Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #1711
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
1. this light is designed for under water. It requires a bigger heatsink for sustained usage in air or movement.
2. the bracket is designed for a fish tank, and they passed on the original bracket for use on a motorcycle. It is clearly going to fail but is a matter of time and frequency of the engine.
3. the lights they sell exhibit LED burn, indicating they are using the same internal electronics.

If you're happy to take their word for it then fine. I'll keep my scepticism until proved otherwise with proper evidence.
1. The heatsinking is completely adequate for motorcycle use provided there is airflow. This has been tested by numerous owners. If you're not moving for a while, of course they should be turned off or dialed down using a dimmer. If using a dimmer with the full-power-on-HI-beam feature (recommended), I would dim the lights to 20-40% of their power on the LO-beam mode, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic, then there would be much less heat during city driving, thus no need to make any adjustments to the lights when stopped at a traffic light etc.
2. The bracket problem has been addressed by the heavy duty bracket which is now available. I agree it should have been addressed earlier / from the start, but better late than never.
3. There is some % of failure, judging by the owners' reports, which may or may not be caused by LEDs overheating. As far as I know, John is handling these warranty cases gracefully. In my earlier post I gave a link to an earlier post by Patobravo, who did a complete tear-down on these lights, there are photos of the internal electronics there, and also his test results. He tested the lights and the heat protection worked. Just read his post.

I've just tested one of the Model 44 lights myself with a lab power source. It's quite cold in my room so it took around 10 minutes for the overheat protection to trip. The initial current was 1.40A@13.3V, then it dropped to 0.51A@13.3V (voltage was chosen rather arbitrarily). I stopped testing after several more uneventful minutes. You probably can't see the lower brightness in the second photo, these photos were taken from a phone.

Any more doubts? Gotta face the facts, man - there is overheat protection there :)

heilong screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 08:40 AM
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #1712
FJRJO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Bluhduh Lightning

Love this thread can never get enough opinions on one subject. It will it will not it will it will not it will it will not told you so !
Attached Images

FJRJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1713
snoopy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
You are obviously right on the overheat protection, I will find out tomorrow if this comes with all 24w lights (it doesn't with the 9w and 11w versions). I was told none did by a Chinese gent who also buys them from the factory but the language barrier gets in the way.

Also your lights are using 18.62W, given a 90% efficiency rate for the switch-mode indicates your 24W lights are using 16.8W of power. What's going on there? You'll find they overheat a lot quicker at there rated power. Air flow onto the front glass will not help much, personally I'd stick with the 11W version with its consistent light output (even if its not as much).

Where's this picture of the internal circuit and I'll tell you if they did modify it.

http://www.andrewcharnley.com
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #1714
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
You are obviously right on the overheat protection, I will find out tomorrow if this comes with all 24w lights (it doesn't with the 9w and 11w versions). I was told none did by a Chinese gent who also buys them from the factory but the language barrier gets in the way.

Also your lights are using 18.62W, given a 90% efficiency rate for the switch-mode indicates your 24W lights are using 16.8W of power. What's going on there? You'll find they overheat a lot quicker at there rated power. Air flow onto the front glass will not help much, personally I'd stick with the 11W version with its consistent light output (even if its not as much).

Where's this picture of the internal circuit and I'll tell you if they did modify it.
What are the 9/11w versions you are mentioning? A link?
ADV Monster doesn't advertise these "Model 44" lights as 24W, but their description mentions they use 1.8A@12V; mine use less, and I am indeed curious about it. I've got 4 of these lights, I've tested them all and they use from 1.54A@12V to 1.61A@12V. I've e-mailed John and Dave with these findings.
Even though heatsinks are on the back of the lights, airflow does cool them well, this is tested and confirmed.

Pics of the internal pcb, you can also see the separate heat-sensing switch connected with two black wires:

Photos taken from this very informative post about the first version of the lights (these were called the single-mode 24W flood lights): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=305
Old 11-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #1715
snoopy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I'm trying to find the Chinese lad I bought the 9W and 11W models from, bloody Paypal has deleted all history before May...

Totally different driver circuit in the 9w and 11w. Is anything stopping your circuit from shorting on the walls?, the 9W/11W driver is better made and shrink wrapped to boot.

Plausible reason for your 18W is probably because most larger current limiting chips like the LM series are rated 5A or just a little over. CREE chips take 3V-3.4V. Would need two driver circuits to do 24W. Read off the numbers on those chips and I'll let you know.

PS) Those wires are not through hole soldered. Being that the board is free to move even slightly means those solder points are going to break.

http://www.andrewcharnley.com
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #1716
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Snoopy, maybe you could shit all over this vendor in private or something.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #1717
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
I'm trying to find the Chinese lad I bought the 9W and 11W models from, bloody Paypal has deleted all history before May...
You keep bagging on this vendor about this light and now you are bringing up some crap you bought on eBay a year ago. Seriously?

I assume this will get pruned from this thread, because it isn't relevant and you may get a vacation out of the deal. I would kill people if I worked retail.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #1718
Cmyers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
Snoopy, maybe you could shit all over this vendor in private or something.
My exact thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
You keep bagging on this vendor about this light and now you are bringing up some crap you bought on eBay a year ago. Seriously?

I assume this will get pruned from this thread, because it isn't relevant and you may get a vacation out of the deal. I would kill people if I worked retail.
I agree and hope the crap does get flushed from this thread.

While no product is perfect, at least have this vendor's product before trashing it and the vendor.

Living Life in the Wind
Cmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #1719
bluzman
BluezMan

Oddometer: 68
I am using the dispatch1 as my dinner, like i said i dont do wireless fobs, cant/wont adjust while riding.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #1720
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
I am using the dispatch1 as my dinner, like i said i dont do wireless fobs, cant/wont adjust while riding.
Didn't I answer your question in my earlier post?

BTW Clearwater lights include a rotary pot dimmer with their lights, but I didn't see them sell it separately (you may call them and ask, though): http://clearwaterlights.com/
Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #1721
FJRJO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilong View Post
Didn't I answer your question in my earlier post?

BTW Clearwater lights include a rotary pot dimmer with their lights, but I didn't see them sell it separately (you may call them and ask, though): http://clearwaterlights.com/
Someone I know called and they dont sell it separately.
FJRJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 AM   #1722
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzman View Post
In actual use, I find that the fob is rarely used. Typically the "be seen" or dimmed setting is where the lights are most of the time, when full power is needed, the high beam bypass that is integrated into the dimmer automatically changes the lights to full output when you flip your high beam switch.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:12 AM   #1723
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
In actual use, I find that the fob is rarely used. Typically the "be seen" or dimmed setting is where the lights are most of the time, when full power is needed, the high beam bypass that is integrated into the dimmer automatically changes the lights to full output when you flip your high beam switch.
Indeed, it's basically an adjust-once-and-forget affair. Personally I like knobs, that's why I went for a potentiometer-adjustable dimmer.

heilong screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 10:04 AM
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #1724
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,207
I can't say that I agree/disagree with snoopy as I don't know enough about LED lighting, but I think his opinions deserve a read....maybe a seperate thread about these lights in "equipment".We are a community of enthusiasts and this website is for us to share info, both good and bad The only reason I have come back to this thread was to let other's know I'm giving up on my lights. I had them (old style...not sure which one) fail on my 09 BMW Xcountry within a few months of installing them. I contacted Sanjoh and he gave me the option to return my lights for repair or get a discount on their "new" style. Not wanting to spend more money, I opted to have mine repaired at no charge...just shipping. All went well and the lights came back working. I decided to mount these on a different bike....a 99 Honda Magna, that does not get hammered as hard as the Xco. The first 15 mile trip to town, one light failed.You gotta be shittin' me! I'm sure Sanjoh would try to make it right. He seems like a good guy. It has nothing to do with him. I've wasted a ton of time mounting and wiring these lights as a permanent fixture on my bikes, only to have to undo it all when they fail. I'm not wanting to go down that road again, and will pony up the real money for some real lights.

I hope I haven't shit on anyone. That is not my intent. My customer service expierience with Sanjoh was just fine.I really loved the lights when they worked. I just wish it was a more reliable product....and maybe the new lights are, but at this point I'm afraid to take the chance.
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #1725
NomadS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
any thoughts about closing this thread and opening a new one? The lights have changed quite a bit since the original post. Might make sense to start over with a new post only listing the current specs.
NomadS is offline   Reply With Quote