Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Whip
Onward through the fog

Oddometer: 605
[QUOTE=stou;15286813]I finally found the wire to disconnect!!! On the 990R, it's the brown/black wire.

I tried to disconnect what the could be 18 pin wire with no luck. Since there's no pink and no brown/grey wire, I tried the purple, it doesn't work. Finally, it was the brown/black one.

So to adjust the wheel size on a 2010 990R Adventure,

1- press MODE to go to TRIP 1
2- Hold the MODE key for around 10 sec
3- It will show actual wheel size. Use the MODE key to increase the wheel size and the SET key to decrease it
4- Hold the MODE and SET key to exit

The default size on the 990R is 22.05 for the 21" wheel. I did some research on ADV and it look like the size for a 19" is 20.00. I can't ride because of the snow here so I can't confirm that this is the good size.

QUOTE]

Done

Shazam!

Thank you from San Antone.

L

I'm their leader...Which way did they go???
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
jak0395
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2007 690 SM Speedo wheel size adjust

On my 07 690 SM I removed the brown and black wire and my speedo unit went dead! So I put the wire back on an still no lights!
Tested it carfully the unit and checked the fuse and still no lights. The unit seems to be dead. There was no short or any think eventfull during my attempt to adjust the speedo. Maybe there is and anti tamper system on this bike?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Be carfull
jak0395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
TerraThumper
Meesta Fwank

Oddometer: 10
awesome

Can't wait to try procedure on my '09 990 w/abs. I'll confirm success when completed.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #19
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Can anyone confirm resetting front wheel size on 950/990's with older style dash (I have an 07). If so, what was the wire?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
For the older ones, 03-08, there is no wire. It's a trick with the buttons. You only have three choices, 21, 19, 17. Hold down the Mode button for a long time while in the main Odo? It's in the workshop man.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
For the older ones, 03-08, there is no wire. It's a trick with the buttons. You only have three choices, 21, 19, 17. Hold down the Mode button for a long time while in the main Odo? It's in the workshop man.
Thanks, I know about that one. I was hoping to correct the rather inaccurate speedometer/odometer.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #22
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,699
I know that. On my 950 Adv, it would read 10.4 mi in 10 miles, and the speedo would read 60 for 55 mph.

I needed something better for dual sport events and laying out rides. So, I added a TrailTech digital speedo. Had to put the sensor on the RH side of the front wheel so the magnet wouldn't effect the other speedo. Very simple to drill and tap a m8 hole in the brake backing plate and glue on a magnet. Was accurate down to 50 ft.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I know that. On my 950 Adv, it would read 10.4 mi in 10 miles, and the speedo would read 60 for 55 mph.

I needed something better for dual sport events and laying out rides. So, I added a TrailTech digital speedo. Had to put the sensor on the RH side of the front wheel so the magnet wouldn't effect the other speedo. Very simple to drill and tap a m8 hole in the brake backing plate and glue on a magnet. Was accurate down to 50 ft.
Good idea, I've used a Vapor and Vector on two other bikes.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
Old 01-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #24
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by stou View Post
I finally found the wire to disconnect!!! On the 990R, it's the brown/black wire.

I tried to disconnect what the could be 18 pin wire with no luck. Since there's no pink and no brown/grey wire, I tried the purple, it doesn't work. Finally, it was the brown/black one.

So to adjust the wheel size on a 2010 990R Adventure,

1- press MODE to go to TRIP 1
2- Hold the MODE key for around 10 sec
3- It will show actual wheel size. Use the MODE key to increase the wheel size and the SET key to decrease it
4- Hold the MODE and SET key to exit

The default size on the 990R is 22.05 for the 21" wheel. I did some research on ADV and it look like the size for a 19" is 20.00. I can't ride because of the snow here so I can't confirm that this is the good size.

Can someone can confirm that 20.00 is the right size for 19" wheel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawty950 View Post
Just went thru my 07 dash...(i have 17"s as well as the 21/18) and change quite often.

The old speedos have the Inch and the other circumference in mm's

21" - 2205 mm
19" - 2040 mm
17" - 1882 mm

I just confirmed with a tape that the rolling circumference of my 21" front is within half a cm of being 2.205 m

Shawty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenzoDuc848 View Post
Dear all,

I recently super moto'd my 690 Enduro R (2011 model) and soon found out that the speedo needed calibrating so I tralled the internet and found so many forums saying to cut either a grey/brown wire or a pink wire.
Well I took my bike to my dealer as they offered to do it for free after speaking to KTM Austria who advised them the same thing that has been seen on these forums, well I am sorry toi say that it failed to recalibrate, but I have done it today myself and I am here to tell you there is no need to cut any wires and it only took me 5 minutes to sort it..
Take the light mask off.
Coming out of the instrument panel are a load of wires going to various blocks.
The block you want has 8 wires going into it and one of these is pink. (colour may change but deffo an 8 pin block on a 2011 690 Enduro R
Disconnect the block.
Turn the ignition on
ensure display shows trip 1
Hold mode down for 10 seconds
the word length will show on the clock and a 4 digit number something like 2205 this is the circumference of the 21" wheel with tyre.
using the trip reset switch will decrease this number 1 digit at a time
You need it to read 1870
then press mode and reset buttons together
turn ignition off, plug your connector back in, refit light mask and job done with no cutting.

It's better to burn out than to fade away!
This needs a bump and subscription.....I did the recalibration on my 690e when I put on the SM wheelset.....it worked as described.....great info to have for the bikes....and it can be tough to find the correct answers....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #25
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
If anyone here is still trying to figure out or confirm the process for a 990 (mine is a 2012R), do a search for my name "along at" and look for my speedo and / or my Alpina wheel conversion threads - I've successfully calibrated my speedometer / odometer after the 19/17 install (and later on I fine-tuned the calibration on the speedo / odo) - it is the process with the wire removal / cutting behind the gauge cluster; works like a charm...

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote