO, the price is one people should be happy with.

But I guess some people just feel the need to "overclarify" or be "front runners"... You are a little late to the party, Andrew... let alone a little slow on comprehending. Although, you efforts are truly appreciated....

By someone, I am sure.

Been there - already forgot about it...!

Follow my Journey, pursue insanity:

www.itwasnotme.com
signit98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #150
J_White
should be working

Oddometer: 321
price sounds fine by me, I mis-understood I guess that this was for a
group... be fine to just order them myself then. Good project to have
on hand for a late-winter install when the roads are iced over.
J_White is online now   Reply With Quote