Oddometer: 9,000
Thanks

Thank you for the effective diagram.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #214
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
An after thought.

After having mine installed for a couple days, I now WISH I had installed a tiny little red LED indicator light somewhere so I could tell for sure the things are on.... (during the day).

You get to tapping the intensity switch for the three way action, and sometimes you will wonder as you are riding, are they still on?

I got mine for DAY USE as much as night use.

I wanted to be SEEN by the cage-queens on cell phones.

Anyway, next rainy crappy day, I am going to Radio Scrap and getting a red LED I can plant somewhere as an indicator lite..
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #215
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB
I was just about to post a query about a circuit diagram like this. Nice. Thanks

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #216
FJRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
These lights don't need a relay!

You really don't need a relay at all for these lights. Here's the reason: If you use two of the 24 watt lights that would be 48 watts total which is only 4 amps at 12 volts total for the set. (This is why they only have like 20ga. wire to them) Most switches are rated for at least 10 amps @ 12 volts so all you really need is a switch to operate them not a 30 or 50amp relay. The only time you would require a 50 amp relay is if you were going to run 10 sets (20 lights) of the floods which would be 40 amps at 12 volts. These aren't like regular driving lights which are in the 55 to 60 watt per light range so a pair of them would be close to 10 amps at 12 volts which is getting too close to the limit of a 10 amp switch to not use a relay and you would still only need a 30 amp relay for them. I'm just sayin....
FJRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #217
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
PM sent. Price to Australia please
Old 09-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #218
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

FJ Rick is right.

Just wire, a fuse holder and switch!

A friend of mine made an observation last night. I was leaving his place just as it was getting dark... he said, "one of your lights is brighter than the other".

I may, perhaps, have my LED's "out of sequence". At some point in the trial and wiring and "playing" with these during set-up, I think I may have them out of sink with each other if that is poss.

When I have one on medium, the other looks like it's on low. If I switch one to high, the other that was on low I think goes to medium then...

Might have to unplug them and point it at the garage door and get em in sink with each other?

Anyone else or is this my imagination?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #219
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRick
You really don't need a relay at all for these lights. Here's the reason: If you use two of the 24 watt lights that would be 48 watts total which is only 4 amps at 12 volts total for the set. (This is why they only have like 20ga. wire to them) Most switches are rated for at least 10 amps @ 12 volts so all you really need is a switch to operate them not a 30 or 50amp relay. The only time you would require a 50 amp relay is if you were going to run 10 sets (20 lights) of the floods which would be 40 amps at 12 volts. These aren't like regular driving lights which are in the 55 to 60 watt per light range so a pair of them would be close to 10 amps at 12 volts which is getting too close to the limit of a 10 amp switch to not use a relay and you would still only need a 30 amp relay for them. I'm just sayin....
That may well be, but in a CanBus system like which BMW has (as in my GSA) may not like the extra amps and come up with an warning light.

Anyone confirm that?

Something else: what about spikes from the relay operation (assuming that I have to use one) - would it be worth while to solder a capacitor on the relay (how big and which terminals?)

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #220
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick-Till-Tuesday
FJ Rick is right.

Just wire, a fuse holder and switch!

A friend of mine made an observation last night. I was leaving his place just as it was getting dark... he said, "one of your lights is brighter than the other".

I may, perhaps, have my LED's "out of sequence". At some point in the trial and wiring and "playing" with these during set-up, I think I may have them out of sink with each other if that is poss.

When I have one on medium, the other looks like it's on low. If I switch one to high, the other that was on low I think goes to medium then...

Might have to unplug them and point it at the garage door and get em in sink with each other?

Anyone else or is this my imagination?
Not your imagination. You will need to disconnect one then cycle the power on the other until at the same output setting, then reconnect.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #221
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Thanks Sanjoh,

Like most people, I confess I took one light out and played with it by hooking it up to a gel cell batt and blasting it down my rural street...

.......cool

As I was doing the install, mount and wire, it never occurred to me that these new 3 way intensity lamps could get "out of sync" with each other, but that's what it was...

Someone else has to have done the same, just disconnect them from each other, put power to one and confirm that it is on HIGH (point towards inside of garage door).

Do the same to the other.

Now, solder or reconnect them both back in tandem to your switch, and when you flip your switch they should both have advanced to "low".

And now they are friends with each other again.

Heading out for a couple days, this will be fun. Venturing into MOOSE country.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #222
Tony990adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thumb Aux. lights for my bike

PM sent! Please reply, Thanks!
Tony990adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #223
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,859
Have the regular flood came in yet?
Thanks,
Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #224
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFAULT
Have the regular flood came in yet?
Thanks,
Assfault
Yes, please email sandjoh at gmail.com
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #225
IBGONE
Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer: 1,799
Wow! The lights I ordered came today, were a breeze to install, and I just got back from a test ride with them. wOOt! They are bright and very effective. Maybe the best part was ordering them and paying for them late Monday, and Thursday evening I'm riding around with them. great service, and much appreciated.

There are no demons inside my helmet; just the magic of the Universe sliding past my every sense.
Me.
IBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote