Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #2761
michigan400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_V View Post
Perhaps this has already been answered, but on the website under the "detailed description" tab, the "beam pattern" images for the Model 44 and the Model 60 lights are clearly identical.

The Model 60 is supposed to be 3600 lumens, wide beam. The Model 44 is supposed to be 2000 lumens, wide beam.

Also, the Model 30 is "only" 1500 lumens in a spot beam, but in the photos it seems to illuminate just as wide of an area as the higher power, wide beam lights and seems even brighter.

The photos just don't seem to add up with the numbers. If anyone has an explanation/first hand experience that'd be great - I'd like to have the best 2 light combo I can.

Fence pics like garage door pics are, IMO anyway, only good at showing what a garage door or fence looks like from 20-40' away. I will say the model 30 spot is definitely a very narrow spot beam but has a very good reach still. If you have the power to run 60's, get them. If it's even just 50% more useable light than the model 30 ( should be more than that easily) it's well worth 100 bucks each. Consider this,, the BD double stryk light is 1800 lumens and they want 225 for it. You could buy 2 model 60's and a case of beer and have 4x the raw lumens. The BD unit may mange and focus the light better but I doubt it will be THAT much more efficient at throwing it forward to negate the raw power advantage of the 60's.

Just my 2 cents. I do like my model 30's and plan on getting another for a pair very soon. 3000 lumens for 120 bucks! Can't beat that with a stick! Where can you get another deal like that? These lights are also great for the "tinkerer". I'll gladly make my own mounts and harness to save some cash.
michigan400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #2762
Chuck_V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan400 View Post
Fence pics like garage door pics are, IMO anyway, only good at showing what a garage door or fence looks like from 20-40' away. I will say the model 30 spot is definitely a very narrow spot beam but has a very good reach still. If you have the power to run 60's, get them. If it's even just 50% more useable light than the model 30 ( should be more than that easily) it's well worth 100 bucks each. Consider this,, the BD double stryk light is 1800 lumens and they want 225 for it. You could buy 2 model 60's and a case of beer and have 4x the raw lumens. The BD unit may mange and focus the light better but I doubt it will be THAT much more efficient at throwing it forward to negate the raw power advantage of the 60's.

Just my 2 cents. I do like my model 30's and plan on getting another for a pair very soon. 3000 lumens for 120 bucks! Can't beat that with a stick! Where can you get another deal like that? These lights are also great for the "tinkerer". I'll gladly make my own mounts and harness to save some cash.

Agreed, I was just curious if there was an actual advantage to the M60s or if for some reason they didn't throw the light as well as the less powerful ones, or something like that.

Chuck_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #2763
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I have the three LED style lights from a few years back. I broke one of the lense covers, clear, and need to order a replacement.
Please contact me via email sandjoh@gmail.com

Quote:
However, while riding at night with these lights, the color is not right when on dirt roads. I'm moving along at speed on good dirt roads at night. They are fine on pavement. There is not the right light color to get good road surface contrast on dirt roads.
Not sure what color your dirt roads are! I run them at night and have no issues seeing the ground and every single surface undulation. The lights are 5500k color temperature which is similar to noon time sun.

Quote:
I see you have yellow lenses, which I'm thinking might help. There is also red and blue, and one called "Prism light cover red"
The prismatic red lens cover scatters light, similar to a brake light lens.

Quote:
Another question, LED control switch: 1) Wireless and wired; the difference is whether it's installed using the motorcycle battery or internal battery. Both operate the same, right? 2) Dimming function on LED's; The LED control switch can be pre-set so when the motorcycle dim lights are on using the motorcycle headlight dimmer switch, the LED's are also on but are dimmed. Then, when the motorcycle high beam is switched on using the motorcycle handlebar dimmer switch, the LED's go to full bright. Is this how the LED control switch can be wired?
You are correct for the high beam bypass models.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #2764
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
Stopped at the local Sunday morning bike hang this morning.

Can you spot the bike with the Model 60's?

You might see a few orders.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #2765
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroEngineer View Post
Anyone have pictures of the flood light/turn signal combo setup?

I'd like to know how they compare to the model 30/44/60's.

I'm mostly interested in increasing my daytime road visibility.
Noon sun in South Florida so background is very bright

Quote:
I'd like to have the best 2 light combo I can.
What type of riding are you planning on using the lights for?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #2766
Chuck_V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
What type of riding are you planning on using the lights for?
The will be mounted on the front of a KTM dualsport, used for commuting and offroad. I want maximum daytime visibility (which I know will be great with any of the lights you sell) and I also need a good spread of light for night riding. I was thinking that a wide beam to illuminate the road directly ahead and the surrounding area would pair well with a spot beam for lighting up further ahead.

The headlight on the bike now is almost nonexistent, since it's just a typical enduro headlight.

Chuck_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #2767
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
The will be mounted on the front of a KTM dualsport, used for commuting and offroad. I want maximum daytime visibility (which I know will be great with any of the lights you sell) and I also need a good spread of light for night riding. I was thinking that a wide beam to illuminate the road directly ahead and the surrounding area would pair well with a spot beam for lighting up further ahead.

The headlight on the bike now is almost nonexistent, since it's just a typical enduro headlight.
Not sure what year KTM you have but you might consider our drop in headlight replacement

98-04 Models

08-12 Models

Plenty of light, adjustable low beam, plug n play electrics, uses your stock headlight mask.

Otherwise I would recommend a pair of the Model 60s, great penetration with plenty of light elsewhere. These are a mid flood, not quite a full on flood. Need to verify you have adequate stator output as the pair of 60s will pull 56watts at full power.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #2768
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
I'm using the 44s as my running DRLs. Went to have the bike inspected yesterday and he asks me to turn off the brights. I told him they were. Dude was shocked though not as much as when I did go to high beam. The Hella's with 110w per side blinded him but the 44s are much brighter.
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2769
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Received my two Model 60, that was fast shipping! Thanks John.
I won't do the install (...electrically challenged) but I would like to know if I can install an On/Off switch; I ordered the dimmer with hi beam bypass but I would also like having the chance of turning lights on/off with a flick of the swith rather than turning the dimmer's knob.

Something like this would work?

Battery ->
Fuse ->
Relay ->
On/Off switch ->
Dimmer ->
Lights >

Overcomplicated?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #2770
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I won't do the install (...electrically challenged) but I would like to know if I can install an On/Off switch; I ordered the dimmer with hi beam bypass but I would also like having the chance of turning lights on/off with a flick of the swith rather than turning the dimmer's knob.

Battery ->
Fuse ->
Relay ->
On/Off switch ->
Dimmer ->
Lights >

Overcomplicated?
Thanks for your business!

That will work. I think you will find once the dimmed "be seen" setting is found, there is no reason to turn em off
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #2771
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post

Battery ->
Fuse ->
Relay ->
On/Off switch ->
Dimmer ->
Lights >

Overcomplicated?
Just in case you didn't know this; the high beam bypass function of the rotary dimmer will turn on the lights to 100% even if the rotary switch is in the full off position. So in a sense it can act as a dedicated on/off switch as long as you don't mind your bike's high beam coming on at the same time.

And ditto what Sanjoh said. I ride with them at about 25% full brightness to increase my "presence" here in Chicago where our drivers are some of the worst in the world. I've only had the model 60's on my bike for about 350 miles but I can tell you without a doubt that more car drivers notice me than before.

Jazz62 screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 05:22 PM
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #2772
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
Just in case you didn't know this; the high beam bypass function of the rotary dimmer will turn on the lights to 100% even if the rotary switch is in the full off position. So in a sense it can act as a dedicated on/off switch as long as you don't mind your bike's high beam coming on at the same time.

And ditto what Sanjoh said. I ride with them at about 25% full brightness to increase my "presence" here in Chicago where our drivers are some of the worst in the world. I've only had the model 60's on my bike for about 350 miles but I can tell you without a doubt that more car drivers notice me than before.
Thaks mate. Actually I didn't know that, things keep getting better and better. I'm glad I got the dimmer w/bypass following John's advice.

I'm not sure I'm gonna install the on/off switch, it was just an idea to keep a clean install on the handlebar and having the chance of turning the lights off easily. I may not need it but it won't hurt having two controls and ... I like switches better than turning knobs

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #2773
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,055
Sooo, two nights ago I parked on the grass and didn't put my kickstand on a pad or board (like I always do). It rained... poured... through the night. I came out in the morning to my bike lying on its side and the kickstand buried in the yard. Dolt!

The left fork-mounted model 30 was half buried in the ground. I lifted the bike up and noticed the light was crooked. Upon further inspection, there was absolutely no damage to the light or the mount. On the ground there was about an inch deep advmonster light-shaped dent in the ground. lol. All I needed to do was readjust the aim and it was good to go.

Although this was obviously very minor, it's nice to see the lights AND MOUNT can stand up to it! Thanks for a great product Sanjoh.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #2774
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
John: Some nice OEM LED's from BMW. If you were to sell a lens front with yours they could be considered street legal and would be super usefull also on the street.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #2775
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
Hi Sandjoh,

I sent you an e-mail. Can you please check.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote