User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
LookingForAdventure OP
Long Distance Voyager

Oddometer: 99
Motorcycle Tour of the Alps

Here is my ride report from a motorcycle trip I did around the Alps this past summer.

I was going to post a normal ride report with the usual photos and comments but that format I thought was too restrictive, as I wanted to create more of a virtual experience for the reader. So I have posted my videos, photos and maps onto my website.

http://www.ride4adventure.com/Alps/

[/URL]
"Of the gladdest moments in human life is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the Slavery of Home, man feels once more happy. The blood flows with the fast circulation of childhood. Afresh dawns the morn of life"
- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Ride4Adventure

Visit my website http://www.ride4adventure.com/

LookingForAdventure screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 11:24 AM
LookingForAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Bluesjammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Very nice website. You've got a great eye for capturing the towns you passed through. Also great scenic mountains and flowers. What camera were you using, great colors and clarity.

Steve
Bluesjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
tingavert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Great website, great videos. I was almost crying... For an italian living in Toronto it's hard to watch these kind of reports.
I 'd like to point out just one important thing: keep off from the centerline.
I know you'll say that there is no centerline, but you (or whoever will travel around the alps) might kill youself or some cyclist. I know that here in Canada everyone tells you to stay in the left track etc.. but not there. And keep off the edge (because of gravel- you do not want to slide there), in the middle of your "lane" (imagine one). I saw busses coming up and down from a similar road as narrow as the Passo dello Stelvio.

See you on the road.
tingavert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
LookingForAdventure OP
Long Distance Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingavert View Post
Great website, great videos. I was almost crying... For an italian living in Toronto it's hard to watch these kind of reports.
I 'd like to point out just one important thing: keep off from the centerline.
I know you'll say that there is no centerline, but you (or whoever will travel around the alps) might kill youself or some cyclist. I know that here in Canada everyone tells you to stay in the left track etc.. but not there. And keep off the edge (because of gravel- you do not want to slide there), in the middle of your "lane" (imagine one). I saw busses coming up and down from a similar road as narrow as the Passo dello Stelvio.

See you on the road.
I know that some of of the videos look like I am riding in the centre of the road but that is only because the video camera was mounted on a bracket near the left mirror mount, so you are getting the perpective from where the camera was position and not from the rider's view and with a wide angle lens it tends to make anything coming into the frame appear closer than it really is.
"Of the gladdest moments in human life is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the Slavery of Home, man feels once more happy. The blood flows with the fast circulation of childhood. Afresh dawns the morn of life"

Ride4Adventure

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 538
Wonderful trip, beautiful pics and great website. Job very well done

BTW, me & wife also did almost the similar preparations & research for our Alps trip. Just that we started from Munich and rented from Karl Maier. We were there from 18-25 May 2010.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Great website and ride report!

How did you do that?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
Bury_Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
GREAT report. Well done. That sets a pretty high standard for the rest of us to follow

Those cyclists ono some of the narrower roads looked pretty scary !

Dave
Bury_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Thanks, that a great presentation.

I'm shipping my K11RS to Heidelberg with Stephan Knopf. The Bike ships in March, I'll go in June. All my dealing with Knopf tours have been very good. Your report had made the wait till June more difficult.

Regards, Paul
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #9
LookingForAdventure OP
Long Distance Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesjammer View Post
Very nice website. You've got a great eye for capturing the towns you passed through. Also great scenic mountains and flowers. What camera were you using, great colors and clarity.

Steve
My videos were taken with a Canon FS30. Its just a standard definition camera. Has built in electronic stabilization which is essential for any motorcycle mounted camera. If you have the money I would go for a HD camera. I use RAM mounts for attaching camera to bike, they work great.
My DSLR is a Nikon D70

Ride4Adventure