User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Oddometer: 8
New AV Rider

I am new to adventure riding; and by new, I mean yesterday was my first real ride. I've been on Mx bikes most of my life either on the track or in the desert, but I have always shied away from street riding. About a year and a half ago my buddy talked me into attending a local motor cycle safety program and from that I got my M1 but did very little with it. I rented a couple of bikes and went on very short trips(less than 80 miles) I had fun , but street riding did not inspire me with the same passion as dirt riding does.

Recently, the same buddy picked up a used KTM 990 and told me about this web site, and I must say I was intrigued. This type of riding looked great and you all guys’ appear to be very tight; much like the MX community.

Onto the ride, I picked up a KLR 650 from a local rental shop in San Bernardino Ca. The idea was to find as many different challenges that I could cram into one day, and really see if this is something I could do. I also wanted to travel at least 200 miles for the day.

I left SB and headed west up the 91 Fwy with many of my new four wheel friends, the weather was clear and hot 90 plus with high humidity . After death gripping the handlebars for the first 30 miles or so I got onto the 241 Toll Road south and left many of the 4 wheel friends behind. It was interesting on how much you need to think about things out there, like getting money out to pay the toll before the car behind you runs your ass over.

After a total of 58 Miles I hooked up with my buddy in Orange County. We headed east threw residential areas and out to Trabuco Canyon where we hit some winding mountain roads. We continued to "O’Neil Park" and after a short break at small country store where we met Rick the Harley guy; We headed up a dirt fire road towards Holly Jim Fire department, located in the Cleveland National Forest. I felt at home again being back on the dirt, The trail is on slight up-hill grade as you follows along a river bed, which is mostly dry this time of year. This was one of the best parts of the trip. After dodging Killer bee’s and riding some great trails we left there dirt and headed for Silverado Canyon for some more mountain road riding.

The time was getting late and I now knew I would also be adding riding at night on a freeway to this trip. We stopped for some dinner and took a short ride to San Clemente CA. At this point it was time to say goodbye to my friend and complete the last leg of my Day Trip on my own.

I got on to the 5 Fwy south headed for the 76 Hwy east. It was a nice ride down the coast. A warm night (Good thing too because I only had a Sweatshirt on) and I could smell all the camp fires on the beach. Night riding is a little different, in some ways you can see better and in others you can’t. After 50 minutes and another 60 Miles I had made it passed the 200 mile mark as I entered Temecula California. This was a great feeling but I had hit the point where I didn’t want the trip to end. It was a good thing that I still had another 16 miles before I got home.

This trip was awesome and without a doubt the best way to spend a day off. I am looking forward to the next trip which is already in the planning stage. Quail Valley CA to Boulder City Nevada. Around 308mile for the Day.

A few Things I learned on this Trip:

Rental Bikes are as much fun as others. Rental Helmets always suck
Make sure you bring a Jacket; rental Company may not have one. Buy a New Helmet
The smell of camp fires on a warm summer night is Cool. The smell of a dead animal on warm summer night NOT Cool
“I would not like to ride next to me when I’m driving a car”. Need to really work on that.
And last but not least, I’m glad I brought a camera …now I just need to remember to use it.

MX Mike
MX Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,750
Funny, I could have sworn that ride was on Sat. Don't tell my boss I was riding with you yesterday K?

Glad to see you found your way here Mike.

Were gonna need to include more dirt next time though.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX Mike
.... I had hit the point where I didn’t want the trip to end....
I love that feeling.

Welcome to ADV.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
I love that feeling.

Welcome to ADV.
Yep, it is a great feeling! Welcome to the insanity here at ADV.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
ybracing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Welcome to the asylum Mike. It is a great feeling knowing that you have just completed a long distance ride. The only problem with it is, it's addictive. Start looking for a good used bike and we will see you on the trails.
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
drsales
Wondering Why

Oddometer: 385
Nice to have you aboard. But pictures are a requirement.

Have fun and ride safe!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
I love that feeling.

Welcome to ADV.
Thanks and Cheers
Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretedge
Yep, it is a great feeling! Welcome to the insanity here at ADV.
It was great, Thanks Bret. The Insanity has begun.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing
Welcome to the asylum Mike. It is a great feeling knowing that you have just completed a long distance ride. The only problem with it is, it's addictive. Start looking for a good used bike and we will see you on the trails.
Thanks Ybracing, The trip was allot of fun and the search has begun, It may be a little while yet, but I hope to have bike in the near future.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsales
Nice to have you aboard. But pictures are a requirement.

Have fun and ride safe!

I will make sure to get some photos on the Nevada Ride, and Thanks for the Welcome. Cheers Drsales
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Funny, I could have sworn that ride was on Sat. Don't tell my boss I was riding with you yesterday K?

Glad to see you found your way here Mike.

Were gonna need to include more dirt next time though.
I was out at Johnson Valley and found a great Ghost Town, may be gould practice before Nevada...
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX Mike
I was out at Johnson Valley and found a great Ghost Town, may be gould practice before Nevada...
Sounds good, I've always wanted to do a ghost town ride. In Vegas right now be back on Wed but I'll be checking in from time to time and of course you have my cell.

Picked up some crashbars too so I can mount some highway pegs. Now I just need a nice comfy seat!!
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
MX Mike OP
MX Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
Sounds good, I've always wanted to do a ghost town ride. In Vegas right now be back on Wed but I'll be checking in from time to time and of course you have my cell.

Picked up some crashbars too so I can mount some highway pegs. Now I just need a nice comfy seat!!
Cool have fun in Vegas.... Yep the Seat is crucial....