Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #241
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I decided that I did not like my first mounting locations for these lights. I did a long trip and at highway speeds the vibrations were kinda rough.

So I gave it a little thought, bought a few bolts and washers, dug through my scrap pile and got to work:

One piece of brass, turned to size and drilled out:

Makes a very solid mounting point:

JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #242
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,895
Another satisfied customer

I received them today. That was fast.Thanks John.

I purchased 2 floods and temporarily mounted and wired. I know they are probably not DOT approved, but is anyone using these as there only lights, or as a replacement to their high beam?
I have a feeling the holesaw set will be coming out to get these installed right where I wan't them. Stay tuned for pics.
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #243
patobravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Questions:
1) How is the LED bias set for the fixed brightness version, resistor or some sort of constant current source? I'm wondering how insensitive the LED's are to variation in the VR output.
2) Is the bias handled differently on the dimmable version? I imagine it would be but not sure.

Thanks, they look real nice.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #244
kpinvt
OLDnSLO

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
I decided that I did not like my first mounting locations for these lights. I did a long trip and at highway speeds the vibrations were kinda rough.

So I gave it a little thought, bought a few bolts and washers, dug through my scrap pile and got to work:

One piece of brass, turned to size and drilled out:
They look great, will you be making any more of those? I've been trying to figure out where to mount the lights on my 2009 G650GS.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #245
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt
They look great, will you be making any more of those? I've been trying to figure out where to mount the lights on my 2009 G650GS.
In the end it's nothing more than a beefy tube or spacer. I probably could have found something at the hardware store that would do the job, but machine tools in the basement sometimes make one look at things a little differently.

If you really, REALLY want the 'steampunk' look of brass on your bike, and can't find anything around, I would be willing to turn a couple of these things for you. It's a matter of maybe 20 minutes in the shop, and I still have some of the bar I used.

I have to admit that I'm already considering a design change which would eliminate the base mounting plate. I am thinking of having a 'tee' shape to the part with tapped holes at the ends of the arms. Then I could mount the main part of the plate directly and tighten it down with an allen key. This idea evolved from an earlier one of just replacing the two interior 'locking' nuts with another turned tube. Through all of this I am trying to figure out how to get screw adjustments in there rather than having to hold the light in place and tighten things down.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #246
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
I haven't heard from John for a while, on vacation?
I emailed back and forth with him earlier this week.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #247
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 584
e-mail sent. Anyone with the spots, they aren't too bright (if aimed properly) for everyday traffic at night are they?

Thanks

D
Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #248
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,335
I run mine set on "medium" pretty much all the time. Medium plenty bright to call attention to yourself in the day time and be seen, and medium still outdoes my stock low beam at night, and does not offend cars ahead of me or oncoming (no one flashing brights at me yet).

High I reserve for those lone stretches of country roads where I am alone- and want to have the deer simply "surrender" to the lights.

I did find a happy spot with the aim- which is critical, do not think "horizontal" by any means, think of them shining and hitting the ground maybe 25 feet or so in front of the bike as a trial.

I found the sweet spot where I dont offend anyone and I get a great single great white area of light ahead of me that is not divided, and like I say, it exceeds my stock light's pale "yellow" light beam.

Be patient with John, he will take care of us!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #249
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 1,895
I really don't think my pics do the lights justice, but you get the idea. I temporarily mounted them here, but I think I'll recess them into the windscreen to better protect them when I fall

Stock low beam (actually it's an upgraded PIAA H4 bulb)

Stock high beam

(2) 24W floods

Floods with high beam

Priced right, in my mailbox in a few short days, and throw good light.
Happy customer
plumber mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #250
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,335
Mike,

I have a similar "combined" beam effect going on with the new lights- I set em or dialed the beams together a bit so they are just one white blob on the road ahead of me.

I could certainly live without my stock low beam, I think like you are thinking, but I wont nuke mine.

Can't beleive the nice white beam blast these things launch. I can think of all kinds of toys that would benefit from these lights, even one of the lights, on a ATV, jon boat, snowmobile, or mounted on an ammo can with a gel cell in it to make a nasty bright flash-light...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 AM   #251
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Thanks everyone for the tremendous response.

All pms and emails have been responded to.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #252
patobravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
All pms and emails have been responded to.
I e-mailed yesterday morning, haven't heard anything yet...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #253
jchristian79
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I heard from John earlier this week and the 24w w/dimmer are out of stock. Said about 2 weeks for more (am I allowed to share that?). The sun is setting earlier every day and I can't wait to get these things on.
jchristian79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #254
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Spots and Floods are back in stock. Dimming models coming soon.

For future purchases please see this website Same great service and I can accept credit cards. Use discount code "advrider" for 10% off.

For any questions please email sandjoh at gmail.com PM have been difficult to retrieve.

sanjoh screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 08:20 PM
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #255
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Nice website!

Just ordered a 10W/24W Combo for the 2010 BMW R1200GS, website worked very well!
Lights arrived on the 9th. (3 days later).
10W spot for long reach and 24W flood for wider beam, mounting to this inexpensive SW-Motech light bar.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5217

Using this switch (like the optics but unfortunately doesn't look to be waterproof) and a relay.
http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/el.../switches.html

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 12-13-2010 at 07:42 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote