User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #3301
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Sean-O.

How did you break the lens? Flying rock, or crash?

I always worry about trashing out my lights cause I tend to ride pretty close sometimes to the buddy in front of me to avoid dust. Plays hell on equipment though.

I found these GREAT covers for the lights I built and they also fit these Monster lights as well to protect them from rock hits and probably crashes to a lesser extent....will have to post a picture.

They are silicon and can be had in clear (which really let the light through pretty well too), or red. When installed they are kind of tight fitting so hold some air pressure as well and that really acts as a nice air cushion to keep them in one piece.

sanjoh, you might want to buy some of these and offer as an option too!

dvgonzo screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 02:26 PM
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #3302
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

The clear ones are available from Caplugs and mostly used as masks for when plating or painting things. Real nice stretchy and tough 100% silicone so it stands up to heat real well too. I think they said up to 500 degrees?

Unfortunately to get them from Caplugs you have to buy a huge quantity.

The red ones are available through McMaster Carr and you still have to buy 10 but for only 1.60 apiece they are a great deal.

Here is the part number: 92805K47

I cut the red covers down about an inch as my two outside lights are not as long as the monster ones. Monster cover one is full length as delivered.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #3303
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
A guys gotta ride

Email coming with PP invoice.
well done

dvgonzo.......i crash sometimes ...i like to push the pace a lil bit till my skills runout

there's a few vids floating round this place of my exploits on my xrr
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #3304
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

That is funny, maybe it is some sort of virus or disease?

I seem to be afflicted with the same thing and it comes on all of a sudden!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #3305
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Sanjoh
the plastic knob on the dimmer broke off. Is there anything I can splice in to replace the switch? It still works but the adjuster is flush to the housing and I can only turn it by sticking a key in there.
Garrett
Not much will stick to the polyethelyne shaft for the knob. I would recommend setting it up to come on with the bike, you will not need to adjust it once you find the dimmed setting. Full power available with a flick of your high beam.

How the heck did it get "broke off"?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #3306
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Not much will stick to the polyethelyne shaft for the knob. I would recommend setting it up to come on with the bike, you will not need to adjust it once you find the dimmed setting. Full power available with a flick of your high beam.

How the heck did it get "broke off"?
Yeah it's basically is set up that way but it's nice to have the ability to turn it off. I winter ride my bike up here and dropped it on a trail. The tank bag rubbed against it and the knob snapped off. I think it was brittle due to the cold.
Garrett
Old 04-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #3307
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Yeah it's basically is set up that way but it's nice to have the ability to turn it off. I winter ride my bike up here and dropped it on a trail. The tank bag rubbed against it and the knob snapped off. I think it was brittle due to the cold.
Garrett
I would try either cutting a groove in it that you can use a fingernail or small screwdriver on, or use a suitable bit of metal like a cut flat top nail and melt it into the shaft. Of course I am not sure of the size of the shaft.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 08:00 PM Reason: Nail, not nain! Argh!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #3308
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Bright, but that's about it

I recently installed a pair of Model 60 on my FJR (a sport touring motorcycle). I really should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

The Model 60 puts out lots of light, but since it is a true flood light I found that the light did not go where it was useful. I don't want to insult anyone who has a grasp of what I mean, but for those who might be unclear here is what I encountered.

The Model 60 as a flood light sends the light up, down, and to the sides pretty equally. The light going up looks impressive in some photos, but other than when approaching a steep hill, there is nothing up there that I want to see. The light to the side could be useful for spotting critters at the edge of the road, and this what I was after, but that didn't work out. The big problem comes with the light that goes down, the light that lights up the road in front of the bike. This light would be useful on the trail or at very slow speeds, but it basically blinds you for what is down the road. This is why your headlights, driving lights, and fog lights all have specific reflectors. They put the light where it will do you the most good.

Again, I should have known better since I've read articles that explain why you don't want lights that reflect off the road surface in front of you. Reading many positive posts I thought I could find a good aiming compromise, but I couldn't, and believe me I tried, over and over. If I aimed high enough to keep the light off the road right in front of the bike the light were pretty much pointed toward the sky. If I aimed to the side enough to keep the light from the road in front of the bike I was lighting up the edges of the road very close to me, not down the road to let me see potential hazards. At any speed above 40mph I could see much better down the road with the Model 60 lights off and my high beam on.

An ATV or dirt bike on the trail would likely benefit from these lights, but they definitely were not designed to provide useful light for a motorcycle on the highway. Lots of lumens does not always equal better lighting.

If, after reading this you are still thinking of buying a set of lights for your motorcycle, you might want to do yourself a favor and only order one to start. That way you can try it out and if it isn't going to work for your application you are only out the cost of one light instead of two since there is a 'no return' policy for lights from this vendor.

past_tense screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 04:23 PM Reason: additional info
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #3309
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I would try either cutting a groove in it that you can use a fingernail or small screwdriver on, or use a suitable bit of metal like a cut flat top nain and melt it into the shaft. Of course I am not sure of the size of the shaft.

Jim
Good idea Jiim!

Thanks for that.

Garrett
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3310
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post
I recently installed a pair of Model 60 on my FJR (a sport touring motorcycle). I really should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

The Model 60 puts out lots of light, but since it is a true flood light I found that the light did not go where it was useful. I don't want to insult anyone who has a grasp of what I mean, but for those who might be unclear here is what I encountered.

The Model 60 as a flood light sends the light up, down, and to the sides pretty equally. The light going up looks impressive in some photos, but other than when approaching a steep hill, there is nothing up there that I want to see. The light to the side could be useful for spotting critters at the edge of the road, and this what I was after, but that didn't work out. The big problem comes with the light that goes down, the light that lights up the road in front of the bike. This light would be useful on the trail or at very slow speeds, but it basically blinds you for what is down the road. This is why your headlights, driving lights, and fog lights all have specific reflectors. They put the light where it will do you the most good.

Again, I should have known better since I've read articles that explain why you don't want lights that reflect off the road surface in front of you. Reading many positive posts I thought I could find a good aiming compromise, but I couldn't, and believe me I tried, over and over. If I aimed high enough to keep the light off the road right in front of the bike the light were pretty much pointed toward the sky. If I aimed to the side enough to keep the light from the road in front of the bike I was lighting up the edges of the road very close to me, not down the road to let me see potential hazards. At any speed above 40mph I could see much better down the road with the Model 60 lights off and my high beam on.

An ATV or dirt bike on the trail would likely benefit from these lights, but they definitely were not designed to provide useful light for a motorcycle on the highway. Lots of lumens does not always equal better lighting.

If, after reading this you are still thinking of buying a set of lights for your motorcycle, you might want to do yourself a favor and only order one to start. That way you can try it out and if it isn't going to work for your application you are only out the cost of one light instead of two since there is a 'no return' policy for lights from this vendor.
Try out the model 30s. They are a spot beam. I run a set on my ST bike and they work great
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #3311
past_tense
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Try out the model 30s. They are a spot beam. I run a set on my ST bike and they work great
Sent you a PM.

I've considered them, but the light pattern on those seem to go too far the other direction to where they don't seem to light up much area, at least that what it seems like in the pictures I've seen.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #3312
hoadie72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post
Sent you a PM.

I've considered them, but the light pattern on those seem to go too far the other direction to where they don't seem to light up much area, at least that what it seems like in the pictures I've seen.
What about a combination of a spot to give you distance and a flood to fill that gap. It's generally what you'd do on a 4wd & is what I'd look to do.
hoadie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #3313
past_tense
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoadie72 View Post
What about a combination of a spot to give you distance and a flood to fill that gap. It's generally what you'd do on a 4wd & is what I'd look to do.
The problem with the combination is that you still have the flood light blinding you. Even one flood light is enough to put way too much light on the road directly in front of the bike.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #3314
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 775
Have you tried taping a Pringles can to it to keep the light off the road directly in front of you ? No ? Me neither ! Yet...
COHVCO #7369

Dusty_Bottoms screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 11:22 PM
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #3315
thebrown
likes beer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Have you tried taping a Pringles can to it to keep the light off the road directly in front of you ? No ? Me neither ! Yet...
i was thinking something like that...
beer can reflectors/bottom peaks
.... more fun to make
thebrown is offline   Reply With Quote