Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #3316
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by past_tense View Post
I recently installed a pair of Model 60 on my FJR (a sport touring motorcycle). I really should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

The Model 60 puts out lots of light, but since it is a true flood light I found that the light did not go where it was useful. I don't want to insult anyone who has a grasp of what I mean, but for those who might be unclear here is what I encountered.

The Model 60 as a flood light sends the light up, down, and to the sides pretty equally. The light going up looks impressive in some photos, but other than when approaching a steep hill, there is nothing up there that I want to see. The light to the side could be useful for spotting critters at the edge of the road, and this what I was after, but that didn't work out. The big problem comes with the light that goes down, the light that lights up the road in front of the bike. This light would be useful on the trail or at very slow speeds, but it basically blinds you for what is down the road. This is why your headlights, driving lights, and fog lights all have specific reflectors. They put the light where it will do you the most good.

Again, I should have known better since I've read articles that explain why you don't want lights that reflect off the road surface in front of you. Reading many positive posts I thought I could find a good aiming compromise, but I couldn't, and believe me I tried, over and over. If I aimed high enough to keep the light off the road right in front of the bike the light were pretty much pointed toward the sky. If I aimed to the side enough to keep the light from the road in front of the bike I was lighting up the edges of the road very close to me, not down the road to let me see potential hazards. At any speed above 40mph I could see much better down the road with the Model 60 lights off and my high beam on.

An ATV or dirt bike on the trail would likely benefit from these lights, but they definitely were not designed to provide useful light for a motorcycle on the highway. Lots of lumens does not always equal better lighting.

If, after reading this you are still thinking of buying a set of lights for your motorcycle, you might want to do yourself a favor and only order one to start. That way you can try it out and if it isn't going to work for your application you are only out the cost of one light instead of two since there is a 'no return' policy for lights from this vendor.
Where did you mount your lights?

Give me a call or email (9549935581 or sandjoh@gmail.com) I'd like to have an opporutnity to meet your lighting needs. Sounds like you may have needed a spot.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #3317
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Where did you mount your lights?

Give me a call or email (9549935581 or sandjoh@gmail.com) I'd like to have an opporutnity to meet your lighting needs. Sounds like you may have needed a spot.
I started with the lights mounted on the forks and then tried them under the mirrors. Neither location was acceptable since both produced the same problem, way too much light hitting the road surface in front of the bike.
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #3318
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,609
Quote:
I started with the lights mounted on the forks and then tried them under the mirrors. Neither location was acceptable since both produced the same problem, way too much light hitting the road surface in front of the bike.
From my experience that is what fogs do. I have the spots and they do not do that! I can see way down the road, though there is no cut off, I do not use them in traffic.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #3319
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Please contact me if you have any interest in the Model 30s.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #3320
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
I recently installed a pair of Model 60 on my FJR (a sport touring motorcycle). I really should have known better, but I bought into the hype.

The Model 60 puts out lots of light, but since it is a true flood light I found that the light did not go where it was useful. I don't want to insult anyone who has a grasp of what I mean, but for those who might be unclear here is what I encountered.

The Model 60 as a flood light sends the light up, down, and to the sides pretty equally. The light going up looks impressive in some photos, but other than when approaching a steep hill, there is nothing up there that I want to see. The light to the side could be useful for spotting critters at the edge of the road, and this what I was after, but that didn't work out. The big problem comes with the light that goes down, the light that lights up the road in front of the bike. This light would be useful on the trail or at very slow speeds, but it basically blinds you for what is down the road. This is why your headlights, driving lights, and fog lights all have specific reflectors. They put the light where it will do you the most good.

Again, I should have known better since I've read articles that explain why you don't want lights that reflect off the road surface in front of you. Reading many positive posts I thought I could find a good aiming compromise, but I couldn't, and believe me I tried, over and over. If I aimed high enough to keep the light off the road right in front of the bike the light were pretty much pointed toward the sky. If I aimed to the side enough to keep the light from the road in front of the bike I was lighting up the edges of the road very close to me, not down the road to let me see potential hazards. At any speed above 40mph I could see much better down the road with the Model 60 lights off and my high beam on.

An ATV or dirt bike on the trail would likely benefit from these lights, but they definitely were not designed to provide useful light for a motorcycle on the highway. Lots of lumens does not always equal better lighting.

If, after reading this you are still thinking of buying a set of lights for your motorcycle, you might want to do yourself a favor and only order one to start. That way you can try it out and if it isn't going to work for your application you are only out the cost of one light instead of two since there is a 'no return' policy for lights from this vendor.
dibs 50$ each.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #3321
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 958
lights

Well after following this thread for 220 pages I puled the trigger and bought a pair of 60's with a dimmer. Then I read this one guy is having a problem with them and makes me a bit nervous. But so far all I can say the service so far has been top notch and other vendors should take notice. I cant wait to get the lights and try them out.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #3322
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Well after following this thread for 220 pages I puled the trigger and bought a pair of 60's with a dimmer. Then I read this one guy is having a problem with them and makes me a bit nervous. But so far all I can say the service so far has been top notch and other vendors should take notice. I cant wait to get the lights and try them out.
I love mine! Don't get nervous yet!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #3323
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
Don't worry. I have 2 sets of the 40's, both fork mounted and installed with dimmers. I appreciate having the road lit in front of the bike as well as further down the road. No issue for me either dimmed or full power. I also had a pair of the 30 spots mounted on another bike and find I prefer the floods.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #3324
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Just curious..........

Quote:
Correct me if I an wrong............you order the wrong light...........and now you want to burn the vendor................why dont you just admit your mistake.....ask nicely and maybe he will help you out.
Dont get on the forum and act like his stuff is crap............
You are acting like an azz....................
Just sayin............
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #3325
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
You know you can dim them...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #3326
past_tense
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
Correct me if I an wrong............you order the wrong light...........and now you want to burn the vendor................why dont you just admit your mistake.....ask nicely and maybe he will help you out.
Dont get on the forum and act like his stuff is crap............
You are acting like an azz....................
Just sayin............
OK. You're wrong.

Did you read my original post?

I clearly stated TWICE in my first post that I should have known better. I then proceeded to describe my experience and even stated that I felt the lights would be beneficial to ATV and motorcycles on a trail. That seems to be a long way from acting like the stuff is crap.

I'm just curious. If I don't post how wonderful the lights are, that makes me an azz?

And as for asking nicely...This is taken directly from the vendor's website titled "Return Policy":

1. Electrical items, lighting systems, headlight bulbs, are not eligible for return, except in cases where items are clearly defective. Sales on these items are final.

Since it is listed first, repeated twice, and underlined, I took the vendor at his word.

He did contact me and offer full credit after my first post, but I had already sold the lights. Offering full credit was nice, but since the vendor does not have anything else I wish to purchase it really wouldn't have been much help.

Honest and concise feedback should never be considered 'burning' the vendor. I would think any vendor wants potential customers to have all the information concerning their products, and more importantly, I would think potential customers would be even more interested in such information.
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3327
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
OK. You're wrong.

Did you read my original post?

I clearly stated TWICE in my first post that I should have known better. I then proceeded to describe my experience and even stated that I felt the lights would be beneficial to ATV and motorcycles on a trail. That seems to be a long way from acting like the stuff is crap.

I'm just curious. If I don't post how wonderful the lights are, that makes me an azz?

And as for asking nicely...This is taken directly from the vendor's website titled "Return Policy":

1. Electrical items, lighting systems, headlight bulbs, are not eligible for return, except in cases where items are clearly defective. Sales on these items are final.

Since it is listed first, repeated twice, and underlined, I took the vendor at his word.

He did contact me and offer full credit after my first post, but I had already sold the lights. Offering full credit was nice, but since the vendor does not have anything else I wish to purchase it really wouldn't have been much help.

Honest and concise feedback should never be considered 'burning' the vendor. I would think any vendor wants potential customers to have all the information concerning their products, and more importantly, I would think potential customers would be even more interested in such information.
I don't feel "burned" at all, I appreciate the input. A bit more research an email or phone call and I would have steered you in a different direction. LED lights have a lot of benefits but I've not seen one in the beam pattern you were looking for, a flat type profile.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #3328
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,278
I pulled the trigger and placed an order.

In Flatskatchewan I should be able to see 8-10 miles, easy.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #3329
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Oddometer: 2,470
I didn't think it was rocket science to mount mine so that I could rotate the lights/mounts downward manually on demand, so the lights meet at a distant point in front of my bike and totally wash the road in white for me, and the modest downward angle does not freak out oncoming traffic at all. I also pitched them inward just a tad to get the beams to meet at the desired distance from my bike.

My goal was light on the road at night and better awareness of my presence during the day.

I achieved both - went with model 60's, running with no dimmer.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #3330
dsc522758
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I want to use the Clearwater dimmer with the ADVmonster lights. Looking at these two diagrams, will the Clearwater dimmer work the same? I guess I don't have enough post to submit pictures.