Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #166
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Gadget,

It is good this is moved.

Sorry that it turned from a thread about my products to something that is a selling thread as I have been prompted for some time to join and add my bit.

I will always be as civil as I can.

I intend to buy a GS later in the year and participate in many other threads.

All good by me.

Wiggled,

I respect your opinion and experience on this matter.

I am not a machinist by trade but I served my time as an aircraft maintenance engineer.

Once the holes are drilled and the sprocket is case hardened, the locating pin hole shrinks.

This issue is the result of a change from manual labour drilling to CNC drilling.

The one step left out from the previous machinists work is the reaming of the hole. The previous machinist Pete Smith has enough experience to know that the reaming was required because of the case hardening.

The CNC process will now have the reaming of the holes as the last step for this hole.

The product works and gets the required result of smiles in the dial.

enjoy

lennie screwed with this post 09-08-2010 at 04:40 PM
lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #167
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
you haven't a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggledbits
Obviously you have never worked with hard materials nor are you a machinist of any knowledge. Every material, every material behaves differently to the cutting tool material (HSS, Carbide, Ceramic, with coating without coating, type of coolant used, RPM, feed all factor into the equation as well as soft or hard spots in heat treated material), whether the hole is drilled from solid (most likely slight over-size) or opening an existing hole (will be under-size). Logic isn't involved as much as experience is. I suggest you stick to something you know about.

dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #168
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Mike,

I ride alone
Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #169
Sergiok
Underwater Basketweaver

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54
Lennie's got a possie.

I'm out. Too many people checking in to pimp these things. Smells bad to me.
Lennie, you should charge $400 for these and come up with a really nice logo and marketing campaign... that'll convince him!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #170
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Sergio,

Mate, I just came in to see what was happening and more of the same and that is ok.

Someone has tried a nice logo and higher than current pricing and that seems not to have worked. I seem to sell more with my low profile approach.

I am working on the marketing angle now and revamping my page to make ordering much easier.

The majority of BMW owners are conservative in making changes and they are justafiably concerned about warranty issues.

All I know is that the return on expenditure for the sprockets ($225 USD is not a lot) gives a much more useable result than a very expensive exhaust or other products.

A Laser slip on is $568 USD and is not as stealth as the sprockets.

Even PowerFrkUsa state

"This is one of the best performance enhancements for the BMW R Series Motorcycles.".

"When we developed the Power FRK Module, we didn't think things could get any better for the BMW R Bikes. That was until we found Lennie's Rocket Sprockets."

I highly respect their opinion from their experience.

I will leave it up to the individual to decide how and when they spend their money but I get lots of very positive feedback from customers even to the point of offers to stay over if I ever visit their neck of the woods.

I only need about 20 more states in the USA and I can do a tour.

I got to get to work now.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #171
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennie
Sergio,

Mate, I just came in to see what was happening and more of the same and that is ok.

Someone has tried a nice logo and higher than current pricing and that seems not to have worked. I seem to sell more with my low profile approach.

I am working on the marketing angle now and revamping my page to make ordering much easier.

The majority of BMW owners are conservative in making changes and they are justafiably concerned about warranty issues.

All I know is that the return on expenditure for the sprockets ($225 USD is not a lot) gives a much more useable result than a very expensive exhaust or other products.

A Laser slip on is $568 USD and is not as stealth as the sprockets.

Even PowerFrkUsa state

"This is one of the best performance enhancements for the BMW R Series Motorcycles.".

"When we developed the Power FRK Module, we didn't think things could get any better for the BMW R Bikes. That was until we found Lennie's Rocket Sprockets."

I highly respect their opinion from their experience.

I will leave it up to the individual to decide how and when they spend their money but I get lots of very positive feedback from customers even to the point of offers to stay over if I ever visit their neck of the woods.

I only need about 20 more states in the USA and I can do a tour.

I got to get to work now.
tent space list. any time you're in the pac nor west you have a place.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #172
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Dagwood,

Thanks and a tent space is ok.

19 states to go.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #173
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergiok
Lennie, you should charge $400 for these and come up with a really nice logo and marketing campaign... that'll convince him!
Not hardly. Maybe some hard data in a format that's common to people who test engine performance.

FanBoi testimonials don't do much for me. In my experience people who buy a product and install it on their vehicle always say it works great.

From the PowerFRK website
Quote:
"On the BMW 180 Opposed Twin it will move the power band 823 RPMs lower, resulting in significant increased torque between idle and 6200 RPM."
Really!? 823 RPMs. Not 822 and not 824 but 823 exactly. That kind of stuff just pegs my BS meter.

Looking at the charts over on that site is hysterical. They have one that shows time vs. speed that claims to demonstrate that their product improves accleration. However the slope of the 2 lines are the same so the acceleration is the same.

I've got a pill that will let you drink all the beer you want and you won't act the fool.

Seriously. The 9 degree advance these sprockets provide may be a great thing but I've got to wonder what you're giving up. Maybe some top end? Why did the engineers at BMW decide that they didn't want the cams timed there?

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #174
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,940
Don't even look at the FRK site, it's erroneous...and yes, it's clear that you loose 'some' top end. It's all about coices ain't it?

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #175
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

Mike,

I am not saying anything about the PowerFrk USA site.

I have old dyno graphs of the before and after for the R1100S and R1100RT and if I can locate them I will post on my site with the redo.

There is a minor loss at the top end but moving the peak torque 800 to 1,000 rpm lower gives you better torque and throttle response where you ride it everyday. Most of the feedback is that you can run 1 gear higher every where you ride and there is less gearbox shuffling in normal riding.

To quote the Top Gear guys about having torque where you use.

"it is better to have the power and torque where you use it for 90% of the time rather than where you use it 10% of the time".

I personally like this and take this view.

All my tuning has been for midrange and better throttle response where you ride everyday and not for the odd time you use it.

A test customer on the Pelican site for the install and ride report for the R1200S was initially disappointed with the result. 2 weeks later he was a happy man being able to wheelie at 6,000 rpms instead of 8,000 rpms. His result and the fact he was happy about it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #176
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Quote:

Seriously. The 9 degree advance these sprockets provide may be a great thing but I've got to wonder what you're giving up. Maybe some top end? Why did the engineers at BMW decide that they didn't want the cams timed there?
That one's easy. BMW is in business to sell motorcycles. Most buyers want to know "how many horsepower". Many buyers are also influenced by magazine tests, which are based on a short ride, often on the track. The manufacturer can't give up 3 or 4 peak hp rating. These sprockets will move the torque curve down the rpm scale. HP = torque x rpm, so less rpm = less hp. BMW is not going to take a 100hp engine and turn it into a 97hp engine if they can help it.

I chimed in earlier in this thread. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't run around with my R12GS at 7,000 rpm - not even 1% of the time. I have Lennie's sprockets on my 2007 R1200GS for the last few months. They do exactly as described, that being they lower the power band. I regularly ride one gear higher than before, and enjoy the low end torque. Its noticeable. I couldn't tell you if the top end power is reduced, because I don't ride in that rev range often, either before or after. It wouldn't surprise me if the 7,000 rpm torque is down a bit. I don't care.

I do all my own maintenance and valve adjustments, but would not think of tackling this installation myself. With Dealer labor and parts from Lennie, the job cost me about $500. Was it worth that, probably not, but neither was the other thousands of dollars of farkles on my motorcycles.

CarSalesman screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 08:43 PM
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #177
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Not hardly. Maybe some hard data in a format that's common to people who test engine performance.

FanBoi testimonials don't do much for me. In my experience people who buy a product and install it on their vehicle always say it works great.

From the PowerFRK website

Really!? 823 RPMs. Not 822 and not 824 but 823 exactly. That kind of stuff just pegs my BS meter.

Looking at the charts over on that site is hysterical. They have one that shows time vs. speed that claims to demonstrate that their product improves accleration. However the slope of the 2 lines are the same so the acceleration is the same.

I've got a pill that will let you drink all the beer you want and you won't act the fool.

i'll be damned if i pay for crap and say its chocolate.

mike, im not sure if your into this for arguements sake (as seems to be common around here) or really want to know... but if you get past the fanboi jargon, and realize that if the things didnt work few of us would bother to lie for this guy, and likely we would all be throwing BS flags, all you get here is guys who put them on and report the same thing. power band shifted down a Klik on the tach. little loss at the top end that few use on a GS.

other than that, its a buy it and try it mod. yes, the claim of 823 rpm is a little weird. but thats about 1k isnt it? Research timing advance in the internal combustion engine for performance gain, regardless of what engine, and you will learn that timing can be adjusted to maximize the performance of a given engine at a given range of rpms. it isnt VooDoo, and Lennie jsut did all the leg work.

peace.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #178
wiggledbits
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Lennie's got a possie.

I'm out. Too many people checking in to pimp these things. Smells bad to me.
My comments as crude as they may be were not a defense of Lennie or his sprockets. It was to correct someone spouting incorrect info. Although I no longer work as a machinest 20 plus years of working in that field taught me something.

Disclaimer;
I have purchased a pair of these sprockets for my 04 1100S but have not received them as yet. I hope they perform and expect them to as well as I have read about. I'm am on the top of the pipe very little so they should work great for my purposes.
wiggledbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #179
wiggledbits
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
you haven't a clue.
And you have never made a chip in your life. I can tell from you comments. Stay in the Couve, no need to venture South of the river.
wiggledbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #180
lennie
Gnarly Adventurer

wiggled,

where are you based?

did you buy from me as I see no connection to your real name?