Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #1591
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
$40 + shipping for something that was crap when they cam out, I could see $20 for the pair.

Thanks for a crapy product and a cash grab to fix a defect (that should be a warrantee issue

For sale one working 24W and one dead 24W WITH FUCKING CRAPY MOUNTING HARDWARE No reasonable offer reused.

I am going to get a set of quality Clearwater LED lamps, Made in the USA, not china crap with Fucked up mounting hardware and poorly constructed lamps.

PS I did no ride off road at all before that hardware broke, Hell I doubt I had 1k on them. Cheap Crap
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #1592
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Rider View Post
Is there any "relief" in price for those that have already purchased the lights?
Yes, please contact dave@advmonster.com for details. If you've already purchased the HD brackets, please contact me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
Is there a discount to buy a light together with a heavy duty bracket? I've got no need for the standard bracket if I order the heavy duty one.
Should be up on the website soon.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #1593
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Should I let the cat out of the hat??

I have a pair of the 24w watts.

This lights are all made in China. They cost $12 a unit plus shipping to import them. Usually a minimum order of 100 units is required to get them. Cost at the border is about $14-$15 dollars with shipping.

What are they?..... they are originally aquarium lights. As simple as that. You don't have to believe me, but it's just the truth...

I've watched this thread for quite a while after I purchased mine but opted not to say anything.

My light glass broke while I was cleaning it a while back. I purchased a replacement from Sanjoh for $20. His assitant quoted me $20. Sanjoh quoted me $10 a day later. But I had already made the payment.

The brackets also broke without falling. But did I complain? no ... because I knew they were aquarium lights.

If you're asking me, that's not good business. And yes, it made me unhappy.

Yes I knew they were aquarium lights. And I bought them anyhow. The price was low (back then) and took a chance.

But looking at this thread and some of the experiences of customers, someone needs to tell the truth about what these lights really are and let people decide for themselves.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #1594
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 294
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #1595
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Please keep it civil.. if you're dissatified with Sanjoh's products, you might want to contact him by PM first..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #1596
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
Civilly speaking,

aquarium lights?

Do fish need the light for heat or for reading?

Civilly, of course. Or maybe these were for really large feesce?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #1597
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday View Post
Civilly speaking,

aquarium lights?

Do fish need the light for heat or for reading?

Civilly, of course. Or maybe these were for really large feesce?

Well, actually fish and for that matter, most aquatic plants and animals are highly dependent on light. In a simple round about way, light provides algae which provides a food source for smaller fish which feed larger fish which then moves up the food chain. In a marine aquarium, enthusiasts can spend 2/3 a budget for a maine aquarium setup on lights alone!! Hundreds of $$$$$$. Good lighting is at the top of the list!

You asked.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #1598
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
Thanks for the fish light education, I did not know !

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #1599
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
A Few Thoughts

I've been lurking on this thread for a short while and even more so since I bought model 30 lights from gonzo2k. I was thinking about buying the 40's (and still am). I understand bikto to be clarifying is that these are lights that in his opinion are similar to the aquarium lights (also boat lights) he found in China. This may be so but (and this is what I would like to clarify) manufacturing in china uses the same housing and components for many different things. The main thing is the housing yet there are a number of places to get components and not all come from China. My company imports thousands of LED lights from china but our important bits come from the US or Germany. The housing is the same for a $10 LED Chinese light but the digital chip we use costs $13. The main difference is quality, one is 130 lumen and the ours is 280 lumen. One falls apart after a long camping trip ours lasts for years. Granted, same housing and they look the same, weigh the same, feel the same but they are NOT the same. Ours you get an UN-conditional guarantee, (yes even with the better quality components ours fail too) theirs you get no warranty other than buy another and try your luck.

I do not know sanjoh but I'm guessing he has put a lot into his light. He offers cap covers and accessories as well as support when someone asks him directly. He has addressed the mounting issue and hopefully it works. There are a few disgruntled inmates on here but there are many that their story turned around once they got the right answers.

The thing I've come away with here is 1) this is not a high end commercial product it is a work in process 2) buying a discount LED to save a few bucks over D2's is an individuals choice 3) Supporting another inmates efforts in bringing product to us is a personal choice. Sanjoh I'm sure has made very little money (if any) at this considering the time it takes to deal with issues, find solutions and continue to better his product. These have only been on here for a little over a year. Development takes time.

Clearly the next stage of this is for Sanjoh to step up his game or tell as all where to get off. Maybe both.
A $20 upgrade may seem steep but is it when there is not a large volume. I would think with time and costs of developing a bracket he is making no money at all. If it were easy you would all have made your own.

IMHO just my two cents

These are my opinions and I have no affiliation with Sanjoh or his company. No animals were hurt during this post and my localized environment was kept in tack for future generations of SantaRosa's.
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #1600
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikyto"
This lights are all made in China. They cost $12 a unit plus shipping to import them. Usually a minimum order of 100 units is required to get them. Cost at the border is about $14-$15 dollars with shipping.
Then I'm sure that you'll make a killing selling them here for $30.

What, you don't want to do all that work for no profit?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #1601
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
Please keep it civil.. if you're dissatified with Sanjoh's products, you might want to contact him by PM first..
I did two weeks before posting my discontent, still waiting on a response
Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #1602
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluByU View Post
I did two weeks before posting my discontent, still waiting on a response
Nada nothing zip in my pm from you.

PM sent with contact information.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #1603
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,880
Best aquarium lights ever !!!

I have been using those light for months now, over 10,000 miles on my 990. I mounted them under the head light with Vegabond's kit and no problem since the first day, ok maybe after the first week where I checked the connections.
We had a nigtht ride over Rowher Flats from 6:00 pm to 12:00 midnight on all kinds of roads, pavement, fire roads, single tacks, etc. And I laid the bike down as well...
I think I am one of the "lucky" ones then. My brackets are as good as the first day. Only mod I did to them is put a spacer as one of the inmates suggested here. I'm not even sure I need the heavy duty ones yet. But maybe I'll get them for my still brand new 44's. I got them as soon as they came out (months ago) but still didnt replaced the old ones. I know I am lazy...
Bottom line is I dont care if they are aquarium lights or refrigerator lights, they work for me on a heavy duty Adv bike. That's why I got the new 44's.
Thanks Sanjoh, for the "best aquarium lights ever"...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #1604
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Nada nothing zip in my pm from you.

PM sent with contact information.
Yes I E-mailed you (I replied to the previous E-mails regarding replacement of the original brackets that broke)
Old 09-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #1605
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,203
I got my 44's mounted finally .... cant wait to get them in the fishtank
.When will the upgraded brackets come down a lil in price for those of us who brought them long ago ?

mine mounted on my xrr
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote