User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #406
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Which years are preferrable?

I'm checking out Norge as a comfortable commuter and sport touring bike. The girlfriend wants to be comfy first, and go fast second. I want something with some charm and that is different (not yet ready for a Harley). Which years should I be considering? I would like good handling, including braking, reasonable power and reliability, so I can travel without excessive worry. Thoughts?

By the way, I am 6'1" and she is probably 5'2". I am thinking used at the moment.

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #407
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,035
2008 or newer would be a good bet
I'm 6'2" so you should be happy.
short money for used generally speaking

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #408
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
I would think that a Norge would cover all your requests. I own an 08 as well and both the GF and I find it to be a very satisfying motorcycle. The longer you own it the more you like it in spite of a few quirks.
BTW I'm 5'8" and she is 5'2"
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #409
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
I would think that a Norge would cover all your requests. I own an 08 as well and both the GF and I find it to be a very satisfying motorcycle. The longer you own it the more you like it in spite of a few quirks.
BTW I'm 5'8" and she is 5'2"
What are the quirks that you've noticed?

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #410
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
There are some great buys on '08's and '09's. I have 16,000 on my '08 and the bike is still going strong.
A few weeks ago I experienced the red triangle. It was there for the first 2 miles. Then I stopped at a friend's house, and when I started it up the red triangle was gone. No problems since, but it is cold up here and too much rain to get out!
Try one out and see if it fits you.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #411
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
The last thing I would want to do is scare you off from at least checking a Norge out.

I lost one of the side stand bolts while we were on a ride, but I did know of this prior and should have addressed this earlier before it happened.

The Norge requires 10w60 motor oil which is kinda pricey, but then again most synthetic oils are anyway. To check the oil on 08-09 you have to remove a rubber plug on the L side fairing to get to the dipstick. The 07 didn't even have the rubber plug. The 8v Norge has a access panel.

The suspension is a little on the soft side for aggressive sport riding but, better tires than stock make a world of difference and dial in max. preload

Over all I really love this bike and have no regrets buying it.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #412
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
What are the quirks that you've noticed?
If you read the first five or six pages of this thread, virtually all the quirks of the early Norge are addressed. Remember, Loctite is your friend.

jdg <-- '07 Norge, 36,000miles of wonderful riding.
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #413
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,201
Possibly a center stand would have avoided scenario # 3.
I have never idled any bike on the side stand for just that reason.Sorry that happened to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
I have "dropped" my Norge 3 times. First when I had it for 2 days and I had my wife on the back. I stopped short and the bike went down on some gravel. My rear saddle bag got some nicks and my ego took a hit. My wife's knee was sore for awhile. I did the same thing solo on the same side (left). No damage. then the bike did one all by it's self. I was idling and warming up the engine and the bike crept forward and the kickstand went under.
All three times the handle bar end took all of the impact and the fairing has a couple of scratches where you can't see them. I do not know how the crash bars would help.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #414
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Senario #3 was when I was offloading my bike in Tiberon CA. on a street that I was not familiar with. I was warming up the bike while parked on a slight downward slope toward the gutter. I turned around and boom. it was over. I usually do not warm up the bike with the center stand.
Note to self. Do not park the bike on a slight downward slope.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #415
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,201
Further back?It's in the next country already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
Do you find the addition of the top box cuts into the passenger's space at all, ie do you feel it should have been located further back ??
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #416
Scott of the Sahara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I actually moved it back (about 1 1/2 ")as far as it would go to give my wife extra room.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #417
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb 2011 Norge..the fastest color.....

Somewhat new to the forum, somewhat newer the Norge but I'll chance a reply anyway. Been lurking here for awhile. I'm away from home and after reading the various stories and escapades of some riders, I had my mind set on a KLR. Solid tractor like performance with farkles of all kinds available at almost any Walmart or similar store. As I was reading the stories, I ran across one of a guy riding a Norge. Hmm, never heard of them. Must be a bike that really isn't good or popular. I did like the pics he posted but I didn't think that meant much. I've liked the looks of lots of bikes I never really wanted. As I read more on a few other forums, my opinion changed. I wanted one. Fast forward a few months and my R&R is coming soon so I went on the hunt. I found an 11 model in Texas. Less than 3k miles and it is black That was the one I was looking for. All that and it had the factory trunk. I was hooked. I flew in to my home and a day later got on another plane to go and bring it home. I've been riding for about forty plus years. Damn that makes me sound old. Had a lot of bikes of about all different types and makes. This is the most fun and comfortable bike I've ever owned Made a flying trip home and rode every chance I could until I flew back to here. This is a bike that I would never sell and I know now that I will have another MG or two in the garage soon. Still no KLR but I will get one of those too one of these days. The Norge is a great bike but we need to make sure and not tell anyone else about them. Let's keep them all to ourselves....
Probably not practical I guess. Ahh well. what the hell? They are an awesome bike with few flaws that I can find. My observations aren't based on years of riding one but from 2000 miles of hard riding before I left home again. Maybe in time I will find something I don't like, for the first 2k, I would say not a thing so far. Gas it and go and have fun..
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #418
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,292
Black? BLACK??? And the truck too??

Wonder what color boxers you wear?

Welcome to the Norge Club. But you've been misinformed about the color. Red is the one.

DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #419
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,832
Sure is purdy ...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #420
blacktruck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Black? BLACK??? And the truck too??

Wonder what color boxers you wear?

Welcome to the Norge Club. But you've been misinformed about the color. Red is the one.
Yep, the truck too. Boxers??? Who has time for underwear????
I've heard unsubstantiated rumors about the red color. Damn sure is purty.....