Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #2101
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
So I opted to go with Skene Design's dimmer off of the recommendation of another inmate. I saw that they had some fancy alert feature, so I figured I'd spend the $20 to see what it was all about since I got a good enough discount here

My first time using alert feature was when I was sharing lanes through a packed highway ramp (not illegal in California ). I saw a car drift over like they didn't want to let me through. I already flipped the lights to high so people would see me coming up to them, this one guy just didn't care so I thought I'd try out the alert feature and he suddenly started to recorrect his car into his lane position.
Funny thing was that on a group ride this weekend, my friend mentioned that he saw me and I flashed my fancy lights at him. Said he was on the phone
But then he said that the lights were very noticeable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQGCo25_jY

I'll take some pictures with my dslr later on to help people get a better idea of the true brightness levels as it's simple enough for me to program my slr to keep the shutter speed, aperature, iso, and other fancy settings constant so the only variable will be the amount of light on the road

Almost considering purchasing a 2nd set to upgrade another bike of mine.... hehe.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #2102
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,859
We've added some accessories for our M1 bike and helmet light.

Male lead that allows you to hard wire a connection to your bike.

Want to have the brightest headlamp at your next camp out! Or need some light while using both your hands? We have a headstrap that you can mount the M1 on. Fits great over your hat. Check it out here.

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #2103
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
So I opted to go with Skene Design's dimmer off of the recommendation of another inmate. I saw that they had some fancy alert feature, so I figured I'd spend the $20 to see what it was all about since I got a good enough discount here

My first time using alert feature was when I was sharing lanes through a packed highway ramp (not illegal in California ). I saw a car drift over like they didn't want to let me through. I already flipped the lights to high so people would see me coming up to them, this one guy just didn't care so I thought I'd try out the alert feature and he suddenly started to recorrect his car into his lane position.
Funny thing was that on a group ride this weekend, my friend mentioned that he saw me and I flashed my fancy lights at him. Said he was on the phone

I'll take some pictures with my dslr later on to help people get a better idea of the true brightness levels as it's simple enough for me to program my slr to keep the shutter speed, aperature, iso, and other fancy settings constant so the only variable will be the amount of light on the road

Almost considering purchasing a 2nd set to upgrade another bike of mine.... hehe.

I question whether our cpos will see that as "impersonating an officer", not that that would keep me from using it!
I'm going to have to look at that device!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #2104
DDT Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post

Cool effect...the Skene website says to activate the ALERT mode, push the High Beam switch twice in two seconds...I didn't catch that part in your video...how did you activate the ALERT?
DDT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #2105
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
for the model 60, what is the difference between the standard and heavy duty mounts?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #2106
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk View Post
for the model 60, what is the difference between the standard and heavy duty mounts?
The heavy duty mount is roughtly twice the thickness of the standard mount.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #2107
fmfpunk
Hooligan in training

Oddometer: 1,170
Promo code doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The dimmer setup will work great. The light selection is up to you, however you can still get in on the Model 60 sale through tomorrow. Use the "m60sale" promotion code during checkout for $20 off per light. All of our leds use the same housing and mounting system. The model 44 is a fine light with a wide beam which the model 60 improves upon with more lumens. The model 30 is a spot beam, this is commonly used in combination with a wide beam to reduce the chance of blinding oncoming traffic or if you may have a limited amount of stator output available. In addition to the lights, you will need a mounting option and some wire and connectors or soldering is ok also. Please feel free to contact me sandjoh@gmail.com if have any other questions.

Look back a couple of pages for a fine example of an install on a tiger 800.

www.advmonster.com
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #2108
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Will the 60 be available in a spot pattern????

Thanks

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #2109
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfpunk View Post
Promo code doesn't work.

Webstore doesn't know what a leap year is.

If you place your order and don't get the sale price, send me an email and I will issue a refund for $20 per light today.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #2110
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Ordered mine, but no sale price. Email sent!

I was wondering, can you get the Expel in red??
Old 02-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #2111
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Ordered mine, but no sale price. Email sent!

I was wondering, can you get the Expel in red??
Refund issued.

Why would you want a red xpel

If you are wanting the brake light from hell, I can make triangulated reflectors that mount on the lens. Works a treat.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #2112
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Refund issued.

Why would you want a red xpel

If you are wanting the brake light from hell, I can make triangulated reflectors that mount on the lens. Works a treat.
Thank you!

Eventually, I plan to replace my Gen1 10w spot with the latest and greatest spot. The 10w will then go in the rear as a EuroStyle Fog & "back the *&%$ off" traffic light!

How do the triangulated reflectors work?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #2113
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Thank you!

Eventually, I plan to replace my Gen1 10w spot with the latest and greatest spot. The 10w will then go in the rear as a EuroStyle Fog & "back the *&%$ off" traffic light!

How do the triangulated reflectors work?
It works great, I've been running one for several thousand miles on the Dirt Ninja.

The "correct" name for the lens is prismatic. Instead of the light coming out in one focused beam, it hits the prisms in the lens and goes everywhere, it is full spread almost 180deg behind the bike. No need to take the light apart, it fits inside the bezel, flat on the existing lens.

No living human will not not see this

Here's a poor pic with brakes off, look closely under the rack, left of center. It's been beat off road and has held up well.

and no thats not a walking bridge
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #2114
hoadie72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Hi, great looking set of products. Are you able to advise which light has the longest throw - the model 30 or 60?

A suggestion - it'd be great if your website showed the different light pattens all on the same page.
hoadie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2115
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoadie72 View Post
Hi, great looking set of products. Are you able to advise which light has the longest throw - the model 30 or 60?

A suggestion - it'd be great if your website showed the different light pattens all on the same page.
Thanks, we've worked hard to provide great products at reasonable prices.

With respect to longest throw, the Model 60 has the longest, then Model 44, then the Model 30. While the beam is tighter on the m30, it just can't match the lumen output of the other models.